• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Types of Government - Republic vs. Democracy vs. Oligarchy

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a perty good explanation about government history, not that most dont know it, I just think a lot of folks have forgotten about it. :wink:

If every American watched this before the next election, I think things might turn out surprisingly different then the way we are headed, sadly that wont likely happen. :doh:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhG4yJByfrE&feature=player_embedded"]Types of Government - Republic vs. Democracy vs. Oligarchy - YouTube[/ame]#!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes one of my favorites of all time and the best explanation of all forms of government.. To bad we haven't been able to keep our republic allowing it to be turned into an Oligarchy.

Kane

More correctly, we have been governed by a plutocracy - or call it plutarchy - for decades, masked by the lobbyists. And now that corporations (personhood) have unlimited reach into campaign financing and political power, it will only become worse.

One-man, one-vote has become a thing of waxing nostalgia.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
More correctly, we have been governed by a plutocracy - or call it plutarchy - for decades, masked by the lobbyists. And now that corporations (personhood) have unlimited reach into campaign financing and political power, it will only become worse.

One-man, one-vote has become a thing of waxing nostalgia.

You might find this surprising but I agree with you on this one.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
That was great !!!

I finally understand where the names 'Democrat' and Republican' come from !!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
That was great !!!

I finally understand where the names 'Democrat' and Republican' come from !!

Here is a more accurate method of seeing where the parties actually came from. As the parties have not only changed name but purpose through the years as well as having other names. One of the first parties was the Democratic-Republican party with the other at the time the Federalists. So names can be a bit confusing as to what they stand for today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_parties_in_the_United_States

Kane

Here is a more accurate method of seeing where the parties actually came from. As the parties have not only changed name but purpose through the years as well as having other names. One of the first parties was the Democratic-Republican party with the other at the time the Federalists. So names can be a bit confusing as to what they stand for today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_parties_in_the_United_States
The Fourth Party System, 1896 to 1932, retained the same primary parties as the Third Party System, but saw major shifts in the central issues of debate. This period also corresponded to the Progressive Era, and was dominated by the Republican Party.
Oh, the irony.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Joe, I've read the wikipedia thing before. It uses circular language and only mentions certain hot button current items rather than exprsessing an overall, long term, "just where the heck are we going with this" strategy.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Joe, I've read the wikipedia thing before. It uses circular language and only mentions certain hot button current items rather than exprsessing an overall, long term, "just where the heck are we going with this" strategy.

That is the problem with labels and names meaning something, they often change in not only name but purpose. I wished personally we had no parties period as there really isn't a nickles worth of difference between either, they eat from the same bowl at feeding time.