• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Different kind of Tucker

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hiked into Mt. Washington Tuckerman Ravine Saturday. Wish I had some sort of a snowcat the whole way.

One medflight head injury, broken leg, and a dislocated shoulder. Only way out of the bowl is on foot.

I am surprised the forest service does not have a snow cat to get up and down and get people out.

Prayed for mother Tucker all day to carry my gear. Anyway made it in and out and up and down Left Gully safely. Here are some pics.

Officially punching out of winter for the rest of the year!

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 308

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, looks like a blast.

We had snow flurries last Friday, but yesterday was almost 70 and we finished the day with a bonfire. For us, winter is long gone.

So how did the injured people get out? I presume there is some sort of buddy system for the folks who ski/snowboard in that bowl to get out their injured friends???

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Fest Service DID have a 50's Steel Track. One of the rangers bought it right when he retired and restored it. It was in the local papers. My mom sent me a clipping of it, I'll dig aroumd for it when I get home.
New snow all week, some serious drifting, ambient in the 0 to 10 above region. Winter is still here.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The forest service has a station about 20 min hike out of the bowl. The rangers and volunteers are all you have. They have first aid caches everywhere but still. Choppers don't like to fly into the bowl so I believe they hike them down on foot to the ranger station and lift from there?

Anyway you slice it bad stuff it you get hurt.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome pics. It's been 20 years (where did that go?) since I've been up sking it. And like you said, you're pretty well screwed if you get outside your personal skill level and get hurt. The air lift point is determined by prevailing winds. On a calm day they will load right at the bottom of the bowl. But once the wind starts swirling they will try to pull from Hermit lake or worst case down on 16. I've also heard tale of getting the injured down to the ranger station and the medical team has used a snowmobile or tracked ranger to get them to 16 via Sherburne trail, but the AMC was 'loosing their shit' with powered vehicles using the trail. Which I question since the hut and station both have giant propane tanks. :shifty:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They have some way of getting something up there. On the tucks trail and the sherbie there are massive steel beams that were brought recent. I thought I could see some cat tracks on the side of the sherbie trail.

They must be building new bridges.