• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shortening Cable Chains.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have some cable chains for my truck that I need to shorten about 6 inches.

Does anyone have any tips for this? I need to find a source for clamp-on ferules or whatever the little round things are that clamp on to the cable and then hook into the connector doohickey.

These are the chains I want to shorten you can see the little round things I'm referring to on the top left of the picture below:

cablechain2.jpg

The have a tensioner like this:

cablechain8.jpg

Tips suggestions?

Other than squishing the crap out of them - should I give them a little "kiss" with the mig welder?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
PB , Can you cut it & mark it & take it to a local hardware store if you have one . They have crimpers there & ussually will do it for you for little or nothing . Ace hardware should have what you need .

If not I use a brake line flaring tool to Crimp in the vise or you can use an anvil & smack the shit out of it . I use it for cables much bigger then that . Just a thought . Heres a link to the type of crimper , I just use the 2 piece part with the holes in it . The hardware store should have the sleeve that crimps on . :wink:

http://www.harborfreight.com/double-tube-flaring-tool-kit-66534.html

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've got the tools to crimp but I have two questions:

1. Where do you get the little things and what is there "proper" name?

2. Is crimping all you need to do?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got the tools to crimp but I have two questions:

1. Where do you get the little things and what is there "proper" name?

2. Is crimping all you need to do?

I never used those kind of tire cables before so I,m not sure if they would take more stress then a big cable for pulling or tightning like what I do . But I would think a good crimp would be all you need .

My local lil town hardware store had the crimps the last time I went there so I would assume ace hardware would if its anything like it used to be . I beleive they are called cable crimp fastners or at least thats what they were marked on the drawer I found them in .

I cant even find a pic online of what I,m talking about . Only thing I know to do is go look through there stock . Unless someone else here knows .

I,ve heated & crimped nuts on before & had them work forever , just not for that kind of aplication . I broke the cables before but never had a crimp come loose . Best of luck , Wished I could be more help :smile:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ive been using them for years my newest set has spreaders to tighten them. they are the super Z's
The new ones have a double hook you don't even have to drive on them.

but for the stoppers
120-buttonstops.jpg

http://webriggingsupply.com/assets/catalog/hardware/120-buttonstops.jpg

crimper

http://webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/tools/swagers.html

it would be cheaper to by new chains than by a crimper

tom

Thanks Cowboy and Tommu - I'll check if my hardware store has ferrules but I doubt it. Otherwise, I think the link Tommu sent is what I need.

I've got a x-large chain repair plier for my tractor chains and some other big ass tools that I can crimp the crap out of stuff with.

luv2weld

SUPER Site Supporter
Instead of spending $300 for the crimpers, go to Harbor Freight and get a set of
bolt cutters for cheap. Then either use a grinder or Dremel tool to make them into
crimpers. Works really well, and doesn't take a body builder to crimp ferrules or stops.

Ralph

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Instead of spending $300 for the crimpers, go to Harbor Freight and get a set of
bolt cutters for cheap. Then either use a grinder or Dremel tool to make them into
crimpers. Works really well, and doesn't take a body builder to crimp ferrules or stops.

Ralph
That is what I use for high tensile fence ferrules.:clap: