• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tornados clobbered our town

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out CNN. So far our local news states a dozen dead and around 200 or more at our local hospitals.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW.

They have a mobile home park in Evansville on CNN right now. Or what is left of one.

We had heavy thunderstorms and very strong sheer winds, but no tonadoes up on my end of the state. Scattered power outages, but no tornadoes I've heard of. It was pretty bad up here but not like you got.

CNN flashed up on the screen: At least 11 dead, another 160 seriously injured.

Where are you in relation to Evansville? North, NE or East? And how far? Are you in Vandenburgh, Posey or Warrick county? The story below lists Newburgh, Indiana, I knew a couple guys we went to college with (same time we were both there) that were from Newburgh.

Does anyone know what happened to our "member map" that showed were members were located?

Here is the Associated Press story that was posted about 8:00 a.m. today:
Tornado Rips Through Ind., Ky., Killing 8

20 minutes ago

A tornado ripped across a wide swath of southern Indiana and part of northern Kentucky early Sunday, killing at least eight people, wrecking homes and knocking out power to thousands, authorities said.

Witnesses said the tornado touched down first near Henderson, Ky., and hopped across the Ohio River into Indiana at around 2 a.m.

The Eastbrook Mobile Home Park on the southeast side of Evansville was heavily damaged. Five people were killed there, said Diane Duvall, a dispatcher at the Vanderburg County Sheriff's office.

"We're treating the trailer park as a mass disaster area," Eric Williams, chief deputy of the sheriff's department, told the Evansville Courier & Press.

Warrick County Coroner Don Harris confirmed three deaths, two near the community of Degonia Springs and one near the village of Yankeetown.

The damage path in Newburgh, eight miles east of Evansville, was about three-quarters of a mile wide and roughly 20 miles long, Assistant Fire Chief Chad Bennett told CNN. He said emergency sirens sounded, but most people didn't hear them because it happened in the middle of the night.

At the Ellis Park racetrack, between Evansville and Henderson, Ky., the Henderson County Sheriff's department said about half of the track's grandstands had been destroyed, along with horse barns and housing units.

Several people were injured at the track and a number of horses were killed, said Paul Kuerzi, the track's vice president and general manager.

Mike Roeder, a spokesman for utility company Vectren, said 25,000 homes were without power, mostly in Warrick County. There also were reports of natural gas leaks.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in Vanderburgh Co, but am north of where the damage was. I had 60 MPH winds at my house, but no damage. A local news helicopter is sending out live images now and there is a path 3/4 mile wide and 22 miles long that is just completely destroyed. Most of the places shown from this helicopter have not even been mentioned yet. Ellis Park, a horse racing track, has mostly been destroyed as well with most of the horse barns wiped out as well.

They are not allowing people out on our streets right now because of all of the emergency personnel trying to get to the huge area that has been hit. So far the major networks are focusing on the mobile home park, however I am now seeing hundreds of site built homes that are destroyed.

I just now noticed the copy of the news report you posted. Obviously that is about what I mentiioned, except they are finding more damage now that people are getting out. This damage is unreal.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Right now, we're still under a tornado watch in Central Ohio. Nothing much, weather wise is happening though.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey guys, man what a wake up call. Sorry to hear about the damages in your areas. Hope your family is OK. I called two of my techs that live there, one in Newburgh, and one in Henderson, both are fine, but without power of course. Your in my prayers.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boy, out of nowhere huh? No warning for these like the Hurricanes they talk about days before. Glad our Indiana buddies are doing okay. It apears the storm that caused the tornado has already whizzed past Ohio. Kind of windy here, but that's it.

frank_f15

Does it seem like this year was loaded with natural disasters? the Tsumani(?) then hurricanes that just went on forever causing many deaths, and property damage that is unbeleivable and now tornadoes in arears that normally get them. Here in Western NY , had some high winds, with heavy rain for about a hour, still breezy, but now it is bright out. Strange, very Strange.:confused:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. I just watched a local TV channel show parts of Ellis Park (horse race track facility) horse stalls and grand stand that landed over 4 miles away! They are now reporting 19 deaths, numerous horse deaths, several hundred homes destroyed, and several hundred injuries.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank, it does seem like weather over the past year or two is becoming more extreme. Tornadoes and Hurricanes seem to be more destructive. Snow seems to come down in great quantitites (when it does come down), rain seems to either avoid an area totally creating draught or it comes down by the bucketload and causes floods.

I'm not sure that there is any truth to the theory of global warming, but there sure seems to be a lot of strange stuff going on with the weather.

Dargo . . . I watched the weather on CNN for quite a while. Intersting that a tornado would lay waste to that large of a path. Normally they seem to hop around and cause isolated pockets of damage that could take out a block or a few houses, then go and do damage a 1/2 mile away, etc. The tornado that went through your area did a LOT more damage in a MUCH larger path. Did you loose any trees or get any wind damage?