• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

buy me a new TV

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My SWMBO say's our (actually the one she watches) TV is dying its a Visio 42".
I'm unhappy with my newer Visio TV in my shop were I watch TV.
All I watch is youtube and I cant get it to stay as my default "channel" it go's to Visio's home app. page, picture and every thing else is great.
S0 sell me a new TV. :)

It can't be over 55" because of wall space

chowderman

Visio is BestBuys "private brand" - iffin I recall correctly....
had one - recently died - all sound, no video.... lived decently long, don't recall but it's death did not trigger my OMG! senses....

checked Walmart - nothing but mega-big sizes
checked Costco - nothing but mega-big sizes

for a bedroom set, bought a 32" - TCL brand
easy set up - integrated/worked right off the bat with a Comcast cable box remote.
good color / resolution / contrast. built in streaming "everything" - if you need/use it.
Comcast has more channels than I can absorb, set auto-does Amazon Prime streaming - which I have yet to find a use for....

one nit - it has a (presumed LED) "standby" light that is on when the set is "off"
for a bedroom - being LED lit up is not so great . . . working on blanking the light off - however comma it appears the IR port the remote "speaks to" is integral to the standby light "face plate" . . . so may be able to minimize but not eliminate the unwanted "night light" effect....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a couple different brands of TV sets recently for the fencing club and my home. One is a Toshiba, the other is a Pioneer. Both are Amazon FireTV sets, featuring the Amazon Fire app as the default 'smart tv' application, which is something I can NOT recommend.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Visio is BestBuys "private brand" - iffin I recall correctly....
had one - recently died - all sound, no video.... lived decently long, don't recall but it's death did not trigger my OMG! senses....

checked Walmart - nothing but mega-big sizes
checked Costco - nothing but mega-big sizes

for a bedroom set, bought a 32" - TCL brand
easy set up - integrated/worked right off the bat with a Comcast cable box remote.
good color / resolution / contrast. built in streaming "everything" - if you need/use it.
Comcast has more channels than I can absorb, set auto-does Amazon Prime streaming - which I have yet to find a use for....

one nit - it has a (presumed LED) "standby" light that is on when the set is "off"
for a bedroom - being LED lit up is not so great . . . working on blanking the light off - however comma it appears the IR port the remote "speaks to" is integral to the standby light "face plate" . . . so may be able to minimize but not eliminate the unwanted "night light" effect....

Dynex / Insingia is best buy's brand

Visio is avalable at sams walmart target and many other outlets

amazon is a no go for me because of the fire default app,

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've always liked Sony... haven't had to buy one for years and years...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm also in the market for a new TV.
I read a few reviews and found out we now have 3 options for LED type TV's.
OLED. Top of line, very expensive Each LED can emit more than one color making things sharper. :pat: Not sure I'd notice.
but these are in the 1500 to 2000 dollar range.
QLED. A little better than LED so they can charge more.
LED. What we've all seen. Most of the 500 dollar range TV's are LED. An for my eyes that's all I need.
I bought a plasma 10 years ago. It has worked great and that is the one I'm replaced as I want to mount the new one on the wall to same space. But I paid 1500 for the plasma. Before that I paid over 2k for one of the GIANT rear projected TV's. Don't wanna pay that much for a TV anymore and see no need to be on the cutting edge.

So my Son In Law is a movie buff. His and his friends research claim LG has the best LED pic of all the basic LED TV's.
Vizio is okay. I have one in the bedroom. But they built in 'smart' part of it is annoying. I do not use the built in smart part of the TV, I prefer Roku and have it set on all my TV's.
I'll be shopping a bit harder after boating season but for now LG and TCL are high on my list for starters.
TCL was one of Toms guides best pick.
See their reviews in link below.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
From what I have seen, BJs has better TV prices than Costco. Might check them before you buy.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Samsung is another leader, but they're not cheap. For smaller smart TVs, it's hard to beat the TCL Roku TVs. We have had 2 for years and they just work. Roku also has virtually any app you would need. Amazon's having another Prime Day in October. You can get a pretty good deal on these at that time.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll pile on with the TCL recommendation. I think we have 7 or 8 of them and no problems whatsoever.
Toshiba is another decent brand that also seems bulletproof.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
When I got starlink I had to get a new tv for the bedroom, 32" Insignia for I think $89.00 and free shipping. Wasn't too bad to set up by an old fart with limited electronic now how. So far its working as good as any I had. Came with Amazon prime for 30 days. I added the apps I like.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, I just bought a 40" Hisense (cheap chinese brand) for Dasha from Walmart. Cost (US)$169.00

Actually looks pretty good. I am surprised.

I still like Samsungs the best. I usually buy 'mid-quality' products.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, I just bought a 40" Hisense (cheap chinese brand) for Dasha from Walmart. Cost (US)$169.00

Actually looks pretty good. I am surprised.

I still like Samsungs the best. I usually buy 'mid-quality' products.
im not sure its worth going name brand like in the passed on tv's. none of them last anymore. I paid $2700.00 for a mittsubisi 64" projection tv in 2015 or 16. its been dead for 5 years now.

PGBC

Last fall I picked up two 55" Hisense televisions at Costco, cost me about $1100 for both, and am more than happy with them.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of Hisense, I'm pretty sure they're the company that makes Toshiba and Sharp TV's.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I broke down and bought a new TCL 55" model 55S470G led display PICTURE is great for $267 at Sams when we on a grocery run.

It's mounted in place of the 43" visio in the living room my grandson walked past and got a half step and noticed it my daughter came over for dinner sat down to watch tv with my wife and it took a half hour for her to realize it.

I like the interface you can set it to come on to last input you selected Visio smart tv I have can't do that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last month I bought a 75" LG on sale at walmart for 648, regular 729. Walmart even offered installation for 87 dollars. I took advantage of that. And they installed it the following week (in december no less). Did a good job.
Good thing I got it on sale. Look how much it is now. LOL :bonk:

LG 75" Class 4K UHD 2160P webOS Smart TV - 75UQ7070ZUD​

(4.4)4.4 stars out of 1469 reviews
$648.00

Last edited:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last month I bought a 75" LG on sale at walmart for 648, regular 729. Walmart even offered installation for 87 dollars. I took advantage of that. And they installed it the following week (in december no less). Did a good job.
Good thing I got it on sale. Look how much it is now. LOL :bonk:

LG 75" Class 4K UHD 2160P webOS Smart TV - 75UQ7070ZUD​

(4.4)4.4 stars out of 1469 reviews1469 reviews
$648.00
Wow I'd get wiplash watching something moving on a 75 inch TV my living room is only 12 wide ;)
How's the interface switching from apps to hdmi inputs????

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is simple to switch HDMI ports. Took me a bit to figure out how to get the TV to start up on the HDMI port that my ROKU is plugged into. Once I got that figured out I never have to switch HDMI ports.
We had a 55" plasma on a stand in this 20x20 family room. I was concerned 75" might be to big but once up and mounted it is perfect for the room.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Im sitting here with the Visio tv on listening to the iowa caucas results and TV reboots it self in the middle of the youtube video :mad:
I had to do a hard reset unplug tv hold in power button plug back in and set network up and go back to the show.
Im so glad I didn't buy another visio.

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will walmart adds be cast in to your TV????

link

Walmart is planning to acquire TV maker Vizio in a deal valued at approximately $2.3 billion. Rumors of the deal emerged last week, and now the retail giant says the acquisition is official and part of a move to boost its ad business.
“The acquisition of Vizio and its SmartCast Operating System (OS) would enable Walmart to connect with and serve its customers in new ways including innovative television and in-home entertainment and media experiences,” says Walmart in a press release. “It would also create new opportunities to help advertisers connect with customers, empowering brands with differentiated and compelling opportunities to engage at scale and to realize greater impact from their advertising spend with Walmart.”
Vizio has more than 500 direct advertiser partnerships, thanks to its Vizio Platform Plus business — which the company says “now accounts for a majority of the company’s gross profit.” Vizio’s smart TV OS, SmartCast, is also used by more than 18 million active accounts.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good for them. For now using Roku lets me avoid all those Vizio ads. I know it will not last but enjoying it while I can.