• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

TATRA WW2 4 X 6

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This unique 'Rig' has NO FRAME! The body rested directly on springs that sat on the Axels. The Engine was an inverted V8, that's right, Up Side Down, was bolted to a transmission in the conventional manner, this was bolted to a large diameter tube that bolted to the rear differentials. Tatra was a pioneer in 'Unibody' construction.
72cetnic.jpg

t72_06.jpg

t72_10.jpg

t85_08.jpg

VLTTLorraine72.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the country of origin for that vehicle? I spent some time in the Tatra Mountains in what is currently northern Slovakia (formerly Czechoslovakia).

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Bob: Czechoslovakia was right. Number 3 of the first auto manufactrers in the world. I couldn't get the wikipedia link to work. Neat stuff, neat history.
2447261277_100fbef8cc.jpg

abc6.jpg

t85_08.jpg

t92_02.jpg
I was mistaken about the trucks having the upside down engine, it was some german aircraft and possibly some Tatra automobiles.
Theres a TATRA Museum, and perhaps 50 lincs to clubs, and organizations that are followers of this mark.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oddly enough, when I was in Czechoslovakia it was still under the thumb of the USSR and the Iron Curtain. The modern vehicles at that time looked pretty much like the pictures you posted!!! I don't think they made much progress under communism. They do make some excellent firearms. The CZ line of handguns and the CZ 58 rifle (a dramatically improved & altered variant of the AK47).

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your observation about Tatra is "right-on-point". They had a brutal history. Taken over by the Germans, then later taken over by the Russians. Of course both invading parties wanted to haul off most of their lathes, presses, and milling equipment as WAR Prizes, and I'm pretty sure that neither of the invading Management Teams was very encouraging to work for!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I remember we had a bright orange VW bus and that piece of fine German engineering was probably the best vehicle on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain. Heck it brought out crowds of people in the small towns (and we learned to take the windshield wipers off and stow them inside). Not sure if the hubcaps made it back to Austria when we turned it back in to the rental agency :yum: