• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

MOOSE Populations in Rapid Decline due to Unknown Disease

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kind of scary to read this. Apparently the scientists are unsure of the cause, but populations are plummeting in Moose herds all across their range. Its not isolated and controlled, but rather a widespread epidemic.

FULL ARTICLE & VIDEO AT SOURCE => http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/science/earth/something-is-killing-off-the-moose.html?_r=1&
CHOTEAU, Mont. — Across North America — in places as far-flung as Montana and British Columbia, New Hampshire and Minnesota — moose populations are in steep decline. And no one is sure why.

Twenty years ago, Minnesota had two geographically separate moose populations. One of them has virtually disappeared since the 1990s, declining to fewer than 100 from 4,000.

The other population, in northeastern Minnesota, is dropping 25 percent a year and is now fewer than 3,000, down from 8,000. (The moose mortality rate used to be 8 percent to 12 percent a year.) As a result, wildlife officials have suspended all moose hunting.

Here in Montana, moose hunting permits fell to 362 last year, from 769 in 1995.

“Something’s changed,” said Nicholas DeCesare, a biologist with the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks who is counting moose in this part of the state — one of numerous efforts across the continent to measure and explain the decline. “There’s fewer moose out there, and hunters are working harder to find them.”

What exactly has changed remains a mystery. Several factors are clearly at work. But a common thread in most hypotheses is climate change.

Winters have grown substantially shorter across much of the moose’s range. In New Hampshire, a longer fall with less snow has greatly increased the number of winter ticks, a devastating parasite. “You can get 100,000 ticks on a moose,” said Kristine Rines, a biologist with the state’s Fish and Game Department.

In Minnesota, the leading culprits are brain worms and liver flukes. Both spend part of their life cycles in snails, which thrive in moist environments.

Another theory is heat stress. Moose are made for cold weather, and when the temperature rises above 23 degrees Fahrenheit in winter, as has happened more often in recent years, they expend extra energy to stay cool. That can lead to exhaustion and death.

In the Cariboo Mountains of British Columbia, a recent study pinned the decline of moose on the widespread killing of forest by an epidemic of pine bark beetles, which seem to thrive in warmer weather. The loss of trees left the moose exposed to human and animal predators.

In Smithers, British Columbia, in April, a moose — starving and severely infested with ticks — wandered into the flower section of a Safeway market. It was euthanized. . .

VIDEO and full story at the LINK above.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
This is both sad and scary. Shows how fast a parasite (or similar resulting issue) can infect the inhabitants of our earth.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sad to see such great ceatures losing the battle to survive. Man will suffer a similar problem in the years to come.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
our fish and feathers biologist keep blaming hunters not the beavers that dam up drainages and kill off the habitat , or the population bloom of bears.

here in ontario our moose are in decline as well.usually only in areas with easy acess though.the culprit here is native peoples hunting traditionally with their traditional trucks and traditional firearms. :hammer:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
here in ontario our moose are in decline as well.usually only in areas with easy acess though.the culprit here is native peoples hunting traditionally with their traditional trucks and traditional firearms. :hammer:
Yeah it's amazing how technologically advanced those traditional natives were. Apparently, they also made large traditional sales contracts too.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I find it very sad that they killed the moose who was just trying to feed. Shame on them..
Another un-informed poster. When any wild animal loses its fear of man and makes itself comfortable in human environs, it becomes a threat to the health and safety of humans and itself. Wildlife officials make these decisions to put an animal down based on science, not emotion like yourself. Man is the biggest threat to wildlife by encourging them to come into yards and public areas using food as a temptation, so the greedy human can enjoy watching them outside of their normal habitat. This removes the animals natural ability to forage for its food, and loses it fear of man. Is there some part of this you don't understand? A full grown moose can kill a human with one kick of its hind leg, and kill all the occupants of a vehicle that hits it at only 35 mph. Not good for man nor beast.

Cletis

Yeah, we have one of those complete flippin morons in our area that thinks it's cool to feed the moose in his yard so he can view them at 10ft away. I've gone by his place several times and seen him standing that close while they feed on whatever it is he puts out for them. Then they wonder why 3-4 moose get shoot in our ranches because they are so habituated to humans. Again this guy is a complete dumbass with absolutely no common sense at all. And I'm being nice!!!!

I took a moose over west of Jackson, Wy in 2009 and he tested positive for the brain worms. I shot him at dusk and he went into a swamp with very high willows and wasn't able to find him. We thought it best to check first thing in the morn as I knew I hit him hard. Found him the next morn and it was about 15f. The processing place had to throw away about 50lbs of meat that went bad just over night on the side that was against the ground. I never knew their hide was so insulative. Unbelievable show he put on for us. He was in full rut, kicking, buckin and raking the willows like a wild man. Wish I could have filmed that!

Cletis