• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Electric Violins? Anyone know about them?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter is pretty good (for a kid) at playing her violin, she's got a pretty nice one and I actually enjoy listening to her play . . . as opposed to the first few years when it sounded like she was killing cats.

Anyway while we were in York, England we stumbled upon a very talented man who was playing the electric violin out in the street. The sound was simply amazing. So my daughter wants one of these things for Christmas this year.

It appears that Yamaha has the most popular units, but they start at just under $600 and that is more than I'd like to spend for something that she has never played (they go up to a couple thousand $$$$ too). There are plenty of 'cheap' electric violins on Ebay, priced at $89 to $169, but those may be basic for her given that she is actually a reasonably accomplished violinist for a 13 year old.

I can't seem to find anything between the sub-$200 Ebay units and the $700 Yamaha. Does anyone know if there is any 'middle ground' in with electric violins?

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I wish I could convince Katelyn to take up the violin or cello. There is a girl at our church that plays occasionally. I love to hear her play. This year Katelyn can start band in school. She has opted for the trumpet.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Do a youtube on Lucia Micarelli. Amazing! Almost as good as Alison Krauss, in a different way. Maybe look to either of their links for violin info. Lucia does an amazing Kashmir(Led Zep)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do a youtube on Lucia Micarelli. Amazing! Almost as good as Alison Krauss, in a different way. Maybe look to either of their links for violin info. Lucia does an amazing Kashmir(Led Zep)

Thanks, I do some digging. :thumb:

Bob, bite the bullet, buy the Yamaha, sell a Deltonics. There you go, it's pretty easy really.

Frank, that is crazy talk. I may slow down on my purchases of Detonics. But sell one? I don't think so :furious:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I know nothing about electric violins, but I can find out some information for you later on this year when I go to a Folk Festival, where all the music experts are to be found, if you would like? Is Melen still interested in learning to spin, and do I look for a decent spinning wheel for her (possibly pretty interesting to take on a plane, but who cares?)? That is IF I come over for Thanksgiving, I am seriously thinking about it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We would LOVE to have you here for Thanksgiving!!!

As for the spinning wheel, if she gets one of those it will be a Christmas gift and I'll probably make sure it is the brand you recommended (in kit form).

Any information you can find about an Electric Violin would be great. I'm gathering that the YENDER is the most popular of the quality brands, they have a model for students. FENDER also makes one that appears to be similar in quality for a similar price. I'm afraid of the $89 to $159 version on Ebay, not sure if they will have the tonal quality or hold their tune, etc.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I've decided on the violin that I'll be getting for Melen for Christmas, I just started the order process today. They guy who makes them builds them to order in a small shop in Oswego, New York. They specialize in violins and violas and most of their work is in electric violins.

Melen's will look very similar to the photos below, but will have the traditional 4 string neck (the one in the photo has 5) and will have a semi-traditional/semi-modern pegged scroll, as opposed to the guitar like top shown in the photo below. I also am getting her a carbon fiber & horsehair bow (I don't know/care if the horses are dead or alive when they harvest the hair), a Behringer X-V pre-amp "wa wa" pedal, and a Crate portable amplifier. It should be a nice set-up that will last her through high school and even college.

I was told that it will take about 3 to 4 months to build, but he promised that I'd get it delivered before Christmas! :xmas:

Attachments

• MyElectricViolin.jpg
    MyElectricViolin.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 256
  • MyElectricViolin2.jpg
    MyElectricViolin2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 205

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Silly Dave, PINK is for GUNS and Mini-Vans. She likes the ELECTRIC BLUE color. Not sure if it will be exactly like this blue, it might be a blue sunburst pattern that gets deeper in color around the edges.

BTW, one thing I like about this violin is the body is NOT solid core. Its hollow like a traditional violin and is supposed to resonate much better, giving a more true sound. I checked with some other owners and they seem to like the tonal quality of this better than the solid body styles.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Somehow, I suspect that cost more than the Yamaha? But nothing like getting exactly the tool for the job in the first place rather than spending more on baby steps.

Now we just need to send her a book of square dance music & tell her it's a fiddle and you'll really get your ears full! :mrgreen:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somehow, I suspect that cost more than the Yamaha? But nothing like getting exactly the tool for the job in the first place rather than spending more on baby steps.

Now we just need to send her a book of square dance music & tell her it's a fiddle and you'll really get your ears full! :mrgreen:

The Yamaha is considered a great student violin and is considered a great "silent" violin but the current model (120) has some horrible electronic hiss problems when amplified and that makes it unsuitable for playing it in a recital, concert, orchestra, etc. You have to go up in price in the Yamaha product line to get violin suitable for amplified play, doing so makes the price differences between what I ordered and the Yamaha irrelevant. Yamaha is about to release a new version of the 120, designated the 130, that solves the hiss problems, but players still wouldn't consider it suitable for public play. So while her new violin will be more expensive than the Yamaha 120/130 models, it is price competitive with the better grades of Yamaha but has a much better reputation from players.

As for the "fiddle" playing, she mostly plays classical music but enjoys many forms of music and one song I am looking for sheet music for is more of a 'fiddle' song than a classical song.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
The Yamaha is considered a great student violin and is considered a great "silent" violin but the current model (120) has some horrible electronic hiss problems when amplified and that makes it unsuitable for playing it in a recital, concert, orchestra, etc. You have to go up in price in the Yamaha product line to get violin suitable for amplified play, doing so makes the price differences between what I ordered and the Yamaha irrelevant.

Sounds like the right tool for the job! :punk:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
SLICK!
she oughtta love it!

another cool thing about learning to play violin - it's the same fingering for mandolin, so if shewants to pick up another stringed instrument in a few years, she'll be halfway to learning it.