• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

fillrite fuel pump DC shorting out

maradison

I have a Fill rite fuel pump that is about 4 months old. Worked flawlessly until yesterday. Went to turn the pump on and nothing. Keeps blowing my inline fuse as soon as the switch is turned on. Pulled the cap uncovering the rotor and the rotor looks like it is off center. Checked the wiring from the battery to the pump with a test light and checked ok, so I know it must be in the pump.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
TuthillCorp

Is the memeber here who can help you out. If you are familiar with how to send a private message to him, I recommend that. If not, in time he'll see this, and I am sure he will respond. At 4 months it is beginning to sound like a warranty issue.

Regards, Kirk

TuthillCorp

I have a Fill rite fuel pump that is about 4 months old. Worked flawlessly until yesterday. Went to turn the pump on and nothing. Keeps blowing my inline fuse as soon as the switch is turned on. Pulled the cap uncovering the rotor and the rotor looks like it is off center. Checked the wiring from the battery to the pump with a test light and checked ok, so I know it must be in the pump.
Hello Maradison,

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having with your Fill-Rite pump. I just need a bit of information from you to help you resolve this issue.

Can you tell me the model series of the pump? Usually on the label on the motor, it will say something like series FR1210C. This will be under the flow rate on the label.

Also, can you tell me what size your in-line fuse is and where in your wiring you have it connected?

As for your observation on the rotor being off center, you are correct. The rotor needs to be off center in order for the pump to create a vacuum to lift the fuel from the tank. If the rotor were centered in the pump casting, no vacuum would be created, and the pump would not pump.

Once you can get me the answers to the above, I will have a better picture of what is happening.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Jeff

maradison

Thank you for the quick response Jeff:

I have the inline fuse from the battery to the power cable, I use a 30 amp fuse. The model I have is Fr1210C DC. I have checked the wiring with a test light and didn't trip the fuse the same for the switch. I have everything with the wiring connected with appropriate connectors and wirenuts provided with the pump. I am almost thinking it could possibly be the thermal relay. looking at the pump, it doesn't look like there can be much to go wrong in the way of electrical. Like I said one day it worked and the next day it started blowing fuses.

TuthillCorp

Thanks for your reply Maradison,

The only thing that you could check is to make sure that the wire from the pump to the battery hasn't been nicked or cut and may be shorting out.

If the wiring looks to be ok, then you should take the pump back to the location where you purchased it and have it exchanged for a new pump under warranty. The warranty on the FR1210C is 2 years.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Again, I apologize for the trouble you have had with the pump.

Have a great day,
Jeff