• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CIGAR REVIEW ~ Hoyo De Monterrey "Governor EMS"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure how often I'll post reviews, and I sure would like it if others posted reviews too, but since there is a new, HUGE, tax coming up on cigars I've bought in about $6000 worth of new cigars. With many more to be ordered over the next few weeks. This has given me the opportunity to 'sample' some very good cigars, and occasionally some crappy ones.

Today I've got one of the very good cigars burning beside me.

HOYO DE MONTERREY is known for making good cigars, even if the brand is not one of the best known brands, its still reasonably known and fairly widely available.

The Governor EMS cigar, is fairly large, its a 6.5 by 50. For those who don't know, the first number is the length in inches and the second number is the "ring gauge" of the cigar. A "50" ring gauge is a 7/8" diameter. EMS stands for English Market Selection, and that is a term used to identify the wrapper color of the cigar. An EMS will be darker than a Natural, but much lighter than an aged and fermented Maduro wrapper.

This is a pretty stout cigar in terms of flavor, most would consider it moderately robust . . . but this is NOT the most robust/intense/stout cigar on the market, its just not the type you'd pick up for a light smoke. Pick your term, its the type of cigar that will turn a newbie green and cause some stomach discomfort to the uninitiated. On the other hand, if you enjoy a good rich cigar, one that burns very evenly, holds it ash, which by the way is very smooth and very white, and you want to pair it with a fresh cup of hot black coffee or perhaps a single malt whiskey, this is a great choice.

Most of my cigar smoking is done late in the morning and I actually feel bad smoking this one at my desk. Its simply too good to enjoy while sitting here. I should be in a big lounge chair, with a few buddies, watching something on the big screen and sipping something alongside this cigar. It is rich in flavor, has a peppery taste but no bite, and a thick heady smoke. I've found myself taking it out of my mouth and simply looking at it, admiring it several times.

The wrapper is very smooth, almost no veining and from a distance (with my glasses off) looks too smooth to be a natural leaf. Almost like the a smooth medium-brown paper bag in appearance, it is really that smooth and vein free. The draw is just right, requiring no hard inhales bring smoke into your mouth. An absolute pleasure to smoke!

These are HONDURAN cigars and the wrappers are Cameroon in origin. I've really got to rank this up there near the top of the pleasurable smokes I've ever had. Price, roughly $125 to $200 a box. (btw, prices vary wildly by state due to individual state taxes).

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 282

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Can you sell cigars to Michigan or Wisconsin? I need to try some decent cigars, but buying from Thompson is a crap shoot it seems. If you read their reviews, every cigar is great! Can't be. I've looked up some of the ones you mentioned at Thompson, but they don't have them.

And I still need to figure out a semiautomatic humidor.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thompson cigar sells a lot of their own brands, and then they mix in a few name brands in their catalogue. Most of the stuff you find in their catalogues are never seen anywhere else but they don't claim them to be house brands. In the industry the company does not seem to be well respected.

As for selling you cigars, I can probably help you out on a personal basis, but the stores are not set up for interstate trade due to the various tax laws. Technically most of the catalogue companies comply with the laws but the consumers are violating tax laws, in fact Illinois cracked down a couple years ago and sent tax bills to consumers (which sent many of them into shock).

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll keep that in mind as it gets closer to Cigar season for me. I figure I'll stock up for the summer mid-April.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
hey Bob ....
How long can a cigar last before it needs to be smoked ? How long will one of them humidor cabinet things help ?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I figure I'll stock up for the summer mid-April.
You may want to stock up in March. There is a new LARGE federal tax that JUST PASSED that will take effect on April 1.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 264

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
hey Bob ....
How long can a cigar last before it needs to be smoked ? How long will one of them humidor cabinet things help ?
If a cigar is PROPERLY stored it will last for DECADES.

It is critical that cigars be stored in a humidor. They need not be complicated or expensive but the cigars should be kept in a climate controlled environment with stable humidity.