• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CIGAR REVIEW: Drew Estates Tabak Especial Negra Robusto

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A cigar thread got started yesterday so I figured I'd post a short review of one of the more interesting cigars to come my way lately.

The DREW ESTATES "Tabak Especial" Negra in the Robusto size/shape.

This is a cigar that takes itself more seriously than the ACID line, which is also produced by Drew Estates. Drew Estates blends some of the very best complex flavored cigars in the world. ACID is their brand line up that is aimed at the younger smokers (under 35 yrs old). The Tabak Especial line up is also a flavored line, but is more subtle, has hints of coffee/cappuccino flavoring and yet retains some tobacco in the tobacco. Not to sweet, but this still has a bit more than a hint of sweetness too it, it balances nicely with a good black cup of hot coffee.

Robusto is a shape/size of cigar. This one is 5" long by a ring gauge of 50 so its short and stout and that is what a Robusto should be.

The wrapper is a maduro, very dark brown and smooth with some veining but no blemishes. The cigar has a ragged foot that exposes loose tobacco at the end, not sure that that provides any real function but it looks interesting in the case. I generally find ragged foot cigars a little more trouble to light, but not so much that I'd pass on one because of that feature. As it burns, the ash is nearly white and the construction of the cigar is very high quality with a firm but subtle feel. The maduro wrapper is appropriately flexible, consistent with a good fermented maduro leaf wrapper. It burns evenly and smokes cool.

2-5.jpg

This is the sort of cigar that pretty successfully bridges the gap between the flavored cigars and the serious tobacco smokes. While I usually like tobacco in my tobacco, I have to admit that the Tabak Especial Negra Robusto is one of the few flavored cigars that I return to smoke on a fairly regular basis.

If you like ACID cigars with their intense spice or flavor and are looking for something that is a little different and a bit more serious, or if you are a serious cigar smoker looking for something a bit less serious and want to try a cigar with a bit of a different flavor, then this one is a pretty good bet. Nice hints of coffee, a modest sweetness, and a good smoke all combined expertly in this cigar.

Just my twocents but I really enjoy this one when I want to relax.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There's been a column of blue smoke to the west of here all morning.

Is that you and the new cigar?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
yup

Started this one quite a while before posting . . . and still puffing away at it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well damn this is a good cigar.

I know I am bringing back an old thread from the dead, but honestly this cigar has become one of my all time favorite "go to" cigars for when I just want to sit back and relax with a cup of coffee (or even something like a traditional adult beverage).

Several folks who come into the cigar shop are now hooked on this cigar because they too love it :wub:

Nice and mild, great flavor, excellent construction. What is not to love :hammer: