• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Motor Trend ‘Best Midsize Trucks’ for 2022

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well despite the fact that my Honda Ridgeline was only ranked in the 2nd position, ahead of the Ranger, Frontier, Tacoma, Jeep and GMC, I’m still happy with my choice.

top pick goes to Chevy

“1. 2022 Chevrolet Colorado​

After a slide to second earlier in 2021, the Chevrolet Colorado returns to the top spot as the best midsize truck you can buy. Its affordable entry price adds to the appeal, as does its real-truck towing figures, which helped vault it past the similarly smooth-driving Honda Ridgeline among truck buyers whose hearts are set on a midsize rig that must tow nearly as much as a full-size pickup. In reality, we think, the perception of towing capability pulls stronger than actual need—after all, if you're regularly towing anywhere near the Chevy's 7,700-pound maximum, you really should spring for a similarly priced full-size model such as the Silverado. [Read more about the Chevrolet Colorado]”

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Out of that grouping I'd say you did real well. The only one I would see as real competition to the Honda was the Tacoma.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Out of that grouping I'd say you did real well. The only one I would see as real competition to the Honda was the Tacoma.
I think the Tacoma is the "sexy" choice. It has a great reputation. But the Honda is the "hated" truck/N.A.R.T. (not a real truck) that actually is pretty darn good at doing a lot of small truck stuff. In fact it is better at some doing truck stuff than many of the other options. Especially if you carry plywood, drywall, or things like that.

The Honda does lack in towing capacity, as it maxed out at 5000# and prefers something less than that. But if you want to load up the cargo bed, it is easier to use than the others, especially giving the W-I-D-E cargo box and 2 way trick tailgate that opens in the traditional way or with the side hinge.

Reactions: Doc

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just try and buy American. Ford maybe the only one left that is.
GM is not that at all anymore, China has them by the nose.
I just can not go there any more....
Dodge Ram (Italian owned) but they are not a choice? I believe they are the only ones in their respective class to have coil rear springs set in a true four link suspension setup. They ride very nice. But then no reason for Honda or Toyota in my part of the world. No dealers within a hundred miles.

Maybe a Tesla in a few years... lol

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Honda is made in Lincoln, Alabama. It as designed for the US market, largely in the US, and it is exported to Canada and a couple other countries. Probably more "American" than many US based American cars/trucks.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My Honda is made in Lincoln, Alabama. It as designed for the US market, largely in the US, and it is exported to Canada and a couple other countries. Probably more "American" than many US based American cars/trucks.
The only one not foreign owned is Ford.
Having a plant in the USA is not American made IHMO. Profits do not stay here, nor are taxes paid on them here.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The only one not foreign owned is Ford.
Having a plant in the USA is not American made IHMO. Profits do not stay here, nor are taxes paid on them here.
And lots of Fords are made in Mexico and other nations.

I used to own a fleet of GM/Chevy medium and heavy vehicles. But I'd never buy one again. Ford is my favorite brand, and it is American owned. But hardly American made. It is clearly a world brand, not much different than Honda or Toyota. However, it is wrong to assume that "taxes are not paid" on them here. American Honda, which is the division that makes them, and profits from them, are, in fact taxed on them. Ditto with Toyota. And Ford produces a lot of bits and pieces in other nations and imports them to avoid paying union wages and higher taxes. Everyone plays the same game.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree Bob. I prefer to buy American. However, Cars and Trucks are impossible to buy that do not have parts from other countries. What I buy is built in America. So I buy what fits my needs. I am not concerned with where the person lives who gets the profits. That does not play into my buying decision.

I own a 4runner which has the same base frame as the Tacoma. A year older than mine was rated at 6k towing. Mine is rated at 5k. Once in awhile I tow my 5800 pound boat with it. Short hauls but up a steep hill. No problem at all for the 4runner. It pulled the boat as well as my old 2005 Chevy Silverado with a V8. That had a 7500 tow rating. I'm very impressed with the Toyotas.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I just went from a Jeep Gladiator to a Nissan Frontier which is made in Mississippi. The Nissan has more horsepower and is assembled very well. I have had one of most trucks and cars and the Nissan is perfect for me. I got my first car in 1954. Have a goodun!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just went from a Jeep Gladiator to a Nissan Frontier which is made in Mississippi.
Yup, made in Mississippi for the North American marketplace, exported to other countries from here. Just like the Honda Ridgeline.

I loved my Frontier for 90% of what I did but I also had the longest version of that truck and the turning radius made it horrible to try to maneuver in tight city parking lots. Frontier withOUT the long wheel base + long bed option that I had would be a good truck for me. That was not an issue before my daughter moved into Chicago. But it became an issue very quickly when she moved into the city.

Frontier is a very nice truck, you should be very happy with it. I'd still have my Frontier if not for the turning radius and the fact that I sold it for nearly what I paid for it and then got almost free 4 year financing from Honda on my new Ridgeline.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, here is an acceleration video that compares some of these smaller trucks.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I have the short wheel base with 4WD. Mine is a 2021 which was the last of the old body style. That Gladiator had 275 h.p. and this Nissan has 310 which I enjoy a lot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AWD vs locking 4WD vs slipping 4WD vs Quatto ...

My former Nissan Frontier and my Jeepster both have locking 4WD. Just like a tractor, it will pretty much get you through anything. Designed to be used on wet, soft, slippery, sandy, etc surfaces but absolutely not on dry pavement. Modern Jeeps and many other vehicles have a slipping 4WD, often called full time 4WD, which powers all 4 wheels but allows the vehicle to turn on dry pavement without "hopping" during the turn. Both are worthy of off roading.

All Wheel Drive is sort of a computer controlled system that typically favors the front wheels but when the computer detects slipping will send power to the rear or cut off power to a specific wheel, etc, it works well but is not designed for real off road. Generally a lighter duty offering that works pretty well for vehicles that live on pavement.

Quattro is sort of a mechanical 4WD that slips like full time 4WD but also is enhanced by computers and is pretty darn amazing and exceedingly effective in lighter vehicles but too complicated for trucks. I have Quattro on both my Audi's and have driven through storms that had everything but Jeeps in the ditches with my Audi sedan. Quatto is simply amazing and the best system I've ever used for on road use.

My new Honda Ridgeline is an AWD. It has road tires. Today we got slush with snow over the top of it and the Ridgeline slipped right off the road on the first curve that I encountered. I'll admit I was testing it and went into the curve fast enough to test the system. I believe the AWD worked well enough but the road tires failed miserably in the slushy snow. Took the truck to an empty parking lot and tested it a bit there, while the Ridgeline is biased to front wheel drive, in "snow" mode it balances more toward all 4 wheels. Despite that, I was able to break the rear end loose in the parking lot while trying to slide the truck around but the AWD traction kicked in and kept it under reasonable control. As I said, pretty sure the weak link on this truck, for snow use, is the set of factory tires that it comes with. The tires simply are not designed for snow driving.