• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Visit Scenic Ohio with Doc & Dave

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: ForumsForums membership Map

Hey Doc, I drive right past you when I go to visit my dad and g-ma in WV. I take 33 out of Columbus to US50, then all the way over to Clarksburg.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

You sure do. I'm in Cols. fairly regular. I know that Rt. 33 real well. Sure will be glad when they get the bypass road construction done around Lancaster. :)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Doc said:
Sure will be glad when they get the bypass road construction done around Lancaster. :)

I didn't know they were building a bypass! :thumb: That will improve the trip tremendously. Lancaster was the worst part of that trip (well, since they finished the US50 work between Athens and Parkersburg a few years ago.....that was a MESS!). I haven't been down that route in a few years, because we have been pulling a trailer to/from WV the last couple times, and tht interstate is better for that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Yeah, I agree. If I'm pulling a trailer I much prefer the interstate. I drove 50 between Athens and Coolville for years with it just two lane. Your right, that was a huge improvement. Now they are building a bridge so that you don't have to go thru Belpre / Parkersburg to make the RT 50 connection. Rt 50 will be a 65mph 4 lane highway, that will bypass Belpre and go right thru Pburg. That's supposed to be done in 2007. Everything is done but the bridge. They started it a few months ago. That will save you 20 mins or more on a trip to Clarksburg I'd guess.
Give me a shout if you want to stop in my neck of the woods for coffee or whatever. It would be nice to meet you.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Doc said:
Yeah, I agree. If I'm pulling a trailer I much prefer the interstate. I drove 50 between Athens and Coolville for years with it just two lane. Your right, that was a huge improvement. Now they are building a bridge so that you don't have to go thru Belpre / Parkersburg to make the RT 50 connection. Rt 50 will be a 65mph 4 lane highway, that will bypass Belpre and go right thru Pburg. That's supposed to be done in 2007. Everything is done but the bridge. They started it a few months ago. That will save you 20 mins or more on a trip to Clarksburg I'd guess.

Wow, that will be nice to go straight through Belpre/Pburg instead of twisting through downtown. Did they bypass the east end of Pburg also? That was all car dealers and restaurants up until the I77 interchange, and I can't believe that was widened to full interstate.

Doc said:
Give me a shout if you want to stop in my neck of the woods for coffee or whatever. It would be nice to meet you.

I will do that. I'm still not sure if I am going down for deer season next month, but I will let you know if I am (as the song says...) headed to your town.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The name of this project is Rt 50 corridor D bypass. It was started in 1967 or so. At that time is was going to take out a very nice neighborhood of houses. They fought it, and the battles begun. 30 plus years later it is just now getting close to completion. WV is just that way, slow!
The bypass takes you thru south side P-burg, and dumps you right where I-77 crosses 50. There is still a light at that interesction (77 & 50), but that is the only one. The highway is open and used by us locals. It is very nice. And mostly empty, at least until the bridge is done. My day job takes me to P-burg daily. So, if it's during the week that your passing thru, we'll probably meet somewhere in Parkersburg. That'd be cool Dave. I'm looking forward to hooking up.

Here's a link to the maps of how things all hook up:

http://www.wvcorridord.com/proj_maps.htm

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Wow, Dave. That's quite a drive. I was thinking you were just across the border in IN. They do have some big deer over there in Richie county WV (harrisville area, you pass thru it going to Clarksburg). I've seen herds there of 20+. Never seen that many in one place anyplace else.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

My gramma and grampas (and now my dads) farm is right in the middle of the corridors for the RT50 widening project. Once you get east of Bridgeport, it is back to twisty hilly two lane road. Two of the three planned ROW go right smack through the middle of the family property.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Doc said:
Never seen that many in one place anyplace else.

You need to come up to the Chicago forest preserves. There have been deer population reported in the forest preserves as high as 1 or 2 per acre! They attempted to allow bow hunting a few years ago to specially selected hunters, but the public outcry was incredible. Apparently, everyone prefers to have them roaming through the neighborhoods eating rose bushes and running out in front of cars. :toilet: