• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

fertilizer

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Was driving yesterday listening to the news, the interview was with a mid west farmer that plants 1000's of acres. He was stating that there is a severe fertilizer shortage and if there is no fertilizer a lot of farmers won't be planting crops in the spring, this coupled with reports of gas and diesel being in the $7.00-$8.00 next year is going to be a bumpy ride for agriculture, food availability and prices. Kirk should be able to give better insight, from his position.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Keep reading about a fertilizer shortage with rising prices, especially since the Ukraine war started. Reports say it could lead to failed crops and food shortages.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know crap about current grain production; however, I am a master gardener, and it has been my experience that most people, and I include farmers, over fertilize. Historically, farmers didn't always pour fertilizer every year. But they do so now to increase production per acre.

City dwellers put too much on their lawns. Just to have more green and a reason to ride their big boss lawn "tractors" over a 1/4 acre suburban front yard every week end.

What I am suggesting is that a reduction in lbs per acre for one or two seasons may well prove lower yields per acre but, that does not mean they will go broke or that we are gonna starve. In truth, every farmer knows, or at least complains, that we produce more than we need which actually reduces their income per bushel as it is.

Frankly, our rivers and streams get far too much of the stuff every year. They too could use a rest.

Not trying to be indifferent. Farming is a tough business. I've been there. What I remember most about agriculture is that farmers have something about which to complain most every year.

But the bright side ain't too bad here. Let's try not to make it more than it is. After all, that is the job of our politicians.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the bigger issue with fertilizer is in the use on marginal lands. US and Canadian farmers probably need it less per acre today than do farmers in Africa. So yes, wheat, bean and corn probably can get by with a lean year use in some areas of the world where the land is managed well year after year. Still fertilizers would still help. Suburban lawns can get by with none of it. But many areas farmed in the world don't have fertile land and really need it to get modest yields.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
True but, via the OP, it is American farmers that are complaining.

Yes, they have a right to.

African farmers have access to fertilizers from Saudi Oil and, frankly, their own crude production. Assuming those industries take advantage of the opportunity.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
With so many farmers using "computerized" farming I'm sure they can calculate how much less fertilizer to use and still get a profitable crop. With so many farmers threatening to not plant I'm sure our "wise" politicians will fix any problems.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
With so many farmers using "computerized" farming I'm sure they can calculate how much less fertilizer to use and still get a profitable crop. With so many farmers threatening to not plant I'm sure our "wise" politicians will fix any problems.

"Do what it takes to survive. Stay alive, it will be better next year."

Old farmer's saying

Young farmers should learn it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Im going to hoard some more food, just in case.
Rational food storage and stockpiling for future hardship is not hoarding.

Buying all of what a store has, so that nobody else can have any, that is hoarding.

Today I picked up 25 pounds of flour at the grocery store. Far more than we need right now. But not really more than we use over a reasonable amount of time.

Wheat, oat and other grain based products will likely rise in price. That is everything from your morning cereal to the bread you eat to the pie crust you have a dessert. It is the coating on your fried chicken and the filler in your dog's food. Buying some before the prices go up is just smart and allows you to blunt the budget shock of rapid inflation.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have two 25 lb sacks of flour, one 40 lb sack of beans and one 40 lb sack of rice in the bottom of my chest freezer since early 2020. I can never get to the stuff on the bottom anyway so, to me this makes sense. Over the last few months, 28 Oz ground coffee has been $6 to $7 a can. I have ten of them also in the bottom of the freezer along with 12 lbs of butter and two 24 pk cases of bottled water.

All this mass will keep the rest of the chest cold during power outs.
Keyston canned beef and chicken plus plenty of canned veggies round out our short-term emergency supply. Good for 60 days, family of four. Add Dried pasta and we are set for ninety days.

This is not doomsday survival food. that is another storage altogether. This is for the we are too broke or the stores just don't have it emergency.

Whisky is a whole nuther matter.

Bob, I like your definition of hoarding.
Never bought the shelf clean. That's bad Karma.

Keep you yeast fresh and your powder dry.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Im good with 6 months of 30 year food I bought about 8 years ago for 2 people ( last resort )
about 3 months of canned and frozen meat and veggies that we rotate out to keep up to date.
Turkeys in the yard
A whole mountain of critters
plenty of ammo to get what I need and keep what I got.
Folks are getting concerned enough with the world events and shortages, that several of my neighbors want to have a neighborhood meeting to talk about everything and make a plan to assist each other. ( we are all on acreages so it isn't that many ) One is a local county sheriff deputy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This year we will be trying cover crops for the off season. These will add some fertilizer value to the soils after tilling the residue in.
Fuel and Fertilizer are key components that are very hard to do with out at any kind of scale anyway.
High prices tend to fix themselves. At these levels someone will step in and build new plants to produce nitrogen fertilizer the key component that is derived from the air by burning Natural Gas...
My suppliers are not concerned with adequate supplies being available this spring.

Good point about marginal lands. At some price it makes no sense to plant a crop with this cost on marginal soils.,.
Crop insurance is a good idea as usual.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Expenses this year are up substantially. For 2K acers of a mix of corn and soybeans, the totals are higher this year for all inputs by $160K
From just under $400K to well over $500K to put it into perspective.
At current crop prices that land can produce well over $1.3M gross revenue.

Land near here recently sold for $23K and $24K per acer. Oh my gosh territory....

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm hearing the farmers out here are not able to fix a price for fertilizer until they take delivery.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm hearing the farmers out here are not able to fix a price for fertilizer until they take delivery.
Not how business is done around here. I booked and paid for mine last December, however. If I had not done that and were shopping today for my inputs I believe your correct at this point in time.
Next season has me concerned. More so than this one.
If we don't get timely rain here it will not matter much, as we are in a drought area for going on 3 years.
I took the highest most expensive level of crop insurance you can buy to. (85% if a ten year average crop) Lots of risk here this year.