• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

RIP...

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
To anyone who knows me or has read my ramblings:

My Dear old VW has finally gone to the last round up. 300K miles has been determined to be the life span of an '86 VW Jetta Diesel. Still runs good, but the chassis/suspension now needs enough repair to not make it economically viable any more. (sniff, sniff :( )

It now lies in state in my pole barn up north, where it awaits spring when it will die a good death as a pasture racer with my buddy's '91 Pontiac.

:17875: :17875:

Attachments

• White Jetta.JPG
    White Jetta.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 153

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about that AV8r! I hate it when a car or truck you really like hits the end of the road.

dirtybernie

before you destroy a deisel VW i suggest you look at what they fetch on ebay. no matter how much work it needs it will sell.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I paid $550 for it 5 years and 100,000 miles ago. I think I got my money's worth out of it. LOL.

Still, it was (is) a great conversation piece (of Schmidt). :thumb:

(edit)
Bernie, I've never done e-bay. It is still a mystery to me, but, I may try to sell it any way. If I get my $550 back out of it, that would be a hoot!

OkeeDon

If we were closer, I'd take it off your hands. Up until last year, I had a couple of worn out Rabbit convertibles (cabriolets) stored. I kept looking at them and thinking it would be kind of neat to turn one of them into a home-made UTV. Cut down the rear fenders and install a flatbed, take the doors off and install some low-profile knobby tires. I don't need 4WD because everything is flat, here, and front wheel drive pulls pretty good. What would have made it perfect was a diesel (so I could run the same off-road fuel I have for my tractor) and an automatic tranny, so I wouldn't have to worry about a clutch and shifting. I have a pretty low differential gear I was going to use in our race Scirocco before I gave that up, which would have made the thing into a low-speed torque master with the diesel.

I got rid of both of the cabbies, along with 4 other Rabbits and 2 Sciroccos I had scrounged for spare parts, but I know where I could get another in a heartbeat.

Chief

You seriously did get your money's worth out of it! :17875: As compared to a comparable new car payment, taxes paid on it, and higher insurance costs, you may want to reconsider whether or not it truly is uneconomical to repair. Should make a kewl pasture racer though! :D

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Save the engine and hook it up to a generator for emergency power. That little 4 cylinder will keep you in bright lights.....

DAP

Goddangit Junkman, you killed it! A perfectly good German car and you had ta go an ...

That's just like you, you dirty son ofa ...

Kubota King

by the way Av8r - From the looks of it you really take good care of your things! :thumb: That car is in fine shape for the age & mileage of it!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Kubota King said:
by the way Av8r - From the looks of it you really take good care of your things! :thumb: That car is in fine shape for the age & mileage of it!

Thank you. It isn't as nice now. That pic was three years ago right after I painted it and added the GEO Storm wheels. Some of that funny orange stuff is showing again now. Oh, well.

dirtybernie

Av8r_2230 said:
Thank you. It isn't as nice now. That pic was three years ago right after I painted it and added the GEO Storm wheels. Some of that funny orange stuff is showing again now. Oh, well.
like i said. look at the car i linked and what its going for. those VW deisels are a HOT item!