• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Crazy diesel prices

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to the fuel station today expecting the worst news. Well, it was good and bad news.

Good news; They did raise the limit on credit purchases over $100.

Bad news;
Common 87 Octane unleaded was $3.99 per gallon, Diesel was a whopping $4.99 per gallon.

When did diesel become 20% higher than gasoline?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Went to the fuel station today expecting the worst news. Well, it was good and bad news.

Bad news;
Common 87 Octane unleaded was $3.99 per gallon, Diesel was a whopping $4.99 per gallon.

when they figured folks would pay it

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Bad news;

Until 2007 Diesel was 30% less than Gasoline.
I remember those days fondly. I am afraid they are forever gone.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
275566506_5325412640802836_1228212280221519002_n.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to drive a Mercedes 300 SDL. Top of the line Mercedes that sipped diesel at 24 MPG.
Beautiful metalic blue sedan with prestige and power, drinking the cheapest fuel at the pump.

Over 500 mile per tank range. I drove it all over the country.

I bought it at 200K miles and sold it a 420K miles.

All I could say as I drove it for the last time,,, "why am I selling this beautiful car?" Somewhere in the nation, that car is likely still running.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to drive a Mercedes 300 SDL. Top of the line Mercedes that sipped diesel at 24 MPG.
Beautiful metalic blue sedan with prestige and power, drinking the cheapest fuel at the pump.

All I could say as I drove it for the last time,,, "why am I selling this beautiful car?" Somewhere in the nation, that car is likely still running.
My daughter moved to Chicago and gave me back the car I gave her. A 2010 VW Jetta diesel. 150,000 miles and runs great. Its in the shop now, new brakes, and some other bits and pieces. I ordered it fully loaded, with some added things above the factory options, it's a wonderful little car and likely will become my daily driver. I like my new Honda Ridgeline, but for some of my daily stuff I'd rather zip around in the Jetta at nearly twice the efficiency and a whole lot of fun too. An honest 40mpg in daily driving and damn fast. There used to be TDI Cup race cars, ours is a street version with some extras.

Our main sedan is a 2014 Audi A6 diesel, with a custom APR tune. 126,000 miles and unless something catastrophic happens to that car I will drive it to my grave site. Best car I've ever owned. Fast enough to make the kids with Mustang 5.0 engines worry when they try to race me and figure they easily win. And nearly 40mpg on the highway and over 30mpg in the city.

There is a lot to be said about diesel efficiency and power. Tuned and modified just right they are fast and barely sip fuel.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Been like that in the pacific north west for a few years now. I think it was $4.79 a gallon for me to fill my truck last week. You guys in the south are spoiled when it comes to fuel prices.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter

Had one too. Should have never given it to my kid, who drove it for a few years, and then sold it. Odo stopped working at something like 275,000 miles if I remember correctly. Between him and me, probably put another 100-150k on it before it went away. Wonderful vehicle. And the engine sound at 70mph - how sweet. Idle was sound was music as well

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bad news;

Well, your gas price was the same as ours today but our diesel was "only" $4.75. Mind you, when I filled up the truck with diesel 3 days ago it was $4.40 and gas was $3,79.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember Pelosi telling Americans fuel was up 20% in 2018 since Trump took office and because Republicans were in power. The Speaker was hoping we were too stupid to understand and remember that the weak economies of the world had caused an oil glut. gasoline, which was sometimes less than a dollar a gallon, was priced back to normal as supplies and consumption returned to normal.

The miracle of the Trump administration was not cheap gasoline and diesel but an excess of USA production making us energy independent. We changed from oil and gas importers to exporters. That gave us stable domestic supplies and freed us from political "begging" our enemies for oil and natural gas.

And ended see-saw costs to fuel our cars and heat our homes.

Russia sells over 530,000 barrels a day. That's almost $64 billion at today's prices. Buys a lot of munitions and tanks.

The world will not go green because the USA reduces production of coal and crude. The world will buy from other nations because they have to, or their world will go dark.

The only reason OPEC and Russia can "soak us" is because we have no choice. We cannot go dark.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Roughly $4.15 for diesel, give or take a nickel, on my side of the Indiana/Illinois state line.

But if I go south about 20 miles into Indiana the price drops $0.25 to $0.35 per gallon. Same if I go into some areas across the Illinois state line. Paid $3.85/gallon for diesel a couple days ago.

Some parts of Indiana have special fuel blends and taxes, I am unfortunate enough to live in one of those areas, but I'm also able to get to the lower priced fuel fairly easily during some of my routine commutes. So I watch prices and know where to fill up, with diesel or gas, depending upon which vehicle I am driving.

Gasoline is over $4/gallon in Illinois but it is roughly $3.69/gallon here in the expensive part of Indiana, slightly cheaper a bit south/east of here.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Folks, there is a definite battle and prejudice against the diesel IC engine. Which makes no logical sense when you consider that it could be easily powered by green soybean energy. Costing far less to produce than Ethanol.

Why is that?

rebrecs

Folks, there is a definite battle and prejudice against the diesel IC engine. Which makes no logical sense when you consider that it could be easily powered by green soybean energy. Costing far less to produce than Ethanol.

Why is that?
I suspected some sort of prejudicial atmosphere when reading a diesel pump label recently that said: "May contain between 5% and 20 % Biodiesel." I was like - you cannot be bothered telling us what is in this product ? That conjured the suspicion on my part about diesel becoming a sort of a target. I don't know of any other products that would hang a sign like that.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I suspected some sort of prejudicial atmosphere when reading a diesel pump label recently that said: "May contain between 5% and 20 % Biodiesel." I was like - you cannot be bothered telling us what is in this product ? That conjured the suspicion on my part about diesel becoming a sort of a target. I don't know of any other products that would hang a sign like that.
COVID Booster shots.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the bias against diesel, or biodiesel, is simply politics. Diesel is not well understood by the general public, it is not well accepted, and that makes for an easy target. Add the grief that the VW/Audi group did by fudging some numbers several years ago and diesel is politically doomed.

First, it is still an internal combustion engine. That is a deal breaker for Democrats aligned with the 'green agenda' theory.
Second, it has a history of black soot pouring out of trucks. Again, history and current technology are different, but most people only remember bad things.

So while BIO-diesel is possible, and efficient, it is still burning and therefore not carbon neutral.

Looking at ethanol and that is doomed too. We are entering vehicle model year 2024, only 6 years away from 2030 and some states OUTLAWING the sale of internal combustion engines and mandating BATTERY vehicles. Other states are looking at 2035, or 11 years out for eliminating internal combustion.

Personally I think the market should figure it out, and I don't think the public is going to run to battery power. Looking at the HYBRID vehicles available, for about the same price as a traditional I.C.E. only powered vehicle, a hybrid can drive up fuel economy 20-30% pushing large sedans and mid-sized SUVs into the 40mpg territory. That is NOT a plug in PHEV, those come with a steep price increase often a $10,000 bump for extra batteries. But a traditional Hybrid, like a Toyota RAV4, Toyota Camry or Hyundai Sonata, all of which are pretty mainstream vehicles, are in the 40+ mpg range, with only modest price bumps in costs.

If the environmentalists were also worried about destroying the economy and society, they would embrace hybrid vehicles instead of battery powered EVs. No new infrastructure is needed for Hybrids. No worries bout the electric grid crashing. But converting to Hybrids will dramatically reduce fuel consumption at very lower overall costs to society. But that just makes sense, and it dramatically would lower emissions, etc etc etc

PGBC

Drove past a gas station yesterday, and the sign said regular gas was $1.57 per liter, diesel $2.10

A diesel has to be getting amazing mileage to make up that price gap.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Drove past a gas station yesterday, and the sign said regular gas was $1.57 per liter, diesel $2.10

A diesel has to be getting amazing mileage to make up that price gap.
Where do you live?
It's$3.70 per gallon here.
I'll drive my diesels there to make up that mileage.

BTW, I have 500 gallons of #2 diesel on the ranch I bought at $1.20 per gallon.

Under President Trump

PGBC

The station is on the north side, of HWY 16 west of Prince George about 60 kms.

Wow only $3.70 a gallon for diesel is a steal compared to our prices.

At a $1.20 per gallon, i would buy all i could and resell it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Where do you live?
It's$3.70 per gallon here.
I'll drive my diesels there to make up that mileage.

BTW, I have 500 gallons of #2 diesel on the ranch I bought at $1.20 per gallon.

Under President Trump
Thats $1.57 is per liter x4= gallon price.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I paid $4.06 for diesel yesterday near my home, well off the interstate routes, but the stations along the interstate today (I drove to Notre Dame along I-94 and I-80) are charging $4.59+ per gallon.

I saw $4.39 to $4.69 along I-65 and I-70 in central Indiana yesterday.

PGBC

I wish diesel would drop to $5 a gallon, especially if it was a Canadian gallon. 😁

Fuel usually drops a bit in price here around late September, as the summer vacation travelers go away.

I'm getting low on marked diesel for the farm, but not buying more until October when hopefully it is a bit cheaper, then I will order 7,400 liters.

Edited to add, the reason for an odd order of 7400 liters, is that an older fellow owns a single rear axle fuel truck, and he can haul up to 7400 liters of diesel, and many other farmers in the area also use him.
He is a good guy, reasonable price, and it only makes sense to help him out to, he is a 1 truck, 1 person, operation.
I'll guess in his late 60s, and does this part time.
Couldn't ask to meet a nicer guy, and has lots of stories to share.
Screenshot_20230902-091338_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish diesel would drop to $5 a gallon, especially if it was a Canadian gallon. 😁

Fuel usually drops a bit in price here around late September, as the summer vacation travelers go away.

I'm getting low on marked diesel for the farm, but not buying more until October when hopefully it is a bit cheaper, then I will order 7,400 liters.

Edited to add, the reason for an odd order of 7400 liters, is that an older fellow owns a single rear axle fuel truck, and he can haul up to 7400 liters of diesel, and many other farmers in the area also use him.
He is a good guy, reasonable price, and it only makes sense to help him out to, he is a 1 truck, 1 person, operation.
I'll guess in his late 60s, and does this part time.
Couldn't ask to meet a nicer guy, and has lots of stories to share.
I contract fuel in March for the entire year. Last year I also bought gas for $3.35 gal. Looking at my past years use I bought 2,500 gal of gasoline. I bought that much because my adult daughters who live nearby and the wife use gas in their cars. Funny how the daughters still come fuel up lol. :tiphat:
The truck I drive is a diesel. I use the road taxed undyed in it.
Farm diesel I bought last spring for $3.85 for spring and $3.75 for fall delivery. Glad I did.
Are you able to forward contract your supply? If you can I sure would check into it.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Fuel prices are back on the rise here, regular is give or take $5.50 and diesel close to $6.00. Im sure somewhere on the coast its already passed $6.00