• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WH classifies Fort Hood massacre as 'workplace violence'...

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds about right. :doh:

120711_herridge_hearing.jpg

Sen. Susan Collins on Wednesday blasted the Defense Department for classifying the Fort Hood massacre as workplace violence and suggested political correctness is being placed above the security of the nation's Armed Forces at home.
During a joint session of the Senate and House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday, the Maine Republican referenced a letter from the Defense Department depicting the Fort Hood shootings as workplace violence. She criticized the Obama administration for failing to identify the threat as radical Islam.
  • fort_hood_shooting.jpg

April 9, 2010: FILE - This file photo provided by the Bell County Sheriff's Department shows U.S. Major Nidal Hasan at the Bell County Jail in Belton, Texas. Hasan was charged in the Fort Hood shooting rampage.

Thirteen people were killed and dozens more wounded at Fort Hood in 2009, and the number of alleged plots targeting the military has grown significantly since then. Lawmakers said there have been 33 plots against the U.S. military since Sept. 11, 2001, and 70 percent of those threats have been since mid-2009. Major Nidal Hasan, a former Army psychiatrist, who is being held for the attacks, allegedly was inspired by radical U.S.-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Yemen in late September. The two men exchanged as many as 20 emails, according to U.S. officials, and Awlaki declared Hasan a hero.
The chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, Connecticut independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, said the military has become a "direct target of violent Islamist extremism" within the United States.
"The stark reality is that the American service member is increasingly in the terrorists' scope and not just overseas in a traditional war setting," Lieberman told Fox News before the start of Wednesday's hearing.
In June, two men allegedly plotted to attack a Seattle, Wash., military installation using guns and grenades. In July, Army Pvt. Naser Abdo was accused of planning a second attack on Fort Hood. And in November, New York police arrested Jose Pimentel, who alleged sought to kill service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Both Pimentel and Abdo also allegedly drew inspiration from al-Awlaki and the online jihadist magazine Inspire, which includes a spread on how to "Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom."
Rep. Peter King of New York, the Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said military service members are "symbols of America's power, symbols of America's might."
"And if they (military personnel) can be killed, then that is a great propaganda victory for al Qaeda," King told Fox News.
King said there is also evidence that extremists have joined the services.
"There is a serious threat within the military from people who have enlisted who are radical jihadists," King said. "The Defense Department is very concerned about them. They feel they're a threat to the military both for what they can do within the military itself and also because of the weapons skills they acquire while they're in the military."
The witnesses testifying before the joint session include Paul N. Stockton, assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense; Jim Stuteville, U.S. Army senior adviser for counterintelligence operations and liaison to the FBI; Lt. Col. Reid L. Sawyer, director of the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point, and Darius Long, whose son, Army Pvt. William Andrew Long, was shot and killed at an Arkansas military recruitment center in 2009.
A second private was also injured in the Arkansas attack. Both victims had just finished basic training and had not been deployed. They were outside the Arkansas recruitment center when the shooter opened fire from a passing truck. The shooter, Carlos Bledsoe, pleaded guilty to the crime earlier this year.
In a letter to the court, Bledsoe said he carried out the attack on behalf of al Qaeda in Yemen -- the group that was behind the last two major plots targeting the U.S. airline industry.
"My faith in government is diminished. It invents euphemisms ... Little Rock is a drive by and Fort Hood is just workplace violence. The truth is denied," Long testified.
King said the web is the driver of the new digital jihad.
"It enables people -- rather than having to travel to Afghanistan to learn about jihad or to be trained, they can do it right over the Internet," he said. "And this is a growing role."
And while Awlaki and his colleague Samir Khan, who was behind the magazine Inspire, were killed in a CIA-led operation in September, King warned against overconfidence that al Qaeda in Yemen was done.
"This is a definite short-term victory for us. There's no doubt they are going to regroup, that there will be others who will be providing Internet data, inspiration to jihadists in this country, instructions on how to make bombs," he said.
While King was heavily criticized, in some quarters, for launching his hearings 10 months ago on homegrown terrorism, the congressman said the joint session shows the threat is legitimate, and recognized as such by other members of Congress.
"To me it's a validation of what I've been trying to do all year," King emphasized. "There's a definite threat from Islamic radicalization in various parts of our society, including within the military, and we can't allow political correctness to keep us from exposing this threat for what it is."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...errorist-target-lawmakers-warn/#ixzz1ftniq8z0

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well technically it was work place violence not much different other than the reasons than say a postal worker going postal. Now with that out of the way it was also the act of a embedded terrorist too. If more of the soldiers where allowed to carry on the job when on a home base in the US the out come might have been different but I have doubts it wouldn't of been differently then. Just saying not defending the WH.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good points Joe. He was a co-worker in that respect.
I don't care what they call it as long as actions are taken to prevent it from happening again. Allowing them to carry on base would be a good start.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Good points Joe. He was a co-worker in that respect.
I don't care what they call it as long as actions are taken to prevent it from happening again. Allowing them to carry on base would be a good start.

No argument from me on preventing from happening again at all.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was a terrorist attack. Anything for this hafblak a-hole to say he protected the US against terrorism.
The guy is a terrorist.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
It was a terrorist attack. Anything for this hafblak a-hole to say he protected the US against terrorism.
The guy is a terrorist.

The attack came from an Officer in the Army on fellow soldiers so it could also be called a FRAG incident too. It really doesn't matter what it is called it is what it is a waste of human life for some religious beliefs.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, Twin Towers was also a workplace violence act too using that logic.

The great bow-er and appeaser will do anything to say no act of terrorism occurred on his watch, especially to a group of people he is directly in charge of.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, Twin Towers was also a workplace violence act too using that logic.

The great bow-er and appeaser will do anything to say no act of terrorism occurred on his watch, especially to a group of people he is directly in charge of.

Really? Didn't know the terrorist on the plane where employees at the twin towers or even the airlines they was on. But feel free to call it what ever as it really doesn't matter as I said in my very first post regardless of what we call it really doesn't matter now does it. Oh wait, this is about what the current administration called it and nothing more. It is still simply cold blooded murder period by any name.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
As Joe C screams "Hail OBama!!!"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rorist-target-lawmakers-warn/?intcmp=trending

Sen. Susan Collins on Wednesday blasted the Defense Department for classifying the Fort Hood massacre as workplace violence and suggested political correctness is being placed above the security of the nation's Armed Forces at home.

During a joint session of the Senate and House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday, the Maine Republican referenced a letter from the Defense Department depicting the Fort Hood shootings as workplace violence. She criticized the Obama administration for failing to identify the threat as radical Islam.

Thirteen people were killed and dozens more wounded at Fort Hood in 2009, and the number of alleged plots targeting the military has grown significantly since then. Lawmakers said there have been 33 plots against the U.S. military since Sept. 11, 2001, and 70 percent of those threats have been since mid-2009. Major Nidal Hasan, a former Army psychiatrist, who is being held for the attacks, allegedly was inspired by radical U.S.-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Yemen in late September. The two men exchanged as many as 20 emails, according to U.S. officials, and Awlaki declared Hasan a hero.

The chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, Connecticut independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, said the military has become a "direct target of violent Islamist extremism" within the United States.
"The stark reality is that the American service member is increasingly in the terrorists' scope and not just overseas in a traditional war setting," Lieberman told Fox News before the start of Wednesday's hearing.

In June, two men allegedly plotted to attack a Seattle, Wash., military installation using guns and grenades. In July, Army Pvt. Naser Abdo was accused of planning a second attack on Fort Hood. And in November, New York police arrested Jose Pimentel, who alleged sought to kill service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Both Pimentel and Abdo also allegedly drew inspiration from al-Awlaki and the online jihadist magazine Inspire, which includes a spread on how to "Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom."

Rep. Peter King of New York, the Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said military service members are "symbols of America's power, symbols of America's might."

"And if they (military personnel) can be killed, then that is a great propaganda victory for al Qaeda," King told Fox News.

King said there is also evidence that extremists have joined the services.

"There is a serious threat within the military from people who have enlisted who are radical jihadists," King said. "The Defense Department is very concerned about them. They feel they're a threat to the military both for what they can do within the military itself and also because of the weapons skills they acquire while they're in the military."

The witnesses testifying before the joint session include Paul N. Stockton, assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense; Jim Stuteville, U.S. Army senior adviser for counterintelligence operations and liaison to the FBI; Lt. Col. Reid L. Sawyer, director of the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point, and Darius Long, whose son, Army Pvt. William Andrew Long, was shot and killed at an Arkansas military recruitment center in 2009.

A second private was also injured in the Arkansas attack. Both victims had just finished basic training and had not been deployed. They were outside the Arkansas recruitment center when the shooter opened fire from a passing truck. The shooter, Carlos Bledsoe, pleaded guilty to the crime earlier this year.

In a letter to the court, Bledsoe said he carried out the attack on behalf of al Qaeda in Yemen -- the group that was behind the last two major plots targeting the U.S. airline industry.

"My faith in government is diminished. It invents euphemisms ... Little Rock is a drive by and Fort Hood is just workplace violence. The truth is denied," Long testified.

King said the web is the driver of the new digital jihad.

"It enables people -- rather than having to travel to Afghanistan to learn about jihad or to be trained, they can do it right over the Internet," he said. "And this is a growing role."

And while Awlaki and his colleague Samir Khan, who was behind the magazine Inspire, were killed in a CIA-led operation in September, King warned against overconfidence that al Qaeda in Yemen was done.

"This is a definite short-term victory for us. There's no doubt they are going to regroup, that there will be others who will be providing Internet data, inspiration to jihadists in this country, instructions on how to make bombs," he said.

While King was heavily criticized, in some quarters, for launching his hearings 10 months ago on homegrown terrorism, the congressman said the joint session shows the threat is legitimate, and recognized as such by other members of Congress.

"To me it's a validation of what I've been trying to do all year," King emphasized. "There's a definite threat from Islamic radicalization in various parts of our society, including within the military, and we can't allow political correctness to keep us from exposing this threat for what it is."

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we definately know the religion of the commander and cheif now, don't we....:whistling:

Regards, kirk

Kane

When a person committing workplace violence happens to kill multiple persons all the while screaming "Allah Akbar" ... it is an act of radical Islamic terrorism.

And except when you ask Eric "we are a nation of cowards" Holder, kinetic paramilitary events is usually called war.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
It is another islamo-maggot, sub-human, terrorist, that should be relieved of it's life ASAP, just like all the rest.

Now it will waste millions of taxpayer dollars that we cant afford on a long drawn out trial and wind up in a hospital-country club for many years to come.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well technically it was work place violence not much different other than the reasons than say a postal worker going postal. Now with that out of the way it was also the act of a embedded terrorist too. If more of the soldiers where allowed to carry on the job when on a home base in the US the out come might have been different but I have doubts it wouldn't of been differently then. Just saying not defending the WH.

Ok for you that are a little slow getting the point of a message I highlighted my first post to this tread.

Now it really doesn't matter what the hell it is called as the end is the same, mass murder. Now that should get this guy the death sentence the same as any mass murderer be it Ted Bundy or an Islamic terrorist that sets a bomb in a square. It doesn't make one bit of difference as they can only kill the guy once but odds are they won't if he is classed as a terrorist. It seems terrorist go to Gitmo or prison but not to death unless caught in the field of combat.

Kane

Let's face it. This was clearly an act of Jihad. Allah Akbar!!

That said, the question remains as how to handle Jihad (terrorism) on American soil by and American citizen. Is it a war crime? ... or is it classified as a hate crime. Is it to be handled by a military tribunal? ... or protected by the rights of a criminal court?

It seems Holder from the onset has been determined to try all cases of "workplace violence" or war crimes in an American criminal court, and at one point was determined to give Miranda rights to unlawful combatants captured on the battle field.

Idiot.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Let's face it. This was clearly an act of Jihad. Allah Akbar!!

That said, the question remains as how to handle Jihad (terrorism) on American soil by and American. Is it a war crime? ... or is it classified as a hate crime. Is it to be handled by a military tribunal? ... or protected by the rights of a criminal court?

It seems Holder from the onset has been determined to try all cases of "workplace violence" or war crimes in an American criminal court, and at one point was determined to give Miranda rights to unlawful combatants captured on the battle field.

Idiot.

Now let me ask you this? How many people charged with terrorism in the US that where put to death or sent to prison? Now compare that to multiple killings in the work place? I would be willing to bet that the majority of those that weren't killed by police or their own hand at the time got the death sentence. Other than home grown terrorist, I know of now Muslim terrorist held by the US that has been put to death especially in a military tribunal. Fort Hood is in Texas and if tried there under the charges of murder in American criminal court, I'm willing to be he is put to death a military tribunal I seriously doubt it.

Kane

Now let me ask you this? How many people charged with terrorism in the US that where put to death or sent to prison? Now compare that to multiple killings in the work place? I would be willing to bet that the majority of those that weren't killed by police or their own hand at the time got the death sentence. Other than home grown terrorist, I know of now Muslim terrorist held by the US that has been put to death especially in a military tribunal. Fort Hood is in Texas and if tried there under the charges of murder in American criminal court, I'm willing to be he is put to death a military tribunal I seriously doubt it.

Let me ask you this: What would be the chances that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed would get off in civilian court due to lack of evidence? Most everything we have on him would be withheld under motions to suppress. Almost everything.

A guaranteed Casey Anthony spectacle, and the man would walk.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree however we aren't discussing that case are we. We are discussing the case of U.S. Major Nidal Hasan being tried for the murder of 13 people and attempted murder of another dozen or so others that he wounded. He is currently sitting in a Bell County Jail in Belton, Texas and if charged by civilian law the odds are strong he will get the death sentence. However charge him as a terrorist which now falls under federal law with possibly a different out come. A military trial isn't necessary in this case as all of the evidence will likely never be suppressed as it wasn't gotten under secret circumstances. I simply think they are charging the guy with the crime that he will most likely pay the heaviest penalty for with the least amount of time spent.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe,

I believe it does make a difference what we call it. It was an act of jihad against the U.S. military by a self-avowed
Islamic Supremacist. As such it was an act of war against this country. We should call it such and not try to obfuscate
by coming up with "softer" terminology. And yes, "workplace violence" is a much softer description than "act of war"!!

Every time we label these attacks as other than what they really are, we desensitize ourselves to their true nature.
These animals have declared war on us and calling their attacks anything else is a disservice to those who have
died. If we do not acknowledge that this is a war we have very little chance of prevailing and and our descendants
will pay the ultimate price.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Joe,

I believe it does make a difference what we call it. It was an act of jihad against the U.S. military by a self-avowed
Islamic Supremacist. As such it was an act of war against this country. We should call it such and not try to obfuscate
by coming up with "softer" terminology. And yes, "workplace violence" is a much softer description than "act of war"!!

Every time we label these attacks as other than what they really are, we desensitize ourselves to their true nature.
These animals have declared war on us and calling their attacks anything else is a disservice to those who have
died. If we do not acknowledge that this is a war we have very little chance of prevailing and and our descendants
will pay the ultimate price.

OK we call it an act of war and lock him up then what when the war is over we let him go as has been the running record of most war prisoners taken from the first minutes the war in Afghanistan started with the previous administration letting about 300 of them go eventually.

So we call him a traitor to his country again that doesn't call him a terrorist either which he really is. Terrorism is really just a tactic nothing more. It has just become a term to describe the current group of Muslims which is also desensitizing also. A term or lie is really all the same if people hear it repeated enough the believe it and move on.

As I said it really doesn't matter as long as he pays the price for it and he would best get what he deserves if tried for murder of 13 people and at least a dozen attempted murders. If that is what the out come will be Texas is the best state as they put about twice as many to death as any other state.

I just don't understand what the problem is in a name it is the outcome that counts. You want him dead or in jail for the rest of his life. I'm basically against the death penalty in most cases however this one has been dead busted. To bad he survived his wounds or they didn't finish the job on the way to the hospital so we wouldn't be even discussing the semantics of what to call him.

Kane

From a pragmatic standpoint, joec, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. I think what bothers some people is the Obama administration's refusal to confront the issue of terrorism and radical Islamic Jihad for what it really is.

War. And the war on terror.

Some call it the Muslim problem. Works for me.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
From a pragmatic standpoint, joec, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. I think what bothers some people is the Obama administration's refusal to confront the issue of terrorism and radical Islamic Jihad for what it really is.

War. And the war on terror.

Some call it the Muslim problem. Works for me.

This administration has probably killed more terrorist in 3 years than the previous one did in 7 years. As for not confronting terrorism or deal with it, I just don't buy at all. I think they are dealing with it just fine, as to me the best way to deal with them is send them to their paradise.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This administration has probably killed more terrorist in 3 years than the previous one did in 7 years. As for not confronting terrorism or deal with it, I just don't buy at all. I think they are dealing with it just fine, as to me the best way to deal with them is send them to their paradise.
I find that hard to swallow Joe. I have not seen anything other than the bin laden killing. All I can think of that Obama has done is continue efforts that were already underway when he took office. To his credit, he did not stop these efforts, but if he had tried I do think that would have been a huge mistake. Guess he thought that way also.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I find that hard to swallow Joe. I have not seen anything other than the bin laden killing. All I can think of that Obama has done is continue efforts that were already underway when he took office. To his credit, he did not stop these efforts, but if he had tried I do think that would have been a huge mistake. Guess he thought that way also.

Perhaps you need to get out more as this administration has taken down about 30 top terrorist including the American Cleric tied to this clown in addition to a number of other plots. It has been reported every time in the news at least the real news programs. Keep in mind he has spread out to other countries with their assistance taking down the terrorist networks that are all over the world. It is easy to find I'm sure but believe it or not is up to you.

Note: Here is a short list of the real important ones but their are much lessor knows as well. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/the-terrorist-notches-on-obamas-belt/ Now if you don't like the source they can all be cross referenced through even Fox news if you dig deep enough there. However the AP and even the Middle East press has covered it as well.

Last edited:

Kane

Perhaps you need to get out more as this administration has taken down about 30 top terrorist including the American Cleric tied to this clown in addition to a number of other plots. It has been reported every time in the news at least the real news programs. Keep in mind he has spread out to other countries with their assistance taking down the terrorist networks that are all over the world. It is easy to find I'm sure but believe it or not is up to you.

Note: Here is a short list of the real important ones but their are much lessor knows as well. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/09/the-terrorist-notches-on-obamas-belt/ Now if you don't like the source they can all be cross referenced through even Fox news if you dig deep enough there. However the AP and even the Middle East press has covered it as well.
I think Doc had it. All of these "terminations" were well under way years ago vis a vis Bush, the intelligence community and our covert military group. Obama, a known leader from behind, is welcome to take credit for it, but, again to his credit, did not try to stop the excellent work of the CIA/FBI/Special Op's.

Get real, joec.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I think Doc had it. All of these "terminations" were well under way years ago vis a vis Bush, the intelligence community and our covert military group. Obama, a known leader from behind, is welcome to take credit for it, but, again to his credit, did not try to stop the excellent work of the CIA/FBI/Special Op's.

Get real, joec.

Ok I'll give Bush credit but damn you also have to accept credit for the other things Bush didn't do right and the mess he left then. This is a two way street guys so feel free to look at facts through your own rules then. :doh: