• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DHS issues Turkey fryer warning

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
:wow:Thank the good Lord they are here to protect us. :whistling:
The comments on the you tube page are priceless. :yum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObDuYTfudY"]Danger of Turkey Fryers - YouTube[/ame]

The Department of Homeland Security is taking any threat seriously during the Thanksgiving holiday, including the ominous threat to our national security posed by turkey fryers.

"How dangerous can turkey fryers be?" asks a warning issued on the official DHS Twitter account. "Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before placing in a fryer, or this may happen."
The department linked to an ominous video highlighting the dangers of deep frying a turkey.

"Use turkey fryers outdoors at a safe distance from buildings." the DHS tweeted, "Never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck."
http://campaign2012.washingtonexami...-confidential/dhs-issues-turkey-fryer-warning
  • <LI class="comment yt-tile-default" data-tag="R" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDiloBw9Pp0CkA1gDscp5UUeitghWvTw_ow" data-score="3" data-author="RKWWWW">Talk mission-creep of government. A Federal agency starts off ostensibly protecting us from terrorist threats, then morphs into scolding nanny intent on protecting us from cooking accidents.

RKWWWW 6 minutes ago 3
    pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

• why is he wearing a hard hat to cook a turkey?

nickwrightt 27 minutes ago 3
    pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

see all

• <LI class="comment yt-tile-default" data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDgsjCcExHE_Q83e2WrzRCO7p6COkjnr3So" data-score="0" data-author="tkid92">hey big sis! guess what???? GO F YOURSELF!

tkid92 1 minute ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default" data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDhnMNgtOoMprYeej0Vj1Teb1tKntRelk3o" data-score="0" data-author="pbstl747">@hellraiser6391 - Yes, manhands Napolitano feels like a turkey fryer is more of a threat than homegrown Muslim terrorists. Of course, she thinks that My Little Pony is more of a threat than Muslim Terrorists because she doesn't believe there is such a thing as Muslim Terrorism. According to interplanet Janet, the only potential terrorists are law abiding gun owners.

pbstl747 3 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default " data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDgiTPUJakOPLulj34faGC6slrxa3It5Xvk" data-score="0" data-author="MKeyserSoze">Derka Derka Jihad! Turkey terrorists! Be afraid!

MKeyserSoze 5 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default " data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDhC1MA2jaUKJpRSnEWUhKCS9w8k49wsL-U" data-score="0" data-author="evac311">I will not share my delicious turkey leg with any of those dhs turkeys!

evac311 5 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default " data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDgRzd2iOjFIrHBkkx1K2UIXvC8-QmJ-T_M" data-score="1" data-author="KingJamesBible">basic cooking 101, ALWAYS defrost fozen food before cooking.
    Why is the 3rd reich's HOMELAND security dyke looking at turkey fryers? Ah... yes, it's ALL about control, intimidation and the continued propaganda of wanting you to look to THEM for guidance and counsel.

KingJamesBible 5 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default " data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDh2PXBWxE_B8_watLlzupF-n6f37Bz73jU" data-score="1" data-author="RaytheonPwnsYou">@oldschoolgreentube Because the government is basically involved in every facet of our lives

RaytheonPwnsYou 6 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default " data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDjDSKC22E0pC-d6f7GLXroPSEcQpC8xBME" data-score="0" data-author="ForTehNguyen">@AndrewDavidBaron
    frying the turkey cooks it in a 1/3rd of the time it takes to cook in the oven. But you gotta be safe about it and take more precautions

ForTehNguyen 7 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default " data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDgAKl-CIZaKhscRw6G010incIyO0fOTCH8" data-score="0" data-author="g30jack">Considering they put the turkey in too fast, of course it's going to boil over. The manual on mine says lower it in over 1-2 minutes. If you RTFM, this video is moot.

g30jack 7 minutes ago

<LI class="comment yt-tile-default last" data-tag="N" data-author-viewing="False" data-id="W6omyQtetDhWnfNcx515d2Bl1GKWitRyORACAbfhGos" data-score="1" data-author="theguyIShere24">watch how easy it is to punch you in the FACE! Now Obama is trying to govern how you cook your turkey. Gobble theses NUTS DHS!!!

theguyIShere24 8 minutes ago
    pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
    pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
    pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
    pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
    • Share<LI class=comment-action-remove>Remove
    • Flag for spam
    • Block User
    • Unblock User

View all Comments » 1 2 Next

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I have one like they are showing but a bit bigger. I'm not one for turkey but do use it for a crawfish boils which is simply water, spices, potatoes, corn on the cob and about a 100 or so pounds of live crawfish when I can get it

mak2

Not that it really changes anything, but it is from FEMA's US Fire, seems a bit more appropriate from USFire.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Not that it really changes anything, but it is from FEMA's US Fire, seems a bit more appropriate from USFire.
I will agree with that Mak and it does cause a lot of serious injurys and fires. Its not the message being sent its who is sending it. :wink:

Any warning of any type coming from DHS should be able to be taken seriously, this warning takes any little credibility they have left away from them IMO, kinda like "crying wolf". :doh:

But then again it makes perfect sense when you think about it. A population stupid enough to vote Obama into office is a population that needs to be told how to properly fry a turkey by the Department of Homeland Security. :whistling:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the actual article that started the story, I guess I just like to think they are focused on much more important things going into the holiday season. :wink:

http://blog.dhs.gov/2010/11/thanksgiving-safety-tips-from-us-fire.html?spref=fb
As you gather to celebrate Thanksgiving with your friends and family, DHS, FEMA and the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) want to help keep you and your loved ones safe from fire hazards.

That's why USFA has teamed up with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to 'Put a Freeze on Winter Fires'. They have compiled helpful videos, fact sheets, podcasts and more to keep you and your family safe this Thanksgiving.

As families gather in kitchens across the country to cook Thanksgiving dinner, many are stepping into what can be one of the most hazardous rooms in the house if you don't practice safe cooking habits.

According to data from the USFA, an estimated 2,000 Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings occur annually in the United States, resulting in an estimated average of five deaths, 25 injuries, and $21 million in property loss each year. The leading cause of all Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings is cooking. In addition, these fires occur most frequently in the afternoon hours from noon to 4 p.m. And unfortunately, smoke alarms were not present in 20 percent of Thanksgiving Day fires that occurred in occupied residential buildings.

USFA's 'Put a Freeze on Winter Fires' provides tons of safety tips for you and your family this Thanksgiving. Some of their safe cooking tips are:

1. Make sure you have smoke alarms on every level of your home, outside each sleeping area, and in every bedroom. Test smoke alarms monthly and replace them if they are 10 years old or older.
  2. Keep a close watch on your cooking. You should never leave cooking food unattended.
  3. Keep oven food packaging and other combustibles away from burners and heat sources.
  4. Heat cooking oil slowly and watch it closely; it can ignite quickly.
  5. Don't wear loose sleeves while working over hot stove burners - they can melt, ignite or catch on handles of pots and pans spilling hot oil and other liquids.
  6. Have a "kid-free zone" of at least three-feet around the stove and areas where hot foods or drinks are prepared or carried.
  7. Keep a lid nearby to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.

Of course, Thanksgiving just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the turkey. And deep-fried turkey has become a favorite Thanksgiving tradition in many households. But if used improperly, an overloaded fryer can easily tip over and set an entire house ablaze. USFA offers the following helpful tips to backyard chefs who plan to deep-fry a turkey for Thanksgiving:

1. Turkey fryers should always be used outdoors a safe distance from buildings and any other flammable materials.
  2. Never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck.
  3. Make sure the fryers are used on a flat surface to reduce accidental tipping.
  4. Never leave the fryer unattended. Most units do not have thermostat controls. If you do not watch the fryer carefully, the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire.
  5. Never let children or pets near the fryer even if it is not in use. The oil inside the cooking pot can remain dangerously hot hours after use.
  6. To avoid oil spillover, do not overfill the fryer.
  7. Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles. If possible, wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from oil splatter.
  8. Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and be careful with marinades. Oil and water do not mix, and water causes oil to spill over causing a fire or even an explosion hazard.
  9. The National Turkey Federation (NTF) recommends thawing the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every five pounds in weight.
  10. Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire. If the fire is manageable, use your all-purpose fire extinguisher. If the fire increases, immediately call the fire department for help.
USFA recognizes that Thanksgiving is a time of food, fun, and fellowship with loved ones. And as you sit down with family and friends this Thanksgiving, DHS, FEMA and USFA want you to be safe. So please visit USFA's 'Put a Freeze on Winter Fires' to learn what you can do to protect your loved ones during the holidays.

Thanks, and from all of us at DHS, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Posted by Homeland Security Blog Team at 10:52 AM

mak2

It is the U.S. Fire Administration, what else do you want them to do? Also, it might just be where I live, but I bet not one guy I know with one of those things voted for Obama.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
What makes frying turkeys really dangerous is the fact the need to be completely defrosted first and the oil volume must be just the amounted need to cover the bird with little excess and won't over flow. Another is to keep the oil thermometer in the oil so heat can be kept at the correct temperature.

I actually smoke them in my smoker rather than fry as my wife and family love turkey. I generally eat either a ham or roast instead.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a fryer and have done a couple of turkey's. First one was a disaster I did it in a high wind with temps around 15 below zero. I couldn't keep the grease hot enough and the LP tank warm enough. The other times no problem. I also use it for boiling sweet corn and frying fish, french fries etc. Works great but I will tell you when doing anything oil you should be right there watching it as the temperature changes fast.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
One other thing, my fryer has an oil line and a turkey weight limit on it so you don't overfill it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
One other thing, my fryer has an oil line and a turkey weight limit on it so you don't overfill it.

Mine doesn't have the lines but it is easy to figure out. Simply fill the pot with water in the sink or out side and put the bird in (doesn't matter if frozen) now remove excess water until you have a safe level that won't overflow. At this point remove the bird and measure the amount of water left. That pretty much tells you how much oil you will need to do the job. You might even take a cup or two more less oil as it does expand a bit more than water does when hot.