• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cheap Amazon parts

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Be careful about ordering ignition coils on Amazon. I've had ok luck so far with other stuff I get but these are CRAP!

Back story....my truck started acting up in December and threw a code saying my #5 ignition coil was faulty. Ok. So I ordered a set of coils and plugs figuring I would change them all. In town, $70 per coil and $60 for plugs. Online...$180 for 6 coils and plugs. Better deal, or so I thought. I installed them 3 weeks ago and, long story short, 3 weeks later I have just finished removing all the plugs and reinstalled 6 new plugs sourced locally along with 4 of my old coils and 2 new ones. Truck is running fine again. And the Amazon garbage is being sent back.
20240307_121805.jpg

20240307_121823.jpg

Here's the biggest problem with them.

20240307_121818.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed on it's hit-or-miss on what you get.
I read the reviews to see how others are doing with the product.
Sometimes I get things figuring they may be junk but what I get will work for my application.
E.g. I needed a grommet for the fuel tank on a weed-eater. Buying just the grommet (but you can't buy just one) would cost me about $9. I can order the complete (China crap) carburetor with all the hoses, grommets, filters... for $13. I buy the $13 kit and just pull out the components I need like the fuel line, filter and grommet. The remainder sits on a shelf for the next time I need salvage parts.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. Stuff like brakes and other bolt on suspension parts have been ok. Brakes....I've forked out good money for the expensive pads and rotors in the past but found them to be the same for durability as everything takes a beating with the salt up here.

I just ordered a set of pads, rotors, and calipers for the back of my son's nissan rogue last week. Saved him about $200 over locally. They last just as long as the expensive ones and do the same thing.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have Toyotas. I'm very particular about the parts brands. Reviews on amazon can't always be trusted.

For instance, I recently had to replace the whole carbon canister on a '12 Rav4 ( piece of ?? in the road smashed it) Could have got one for about $70 on amzn but coughed up for OEM straight from Japan on ebay $400. It was still half the price of buying it from dealer.
Bonus ! I got a bunch of Japanese newspaper with it. I can't read it but the ads and pictures were interesting.

J5 Bombardier

Rotors , pads, some suspension parts parts I would have no qualms about deviating from Ford .Engine parts like phasers , chains most definitely OEM . I recently tried Ford "OEM" coils (they say) from Rock Auto for an 02 V10 , half the price from Ford up here , with good results. For an older vehicle , I kind of straddle the line , avoid the total cheap junk out there and look for a half decent price.
J5 Bombardier

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Once upon a time when the exchange rate wasn't so wide, I used to shop mainly ebay for parts and have them shipped to the border. Amazon has upped their game in the parts department for the mostpart being equal in value for something shipped right to my door vs having to drive to the border to pick up packages. Ebay selection for the Canadian site kinda sucks and the shipping costs are crazy. I can have 10 packages shipped to the border for free in the states then drive 45 minutes to get them. Or, pay roughly $25 per package for shipping here. Most Amazon selections on the Canadian site have come in line with ebay and Amazon in the states. Ebay for some reason in Canada still sucks. Shipping costs in Canada kill the price.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For functional parts I tend to stay away from unbranded (unrecognizable brands) anything from anywhere.

Northern Tool, unnamed Amazon brands, Harbor Freight, unnamed eBay brands, etc are all forbidden products even for simple things like pre-made wire connections. O'Reilly Auto, AutoZone, NAPA, etc all have stores within 30 minutes drive, if I need something I will try them first. I'll order parts and have used RockAuto.com with good results.

Regarding Amazon, eBay, HF, etc etc etc UN-BRANDED anything . . . some of the cheap UNBRANDED tools, that are stand alone work for 5 minutes, some for 5 years, but it illustrates that reliability and quality control simply don't exist. Same applies to cheap UNBRANDED parts. But the tools are a lot easier to return because they don't require you to tear something apart, install the part, then test it, find it failed, and then have to tear it apart again.