• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Remote Auto Starter ..

DAP

Ok, who's got one ... what did/do you think of the outcome ... I read an installation guide for one and it looks like a real PITIFA to install one ....

...CEO here is whining for one ... likes the idea of getting into a warm or cool car ...

Any takers?

:toiletpap:toiletpap

dzalphakilo

Banned
Bought one for my dad three years ago for Christmas and he absolutly loves it.

He lives in upstate Pa, has a garage thats about sixty yards away from the house.

Gets up in the morning, opens the garage door via remote and then starts the car via remote. VERY handy when it's cold out. Same thing when he's bowling, out eating dinner. Have to admit that when I'm visiting him or he's down at my place, when it's cold, it's a nice feature that I could get use to myself, only that all my vehicles are a standard.

Came with two sets of remotes, the remote will confirm the car has started, remote will open/lock the doors and open the trunk as well.

Only procedure that changes thats not "normal" is that once you get in the car, you only turn the key (once you put it in) "half way" then hit your break to change gear. If you hit your break first or turn your key "all the way over", the car will stop running and you have to restart either manually or via the key ignition system.

Bought the kit off a local guy up in Pa that I knew was REAL good with this, it took him ALL MORNING to install it (took some "creativity" on my part to be able to surprise my dad with it). I did read an install manual on it it, and considering it was a present, didn't want to srew it up. Since it took this guy all morning to do it and he knew what he was doing, glad I went that route.

Guy who installed it had his own shop, cost me about $400 for the kit and installation.

Haven't had a problem with it since it's been in other than replacing the battery for the remote starter.

If you live where it gets cold, it's one of those things you'd be glad you have it, and you wonder how in the heck you got along without it before.

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Had one 6 years ago when I was living in an apartment without the use of a garage. I could at the time start my van from inside the apartment and the running lamps would come on to indicate that the engine was running. I always set the defrosters to the on position before I got out of the van each day so that when I used the remote it would automatically clear the ice from the glass even before I got to it. Also if you didn't get into the vehicle within 20 minutes it would then time out and shut the engine off so the vehicle didn't run out of fuel. Also if someone else got into the vehicle before you did and hit the brake pedal it would immediately kill the engine as a theft deterrant.

I had the thing professionally installed and loved it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have one, somewhat unhappy with it. The manufacturer supplied a wiring diagram that was incorrect and I just haven't removed ALL of the wiring and put it ALL back in right. They have since issued a corrected one with their units. What doesn't work right is:

No true accessory position anymore. Within 30-45 seconds of when the key is turned to that position, to eat lunch and listen to the radio, all the idiot lights come on the dash, the seat belt dinger goes off, the air bag light flashes.

The run time is programmed for 15 minutes. It might run 5, it might run 20. Will not run at all in "tach-less" mode.

The buttons on the remote stick out too far. You can't put the remote in your pocket unless you want your doors to unlock and the truck to start. If you sit down there's enough contact pressure from your pants flexing or coins/keys or just your leg moving to cause all sorts of things to happen, especially if you're already driving. Really runs the batteries down with the button constantly pressed while in your pocket.

I have the new wiring diagram, just too lazy to spend 3-4 hours on it again. I just don't use it much. They now also have plug-in wiring harnesses that make installation about half. Not available when I looked. After 3 GEM modules in my sons car, he took his out. The mechanic said the remote start damaged all 3 computers. Possible I guess.

Bottom line, IMO, if you're looking, try the auto manufacturer first. If they have one for your model, that may be ok. Aftermarket? They'd have to do one hell of a sales job to get me to buy a new one. BTW, I didn't install it until 4 months after I bought it, which is exactly 30 days beyond their piddly 90 day warranty:smileywac

MadReferee

Had one on the wife's car for over 4 years. Never had any problems. It would run for 10 mins then stop. You could always restart it again. Remotes controlled door locks and trunk along with starting. Buttons were recessed so there were no accidental starts.

The key to these remote starters is to have them professionally installed. Let them worry about wiring harnesses and all the installation issues. Total cost for mine was just over $200 and that included installation which took all morning.

BTW, make sure they show you where the override disconnect switch is.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Have one in the 97 Ford Explorer that was a aftermarket brand. Works great, but if you don't turn it off before disconnecting the battery, the unit will loose the program. Off to the installers location to get it reprogrammed to the tune of $25 each time. I have finally learned the code to reprogram, so no more problems.
I just had a Ford unit installed in the 03 Mercury Mountaineer. Works great and cost $435 installed..... took most of the morning to do. After reading the manual, it appears that it can do many more things than just start the car and lock and unlock the doors. I asked about those items after I learned about them, and found out that they require additional modules and additional cost. Turning on the rear defroster is one of them, and I am thinking of springing for the additional cost.
One more thing to consider, is that you can usually find spare remotes on eBay for a fraction of the cost of the dealers. I found one for the 03 for $12.50 with $4.00 shipping. The dealer wanted $45 for one. The nice thing about the Ford unit, it give programming instructions in the owners manual for the remote start and the key pads are like the originals that came with the vehicle. Check with the automobile franchised dealer for the possibility of a factory unit first. Many times the dealers will be pushing a aftermarket unit because they can make more money on them. One thing is for certain, they are not a do it yourself project.

DAP

Thanks fellas for the comments. I'm gonna mull this one over a bit. An excellent range of responses ... :eek:

JayC

Huh?
I've always wondered about remote starters for diesel pickups. Do they make any and how would they work with the slightly different starting practices of a diesel (i.e. heating glow plugs)?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just need a remote block heater starter . . . preferably one that will blug in the freaking cord too! :pipo:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I just need a remote block heater starter . . . preferably one that will blug in the freaking cord too! :pipo:
I have mine plugged in with a 24 hour timer. I have the timer set to only come on for an hour or 2 before I need to start/run it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I have mine plugged in with a 24 hour timer. I have the timer set to only come on for an hour or 2 before I need to start/run it.

My schedule isn't that consistent. Yesterday, I plugged it in inside the garage but didn't realize that I hadn't plugged the other end into the truck! Doh!

BadAttitude

Just a FYI...

Stick with an OEM kit if possible. Aftermarket brands can cause alot of prioblems.

1) Disables the vehicles Passkey, Vats, VTD system if equipped...a resistor is put in place to bypass the chip/pellet that is part of the ign key.

2) Phantom starts have been known to happen...customer comes out of the shopping mall and finds their car running.

3) Voltage spikes can damage the contol module for the remote start system...even a jump start can cause unwanted spikes.

4) The RS modules have been known to cause parasitic draws...since they are wired directly into the serial data line and keep other vehicle modules awake.

5) Unwanted triggering of an injector pulse while the engine is running. You may not notice the pulse, but the extra fuel will damage the Cat Conv.

6) False 'engine light' and codes...not covered under OEM warranty if it's been determined that the RS sys caused the code.

As a rule, we remove any aftermarket RS sys that is installed on a trade in. Too many problems have been the result...even a No Start condition. If the vehicle is not computor controlled...OBDI or OBDII, go ahead and install it. Otherwise buyer beware!!

JayC...yes there are kits for diesels