• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CIGAR REVIEW ~ Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo Robusto

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a modestly priced cigar that I think is pretty impressive. The Victor Sinclair cigar line is priced between $2.50 and $4.50 per cigar, depending on the shape, size, wrapper, etc.

I tried a Triple Corojo in the Robusto size. Its about a 50 to 52 ring gauge, and just a shade under 6" long.

The cigar is called a "triple" Corojo because it uses Corojo leaf long filler, Corojo leaf binder, and a wrapper of Corojo leaf. At under $4 this cigar does not sport a wrapper that is a fine as the Gurkha cigar I tried recently but as it is not in that price range I would not expect it to have a fine wrapper. Don't get me wrong, the wrapper is nice, but its not blemish free.

This is not a mild smoke, I'd consider it fairly robust/intense and full flavored. Best smoked when you have time to savor it as this is the type of cigar that will get you dizzy and buzzed if you are puffing away at it. Victor Sinclair has milder smokes as well, a week ago I tried one of their Primereo Robustos and found it to be a mild smoke that was much less intense than this one. So they seem to cover the range of cigar tastes. While I normally prefer a mild cigar, this one is a nice change of pace. I liked the bold flavors of the corojo wrapper and will probably pick up another one of these in the future.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 522

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
i hope you choke:poke:

jokes aside unless i take a aggro drive into London i cant get a good single cigar like that....all i can get is run of the mill bog standard crap sold in packs of 5.

but i do have friends that do the odd trip abroad and bring back the odd nice smoke....as i say i hope you choke:hide:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sour Grapes!

But I'm surprised the stores don't sell individual cigars by the piece. There are "smoke shops" in nearly every town around here, most of them have "reach in" humidors that display at least 20 and often as many as 100 different brands of cigars from moderately priced brands to very premium brands like Partagas, Macanudo, Romeo y Julieta, Cohiba and many more. Flavored cigars like the Drew Estates "Java" or "Kalua" like, as well as the ACID and Helix brands seem to be very popular with smokers under the age of 35. I'd have to guess that cigar smoking in the US is on an upswing. While cigarettes are generally frowned upon, it is now more common to see expanded selections of moderate to premium brands of cigars.

Long gone are the days of displays of the low priced brands like Dutch Master, El Producto or White Owl, which are machine made cigars with a paper-like wrapper. Natural wrappers and long fillers seem to dominate. Those brands are still available, but most stores seems to have only a very limited selection of them and seem to have a wider selection of the individual hand made brands.

This Victor Sinclair brand seems to lack some of the quality of the more premium brands, it didn't burn as evenly, nor did it hold its ash as well. But I'd really say that the flavor of the cigar was very nice and worth the $3.50 price tag.

Galvatron

You are very lucky....the only time you find a proper cigar shop is when you are in a major city here.....to be honest smoking a panama or hamlet is no joy as they are run of the mill $10 for 5 and crap.

might have to drive in to London this week after all.:thumb:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob,

So if a guy has never ever really ever smoked a cigar what would you suggest for the guy to start out on if he was thinking of starting??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe Bob ,you should send out a few to Test cigar smoker dudes who can give you honest opinions for your review :clap:!!! I will step forward on behalf of my fellow FF club members and be your West Coast Connection on this .

Your welcome:thumb: . Just tryin to do my part .......:brows:

Galvatron

Maybe Bob ,you should send out a few to Test cigar smoker dudes who can give you honest opinions for your review :clap:!!! I will step forward on behalf of my fellow FF club members and be your West Coast Connection on this .

Your welcome:thumb: . Just tryin to do my part .......:brows:

I 2nd this and am happy to be the international tester.:yum::yum::yum::thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

So if a guy has never ever really ever smoked a cigar what would you suggest for the guy to start out on if he was thinking of starting??

I'd go into a local tobacco shop and find someone in there who knows cigars and ask for a MILD cigar. Ashton makes a whole line of mild cigars, unfortunately most are very expensive ($8 or more). Partagas and Macanudo start about $5.50 and go up from there, both are typically fairly mild brands too. Primo Del Rey starts about $2.75 per cigar and are also mild cigars. But there are literally dozens of brands out there and many brands offer everything from mild to intense.

I think the key is that you need to see what is available in your area and ask questions. Most tobacco shops have someone who is familiar with cigars, but it is also common that many shops have clerks who are cigar ignorant. Some stores have cigar "menus" or cigar menu books that describe different cigars and will say if the cigar is mild-medium-or robust.

FWIW, dark wrappers do not mean the cigar is robust. A dark wrapper is called a "maduro" wrapper and is actually fermented or aged to take on an oily finish that is often mildly sweet (not sweet like candy) but some people mistakenly believe that dark wrappers are more intense and that is not necessarily true. Some dark wrapper cigars are very mild, some are very intense. A green wrapper is called Candella, those are often a bit harsh or sharp to the taste and typically are an acquired taste.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
I prefer a full flavored cigar. My favorite was a double maduro Hoyo de Monterrey. By the way, I was told that maduro is the tobacco which is on the bottom of the stack of leaves while aging. The oils of the upper leaves bleed down to the bottom which gives maduro its dark oily qualities. I am now living on social security and smoke factory seconds from Finck Cigars in San Antonio. I still get the maduro smoke without the first line cost. I order on one day and receive them the next day. If you need a southern taster I will gladly volunteer!!!!!! Have a goodun!!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Howdy,
If you need a southern taster I will gladly volunteer!!!!!! Have a goodun!!!!

Ok Bob ,
Looks like we have your cigar reviewers all set up , in place and ready to go .:w00t2:
I must have problems with my EMail because nothing has come in yet from you telling me when to expect my first shipment :sad:. Its ok to respone here and give me my shipment arrival date .:clap:

Once again ..... Your Welcome ...

No really ... Know thanks are necessary .:biggrin: