• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spain Destination

avidwils

Every year, I try to take at least one international trip. This year I am planning a trip to Spain; Barcelona, Madrid, Majorca, and the Canary Islands are on my mind. I know about the basic tourist attractions. Can anyone please recommend the hidden spots?

Every year, I try to take at least one international trip. This year I am planning a trip to Spain; Barcelona, Madrid, Majorca, and the Canary Islands are on my mind. I know about the basic tourist attractions. Can anyone please recommend the hidden spots?

While the Sagrada Família is Barcelona's most famous Cathedral, the less crowded Barcelona Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter is also worth a visit. Local legends say the crypt holds the remains of patron saint Santa Eulalia.

For a more authentic Spanish experience off the beaten path, consider stopping in Ronda. This scenic town high in the mountains rewards travelers seeking hidden gems. Ronda remains relatively undiscovered, despite its striking views and historic sights.

Don't miss out on exploring beyond the popular beaches when visiting the sun-drenched Canary Islands. On La Palma, consider the rewarding 12km hike to the "Pirate Cave of Candalaria" near Tijarafe. Few travelers embark on this trek, but those who do are rewarded with this hidden natural wonder.

I'm sure there is a lot more to be discovered in this beautiful country, be sure to come back and share your trip details here, @avidwils!

avidwils

Thanks George, Yes, the Sagrada and Gothic Quarter are already on my mind. I will look more into Ronda. Though I am not into hiking, I would give it some thought. Is it a beginner-level hike or more of a moderate one?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
+1 on Barcelona. We visited there last June and it was spectacular. We stayed in the gothic quarter, very close to the Barcelona Cathedral which was wonderful to visit. Make sure you go up to the roof to see the wonderful views of the city. We also did the skyride on Mont Juic which provided even more stunning views of the city. Case Batllo was neat to see, too. Anything done by Antoni Gaudi is something to behold (i.e. La Sagrada Familia).

We also visited Mallorca, staying in a house just north of Palma. The beaches are fantastic, and we took the train from Palma to Soller and Port Soller. This was a great sight seeing opportunity.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another +1 on Barcelona.

See everything Gaudi. But also visit the rest of the city too. All the Gaudi works are spectacular. I could spend a month inside La Sagrada Familia just looking at it from different angles in different lighting conditions.

Thanks George, Yes, the Sagrada and Gothic Quarter are already on my mind. I will look more into Ronda. Though I am not into hiking, I would give it some thought. Is it a beginner-level hike or more of a moderate one?

We used train to get to Ronda, but there are other means of getting there https://www.discoverronda.com/getting-to-ronda.html

Regarding the hike to Pirate Cave of Candalaria, you need to drive through a coastal route and then parking your car. From there, you’ll continue on foot via a descending trail that leads to the coast. The hike itself is short and easy.

avidwils

+1 on Barcelona. We visited there last June and it was spectacular. We stayed in the gothic quarter, very close to the Barcelona Cathedral which was wonderful to visit. Make sure you go up to the roof to see the wonderful views of the city. We also did the skyride on Mont Juic which provided even more stunning views of the city. Case Batllo was neat to see, too. Anything done by Antoni Gaudi is something to behold (i.e. La Sagrada Familia).

We also visited Mallorca, staying in a house just north of Palma. The beaches are fantastic, and we took the train from Palma to Soller and Port Soller. This was a great sight seeing opportunity.
Do you have any hotel recommendations there?

avidwils

Another +1 on Barcelona.

See everything Gaudi. But also visit the rest of the city too. All the Gaudi works are spectacular. I could spend a month inside La Sagrada Familia just looking at it from different angles in different lighting conditions.
Yeah, I will definitely be visiting the Sagrada as well as Barcelona Cathedral.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Do you have any hotel recommendations there?
We VRBO'd. The flat was nice, but small. Pay attention to the description - they can be deceiving. We thought we would have plenty of romm for 4 and instead had barely enough for 2. Our friends wound up getting a room at the Hotel Catalonia and it seemed nice.

avidwils

We VRBO'd. The flat was nice, but small. Pay attention to the description - they can be deceiving. We thought we would have plenty of romm for 4 and instead had barely enough for 2. Our friends wound up getting a room at the Hotel Catalonia and it seemed nice.
I have booked some Airbnb for August.

avidwils

We used train to get to Ronda, but there are other means of getting there https://www.discoverronda.com/getting-to-ronda.html

Regarding the hike to Pirate Cave of Candalaria, you need to drive through a coastal route and then parking your car. From there, you’ll continue on foot via a descending trail that leads to the coast. The hike itself is short and easy.
Hey George, I contacted a local guide from https://gowithguide.com/spain and he prepared an itinerary, also I specifically asked him to arrange something in Ronda as a bonus.

Oxtagon

Your Spain trip sounds amazing! For hidden gems, in Barcelona, explore the El Born neighborhood for local shops and tapas. In Madrid, check out the Malasaña district for vibrant street art and quirky cafes. Majorca offers hidden coves like Cala Deià, and in the Canary Islands, visit Garajonay National Park in La Gomera for stunning nature trails. Enjoy!