• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cigar Review: "FONSECA #4 Cedar"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I added some new cigars to the shop and, as is my custom, I try them out so I can give customers my personal opinions.

Been working my way through the new brands over the past week or so and today I'm burning away at at FONSECA #4 Cedar.

This is a TIGHT cigar, the draw is not effortless, it takes some effort to get the smoke from the burning end to your mouth. Sometimes that is just a bad roll, but sometimes that is characteristic of the brand. I went to the internet and looked up this one so see what I could find, apparently lots of people have the same impression that this cigar has a hard draw. That is one strike in my book. But the flavor is very nice. As denoted by the name, this cigar has a mild cedar flavor mixed into the other complex flavors of the cigar. Each cigar is wrapped in cedar and that probably helps to impart the flavor into the cigar; but I've had many other cedar wrapped cigars that did not have this overt and noticeable cedar flavor, so there must be more to it?

The wrapper is dark and a bit rough but the ash is burning pure white. The wrapper looks a bit rough, or perhaps rugged with thick veining. The cigar is also packed very tightly, which I believe is what is contributing to the hard draw. There is a LOT of flavor in this cigar, and while I'm not done with it I'm going to rate this cigar as one of the more intense cigars on my strength/intensity scale. Perhaps not as strong as a Comacho, but clearly this is not a cigar for beginners (or Dargo) as it will knock you on your butt if you're a newbie.

This is a good solid smoke. Not as finely made as some of the other premiums, but at a mid-price point its not a bad value. Looking for a good stout cigar to pair up with strong whiskey, port wine, or strong black coffee.