• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker for sale

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Once again, I simply don't get it. Eighty thousand dollars? Certainly thanks to the Biden economy a dollar isn't worth what it was even just a year or two ago. But eighty thousand dollars? That a LOT of money; at least it is to me...

I went to the website link in the craigslist ad and read over the various descriptions and looked at the photos. I'm sorry, but the wording seems really overstated and embellished. The description of installing new belts and straightening some bent grousers is borderline absurd. Come on; there are several suppliers of track belting. How hard is it really to get some belts cut to size and punched? Yes, changing them out is a PITA, but it's hardly the ordeal as described.

Last year in the mad rush to get Thundercat ready for SV2022, we had several grousers that were bent and needed to be straightened; maybe 10-12. Scott grabbed what he calls a Hickey bar (I'll describe it momentarily) and straightened them in place (meaning not removing the grousers from the tracks). Honestly, I think the process was complete in 30 minutes, maybe 35, but it wasn't a big deal. The Hickey bar is nothing more than a 6" diameter piece of roughly 3/8" steel plate welded to a piece of steel tubing about 5' long. The plate has three or four cuts in it of different sizes to fit over the object to be straightened. I do recall on some of the more severely bent grousers it took both of us and various means of trying to stabilize the grouser while the other was doing the tweaking, but at the end of the day the straightening process was a minor event in a day of work. Why would you go to the time trouble and expense to sandblast and paint the grousers when the first time you use the machine and cross some gravel or pavement you'll take the paint off?

When I look at the photos of the engine, for example, I see the valve cover has a bunch of surface rust. Maybe it's fashionable to call it "patina" but cleaning off years of crud and leaving the rust is not "restored". Restored means making it look like new, and it doesn't. The heater hoses look ancient. If I'm buying a used snowcat, presumably to actually use, why would I want hoses in that condition? I'd much rather have new heater hoses.

"Fully Restored"? I don't think so. How about "Thoroughly cleaned, with minor repairs performed and machine fully serviced"?

vintagebike

big added value is just a few simple steps away...

Attachments

• EF99372D-DFE2-4F3B-BF9C-D4AE9C420D25.jpeg
    EF99372D-DFE2-4F3B-BF9C-D4AE9C420D25.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • C183C1BF-CA1D-46D4-8769-AC7CD0D282F8.jpeg
    C183C1BF-CA1D-46D4-8769-AC7CD0D282F8.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 7C21612B-CD13-4D68-B73B-AC3880FD7235.jpeg
    7C21612B-CD13-4D68-B73B-AC3880FD7235.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: PJL

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhhh, the classic statement . . . "On this classic era Tucker Sno Cat you are able to see, access, maintain, and fix the whole shebang. Need a part? Head for Napa."

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BFT. I feel a handful of folks will sell their toy for the right price. Buying and selling is a gamble to some, Hobby to others, and/or a habit.

Ford did it with the lightning. introduced at a reasonable price point. lots of folks put deposits, demand was there. price went up....

If you wake up and want a snow cat. what are your options. folks pay up and grab one or they have to shut up/save up.

That NAPA statement drives me nuts. there is not one thing a tucker needs that you can get at napa. Want a fresh u joint, Thermostat or fan belt sure.
Need a idler, sprocket, Grouser, transfer case part or wiper blade?
Wants and needs.

Call RK caster and try to buy a 14x3 caster wheel. Pointing to it. giving them their own part number is futile. Tucker corp is smart. they protect their unique parts.

the market will always dictate the price. Value is up to the buyer.
$.02
Mike