• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First post and looking for1968 Foremost Sure-Go Spider info and parts.

Hooli

I suppose first off an introduction is in order. Name is Jeff and I'm an alch..shit..wrong forum. Guess I blew that intro so s'pose I'll wing it from here.

Not sure if joining this forum was a wise decision as I see a for sale section and those are typically the basis for my wifes marbles to go missing :) First post here and looking for anyone that has one, or any information, parts whereabouts for the old Foremost Sure-Go Spiders. I'm specifically looking for a multi personnel fiberglass cab before I have to fab one up.

Just picked up an old Foremost Spider (1968) and well, it's seen better days as it's been ummm lets go with De and Re modified, molested, unforemosted, re and un engineered and basically cheaped out on by everyone that's owned it since 1968.

The tracks are a definite hack job and the grousers are nothing more than straight edge U channel which is sure to chew the shit out of the drive sprocket. The original single stick steering was ditched for a creative dual lever style set up that is way to touchy, about 60 cans of black Canadian Tire undercoating for paint, a mickey mouse flimsy dog house for an engine cover, all the gauges are merely dash ornaments, so all it needs is everything and needless to say it needs some love.

I'm thinking most of the parts "should" be readily available through any number of suppliers I assume as it's only hydraulics and worst case a bit of fabricating to adapt a part would be in order as I doubt there are any OEM parts available.

On the bright side, the little V4 Ford runs like a champ, an out of shape champ, but a champ none the less. Doesn't appear to leak anywhere and once it's warmed up moves along all right albeit slowly and awkwardly.

The biggest quirk so far is having to start it and let it warm up with the PTO disengaged then shut the engine off, engage the PTO and start the engine again so starting it without being seated in it is out of the question.

So if anyone has one of these or knows the whereabouts of any stashed away parts I'd like to connect and see what's out there. Tossed a few pics in just because.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 112

PJL

Welcome aboard Hooli, You have made a horrible mistake that can't be undone.
We're here to help. :LOL:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, welcome. and prepare yourself for the "parts cat is better than this cat syndrome" its like concussion syndrome.... only with more head ache.

I pseak fluent 2 track, I am V4 literate and offer no interest in a foremost snow cat. If you need eyes in the midwest or a staging ground to make moving it east or west easier let me know.

battdad

hey Hooli, you are in luck, I also own one of these foremost spyder thingys. Mine is almost identical to the one in your photos...or WAS identical at one point in time. the one i have has the same single stick travel control, has two cables that connect to the hydrostatic pumps, one each per track. The hydro pumps are connected to hydraulic drive motors and the motors drive each track via a number 80 drive chain and sprocket set-up. I believe all the hydraulics are original to the machine, sundstrand pumps and motors. I did however remove the little fiberglass cab and replace it with a custom steel structure sheeted with aluminum. the cab now has room for five people comfortably and some gear under the back seat. The little v-4 that was original was replaced with a 4 cylinder yanmar turbo diesel engine that seems to power the cat quite well. My tracks are 32 inches wide which seems wider than the ones in your pics but maybe it is just illusion. I dont have many parts as im not sure there are actually enough of these things out there to create any extra parts, but like you said, i think most everything hydraulic wise can be purchased or repaired still. i have a few videos and pics if you are interested but might take me a while to transfer to newer computer, or if you want to PM me, i could probably send them through text.

Hooli

Yes, welcome. and prepare yourself for the "parts cat is better than this cat syndrome" its like concussion syndrome.... only with more head ache.

I pseak fluent 2 track, I am V4 literate and offer no interest in a foremost snow cat. If you need eyes in the midwest or a staging ground to make moving it east or west easier let me know.
Thanks, Unfortunately I have polluted my mind with all things tracks since I was old enough to pee farther than the end of my shoes. I only grabbed this unit because the old boy that had it really wanted an Argo I had sitting around here, which in hindsight was about the dumbest trade I think I've made to date, not saying I won't out do it later down the road but to date it holds my personal best for stupidity. :pat:

Reactions: PJL

Hooli

hey Hooli, you are in luck, I also own one of these foremost spyder thingys. Mine is almost identical to the one in your photos...or WAS identical at one point in time. the one i have has the same single stick travel control, has two cables that connect to the hydrostatic pumps, one each per track. The hydro pumps are connected to hydraulic drive motors and the motors drive each track via a number 80 drive chain and sprocket set-up. I believe all the hydraulics are original to the machine, sundstrand pumps and motors. I did however remove the little fiberglass cab and replace it with a custom steel structure sheeted with aluminum. the cab now has room for five people comfortably and some gear under the back seat. The little v-4 that was original was replaced with a 4 cylinder yanmar turbo diesel engine that seems to power the cat quite well. My tracks are 32 inches wide which seems wider than the ones in your pics but maybe it is just illusion. I dont have many parts as im not sure there are actually enough of these things out there to create any extra parts, but like you said, i think most everything hydraulic wise can be purchased or repaired still. i have a few videos and pics if you are interested but might take me a while to transfer to newer computer, or if you want to PM me, i could probably send them through text.
Well as they say, misery loves company haha. I'm debating on what to do with this thing because I made another not so thought out decision and bought a couple BR 275's both in various states of repair but between the two will make one decent unit. Ones missing the engine and ones missing the tracks, one needs a blade the other has one. Both interiors and hydraulics are good. I'm seriously considering making something out of all 3 machines and end up with a very narrow but capable machine using the complete hydraulics off one of the BR's with the Mercedes diesel and the drive motors and sprockets and change the suspension to a new torsion set up. The cab has got to go, thats a given. I was kinda thinking on building a camper to fabricate onto it and a metal cab and structure would definitely be the way to go and gain some room to breathe in the thing. Worst thing about it is definitely the linkage set up someone pretended to put together rather than simply fabbing up a dual cable single stick morse set up for the motors which shouldn't really be that hard to fab up from scratch, just take a bit of thinking and trial and error which I just happen to very proficient at ( the error part anyways :blink: ) I would definitely be interested in any pics or vids you have especially of the single stick hydrostatic control set up. 403-350-8996 Jeff

Hooli

Well, this thing is in worse shape than I originally thought so to put it lightly - I got took. My own fault for trusting an ol timer but no sense whining over it when a simple bucket after bucket of hard earned 100 dollar bills will fix the problems. So, the V4 Ford that it came with is in dire need of a full tear down as is the hydraulic pump and both drives so I just I kinda followed your lead and bought a Kubota 4 cylinder turbo out of a light tower with 2000 hrs on it. ( 49.5 HP @ 1800 RPM) Runs like new. Also picked up 3 Space caps from a guy that was upgrading his fleet and now one is getting shortened by 28 inches by taking that right out of the middle and glassing the two halves back together and mount it to the deck, cut an opening in the back of the cab to match an opening I'll put in the front of the space cap. I have a few of those Chinese diesel heaters so one will go in the camper for heat. As for the hydraulics, I'm thinking of taking the drives I have out of a BR 275 i picked up for the simple reason they will take a lot more abuse being put on such a small machine in comparison and they go direct to the sprocket rather than to a chain final. ( Yes it will take some work with the gas axe and the mig but I think will be a much stronger set up.) I'm going to upgrade the hydraulic pump as well but running a Velvet drive transmission before the hydraulic pump because I really hate having to engage the hydraulic pump to start this thing when a simple transmission like a velvet drive would be so simple to install and it's a 1;1 drive and will give me a neutral. Just need to lock out the reverse. I also have all the axles out of the 275 plus the bogies which are all foam filled so I'll get some suspension out of the BR 275 as well. I think in essence, I'm taking this little machine and beefing everything up with what I have available. I can run better tracks, it'll have more power and be a hell of a lot more reliable and everything from the engine, heater and generator all run on diesel. Last thing to throw out is the mickey mouse linkage system the old boy built. It took me the longest time to figure out why this thing kept stalling. Well, one would assume to drive this thing with two sticks is push them both forward - go forward. Same for reverse- pull them both back. Steering - well you get it. Not on this one. The old boy tried to reinvent the wheel so the right stick is forward and reverse. The left stick is left and right...yes you read that right, Push the left stick forward to turn right and pull it to go left. Push the right stick ahead to go forward and pull it back to go in reverse. So that shit set up is getting hacked up. I think a simple electric over hydraulic single joy stick would be the simplest solution. I'm hoping to have this thing mocked up to the point of being able to test it out by September then if everything works the way i'm planning it out to, weld everything up, Finish the glass work, put an interior in the camper and take it for its first big trip sometime in November when the first decent dump of snow hits. If anyone sees anything wonky with my plan feel free to chime in before I lunge ahead without thinking things right through as im apparently quite prone to according to a certain female I chose to spend my life with. The only thing I'm debating is if the little Kubota will have enough torque drive the bigger hydraulic pump and drives to make this thing move at a decent clip. This is my plan - subject to change :)