• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looks like Bob has a new neighbor

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
LOWELL, Ind. — John Deere has purchased 234 acres of land in Northwest Indiana, according to a press release from Coldwell Banker Commercial Realty.

The bank’s release indicates the agriculture equipment manufacturing giant bought the parcel for $7 million. The bank reported that John Deere plans to build a 1.2-million-square-foot warehouse and distribution facility on the plot.

Coldwell Banker also indicated the future warehouse site is located in the 2100 block of West 181st Avenue near the Illinois-Indiana border in Lowell. When construction is completed, the facility will be longer than Chicago’s Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) lying down on its side. The Willis tower is 1,729 feet tall.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will this be good or bad for Bob? I'm "thinking" good for real estate value but not great as it's not manufacturing so there won't be a ton of new high-paying positions.
Might ruin his view so that's bad, unless it's filled with brand new Deere equipment which can be prettier than looking at a field. ;)

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
LOWELL, Ind. — John Deere has purchased 234 acres of land in Northwest Indiana, according to a press release from Coldwell Banker Commercial Realty.

The bank’s release indicates the agriculture equipment manufacturing giant bought the parcel for $7 million. The bank reported that John Deere plans to build a 1.2-million-square-foot warehouse and distribution facility on the plot.

Coldwell Banker also indicated the future warehouse site is located in the 2100 block of West 181st Avenue near the Illinois-Indiana border in Lowell. When construction is completed, the facility will be longer than Chicago’s Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) lying down on its side. The Willis tower is 1,729 feet tall.

Had to look up the address, that is just east of town.

For me, I'm roughly 5+ miles west of town. So no affect on my 'view' of anything. Lowell's east side has been growing, access to the interstate seems to be the key to that growth. We also have a new high-cube frozen food facility being built and a trucking company moved in over there too.

Probably good for the town, our downtown retail has been in a decline, but suburban sprawl is starting to catch up with our little town. Fortunately for me, that is all happening miles east of me. I prefer corn, soybeans and whitetail deer as my neighbors

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deere is moving manufacturing to Mexico.
JD is suffering from quality control issues and right to repair. My bet is longer term JD will be losing market share.
in the late 90's They introduced a new tractor line the 8000 series. Told us all in a public event it cost 30% less than the previous series to build. Then proudly announced the sticker price was 25% more than the earlier tractors.
They changed the Deere insignia from a realistic deer silhouette to and "artistic rendering" of a deer.
I think that was the day they fired the quality control department.
In 1997 I said goodbye to JD for tractor power and the combine we harvest with. Over time it has proven to be a good move.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
JD is suffering from quality control issues and right to repair. My bet is longer term JD will be losing market share.
in the late 90's They introduced a new tractor line the 8000 series. Told us all in a public event it cost 30% less than the previous series to build. Then proudly announced the sticker price was 25% more than the earlier tractors.
They changed the Deere insignia from a realistic deer silhouette to and "artistic rendering" of a deer.
I think that was the day they fired the quality control department.
In 1997 I said goodbye to JD for tractor power and the combine we harvest with. Over time it has proven to be a good move.
Just curious, what brand are you and your neighbors switching to?

I'm seeing more Challenger equipment, my area has been pretty heavy into Case and New Holland. CLAAS seems to be trying to make inroads but I'm not seeing it too close to me, maybe it's too large for the fields around here.

Seems like most of the Deere stuff around here is smaller or older equipment.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I'll never buy a new Deere. My old Deere (prior to all the emission and other BS) runs better and is more reliable than their new stuff. It's 28 years old and never been in the shop.

Friends have newer Deere's. They've all had problems (especially DEF related). Really pisses them off when they NEED their tractor and it doesn't run... for days until EXPENSIVE repairs are completed.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, what brand are you and your neighbors switching to?

I'm seeing more Challenger equipment, my area has been pretty heavy into Case and New Holland. CLAAS seems to be trying to make inroads but I'm not seeing it too close to me, maybe it's too large for the fields around here.

We went Cat/Challenger and Claas Lexion. All in 18 years ago now.

Another neighbor a larger farmer has now done the same. He had JD before.

Lots of neighbors have gone to Case I/H and some to New Holland. AGCO produces Challenger and Massy Ferguson machinery.
Zeigler Cat (Challenger and Fendt) is building a new dealership on 40 acers in Carrol Iowa this year. They are adding locations in Iowa and Minnesota all with AG lines of equipment. Fendt is a German brand making some inroads here as well.

JD is ramping up for Mexican production just as competition is heating up. Will be interesting if they can lower price and keep any quality.