• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cigar Review ~ Gurkha Triple Ligero, S.E. 2004

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I've taken it in the shorts in the stock market today, started out the morning with lots of stocks going up, but by noon things turned on me and I'm in the red. So I decided to pay my estimated taxes early (due next month) while I still have some money left. With the last $8 to my name I bought a cigar that I've wanted to try for quite a while.

Gurkha Triple Ligero, Special Edition, Vintage 2004.
cs-3sa.jpg

WOW this is a beautiful cigar. At $8 per stick, this is the least expensive of the Gurkha brand that I carry in my stores, but it is the one that I thought I would like the most. It did not disappoint me.

The Triple Ligero has an extremely dark, nearly black, Maduro wrapper that is amazingly elastic and very very smooth. In fact it has no blemishes in the wrapper at all, which is probably why its priced so high. The taste is fairly mild but not as sweet as many of the Maduro wrapper cigars that I've smoked. The draw is very smooth, probably because the filler tobacco is all premium long leaf. The ash stays on the cigar until physically knocked off and then stays in one piece after knocking it off. I'm not sure what tobacco is used for the binder.

I'm really loving this wrapper, it is modestly oily, which is pretty characteristic of the Maduro wrappers and has a modest amount of bloom (sometimes called plume) growing on it, which is characteristic of many of the higher grade aged cigars.

Anyone care to join me? I could easily be talked into smoking another one :thumb:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have never tried any of the Gurkha cigars. This may be something I need to do bfore I quit them forever ... next month ... maybe.

Now, where's my Thompson's catalogue???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob . I really enjoy your cigar reviews .:clap:

I am just a beginner but have fallen in love with fine cigars . Of course my favorite are the ones from Cuba . Cieblo ???? or something like that . A friend got me hooked last year in Panama . I'm looking forward to going back and trying more .
Don't feel bad about the stocks today . Wanna trade ? I got hosed too .

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I wish there were more reviews.

In the summer, almost every Friday and Saturday evening I smoke a cigar, I buy different ones every time, even though I did buy a sampler from Thompson once. I don't have a favorite yet, and I've been doing this coming up on the third year now. I need to find a favorite and buy a couple of boxes.

What I've found is that cigars are not like wine - some inexpensive wines are really quite good. Haven't smoked a good inexpensive cigar yet. I guess I am doomed to paying more for a smoke than a bottle of wine.

Also, I only smoke about maybe 50 cigars a year. I have had no luck keeping them long in an appropriate sized humidor based on my consumption. The little humidifiers that work on the soak-in-water theory run out of water before I can refill, and the cigars go dry. I am hoping somebody can point me to a small humidifier I can tie into a water pipe that replenishes itself just like the furnace humidifier. If I have to build a small humidor to house the humidifier, I will. But first I have to find a humidifier.