• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Project Spryte FS

bcgofo

This cat has been reposted. Not mine. Was posted last year. Anyone seen it or know anything about it? Denver area.

Sorta interested in the drive train but always unknowns. What do you think it’s worth as is?

7F7D123A-742D-4E9A-99F3-0DD5BC3F85A7.png

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have seen it up close and its axles are straight and no rust. at the time i looked at it, there was choice of tracks. it appears the tracks now are my favorite b model tracks. seller is well respected not a flipper, worth your time to inquire.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Also listed on ksl.com: https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/73160856

A couple years ago I started a thread called “Not Seeing the Value” and posted machines for sale with asking prices I thought were out of line. Last September I posted a link to a ksl.com listing with what sure looks like this machine, and I offered my comments, Back then the asking price was $12K. The seller, forum member mkntrakes, took exception to my comments.

Here’s a link. Scroll down to post 74:

A year later, it’s still for sale and the asking price is 25% less….

When I look at the photos of the tracks Redsqwrl likes, just about every grouser is bent. Grousers don't get bent running is snow, and if the grousers are representative of the way the machine was operated, it's had a hard life. One of my sayings is "The cheapest snowcat is rarely the best value".

As far as "drive train”, Ford 300 I-6 engines and C6 transmissions typically don’t command much money, so that leaves the OC-12 rear differential. Most ironically, there’s a Ford 300 I-6 from a Thiokol 1200C snowcat currently listed on ksl.com for $700.

How much does a used OC-12 differential sell for? I don’t know, but Pat Foster at Spryte Improvement would be my first choice for information.

bcgofo

Blackfoot, totally agree with your assessment. All the value (for me) is in the rear end which condition is unknown. He said it needed slave cylinders too I believe. Newly rebuilt OC12 probably worth his entire asking price.

I rebuilt a set of tracks last year so the grouser condition isn't something I missed. I don't think I'd bother re-belting, although that style grouser wasn't necessarily hardened steel if I understand correctly; easy to bend and easy to straighten......

Don't think he's ready to part out either, and this isn't something I couldn't live without at the moment. This is especially true when 2100's come around on a regular basis for quite a bit less.

Will be a good project for somebody I'm sure.

vintagebike

yes, we could be talked out of our 1968/69 2100b including spare front and mid axles and 2 new spare Fal-line outside tracks for a lot less. Drove it on to the trailer but tracks are now off for storage. ~$8900

Attachments

• 13E7AB3F-C67C-466C-8B13-C46291E43BEB.jpeg
    13E7AB3F-C67C-466C-8B13-C46291E43BEB.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 53

bcgofo

No need to take offense. Only thing established here was that the machine isn’t worth asking price for someone looking for parts. Perhaps a fine deal for someone looking for a full project.

At the end of the day it is only worth what someone is willing to pay, right? My opinion is there is a market but it’s a narrow one. But that opinion doesn’t matter, market will decide for you. Not going to criticize someone’s asking price, that’s their business. These are two different things entirely. Cheers and good luck with the sale👍

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The snow cat market is not a fixed market. its a lot like my wife buying shoes. snow cat value is truly in the eye of the beholder. each project is connected to a dream and a use to include the hopes of the buyer. the original post was about a standard width later model spryte.

Pros:
Reputable seller
Its a desirable narrow 1200
it has B model grousers that excel many snow conditions (B model grousers look like that because they can take the use that contributed to them getting like that)
300 six that runs and operates
clean fuel system
straight
no rust
glass is all there not faded

Cons
its detracked ( test drives are rough )
slaves? read that here ( available )
Grousers are bent? ( ok, I suppose)

for comparison:
I bought the black cat that was in Cleveland Ohio ( face book ad). I bought it for parts. I have received quite a few comments such as bottom feeder, scrap collector and a variety of other colorful input. I bought the full cab spryte used in the final scene of the movie the thing with the same offer. both parties accepted my terms and conditions and here is my rationale.

wheel guides (2 per grouser, 140ish total on machine )
wheels
sprockets
axle shafts
controlled differential

Use tucker/thiokol/bombardier pricing on the above then offer 25% that is what the scrap iron i buy is worth.
Glass is $30 per square foot cutting and grinding is 110 per hour.

If the tracks get put on the machine, a 40 gallon gas tank installed on the roof, put a cheap vinyl wrap of a patriotic flag on it and a couple speakers and a glow stick that flashes, do you suppose the price would be 12k or 24K. call the seller. ask him what he has there, make a deal. or go to Cleveland, buy a rig for 1/2 that amount, drain water for 3minutes out of the oil pan. change the transmission after you figure out which np435 you need. flush out the fuel system, reassemble 20 years of neglect and vandalism then you can start on the steering master slave system. and of course exhaust.

$.02