• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Becoming a landlord as the economy goes to hell

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had my largest investment in 1 large commercial/industrial property. It was a solid investment, but 1 tenant. Sold it for a nice profit. Thought it would be easy to reinvest.

And I did this just as the economy started to take a dump.

Banks started telling me they would not lend money on any sort of commercial investment, not even medical buildings, etc. They were favoring multi-family residential as the future strongest investment. Large industrial property with national tenants was the 2nd most favored loan. I have identified 3 properties, each are 20 unit complexes or buildings. So it looks like I'll end up those, or similar, buildings. It would let me sell off 1 of these smaller properties at a time to spread, or defer my tax hit, from the sale of this one commercial property over time or as I choose. Hardest part is it appears that EVERY OTHER INVESTOR is also shopping for multi-family properties so not quite a bidding war for these properties, but certainly shifting to a sellers market very rapidly.

Never wanted to be a residential landlord, but even hiring a management company for each property it looks like I'll end up making more on residential than I was able to get out of the commercial property.

Tax advisors want me to borrow some money and spend most of the sale equity to totally defer my tax bite. Tax codes are a P.I.T.A. but I don't see much option.

With the price of single family homes unaffordable for new home buyers, it seems like more people are getting shoved into the rental market. Sad state of affairs. I may personally benefit from this but it doesn't mean it is great for America to have people priced out of the housing market.

On a very personal level, I'm also buying a condo for my daughter. She too is priced out of the market. She is now a lawyer, living in Chicago, makes a solid 6 figure income, top 5% of the income curve, but as she is still young, has not had time to save up enough for a down payment since banks are raising the minimum down payment requirements. Condo prices are down, picked up a nice 3 bedroom in a quiet spot in the city near the downtown but isolated from the crazy stuff. Close on that next week and start renovations. She will enter a "lease to own" agreement with us, after a 2 year lease is complete we will convert to a contract sale, with the lease profits applied as a down payment on the condo. I.R.S. rules approve it, she gets a good deal. But again, she and other young professionals like her, are also priced out of the new housing market, so again, not great for America that people can't get into the ownership housing market.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I had my largest investment in 1 large commercial/industrial property. It was a solid investment, but 1 tenant. Sold it for a nice profit. Thought it would be easy to reinvest.

And I did this just as the economy started to take a dump.

Banks started telling me they would not lend money on any sort of commercial investment, not even medical buildings, etc. They were favoring multi-family residential as the future strongest investment. Large industrial property with national tenants was the 2nd most favored loan. I have identified 3 properties, each are 20 unit complexes or buildings. So it looks like I'll end up those, or similar, buildings. It would let me sell off 1 of these smaller properties at a time to spread, or defer my tax hit, from the sale of this one commercial property over time or as I choose. Hardest part is it appears that EVERY OTHER INVESTOR is also shopping for multi-family properties so not quite a bidding war for these properties, but certainly shifting to a sellers market very rapidly.

Never wanted to be a residential landlord, but even hiring a management company for each property it looks like I'll end up making more on residential than I was able to get out of the commercial property.

Tax advisors want me to borrow some money and spend most of the sale equity to totally defer my tax bite. Tax codes are a P.I.T.A. but I don't see much option.

With the price of single family homes unaffordable for new home buyers, it seems like more people are getting shoved into the rental market. Sad state of affairs. I may personally benefit from this but it doesn't mean it is great for America to have people priced out of the housing market.
So far out here the housing prices haven't dropped enough for me to consider a purchase for rental then sell when the price improves.
Plus being a landlord in the current political climate, where any day we could get another pandemic that would shut the economy and make it impossible to kick out deadbeats. Commercial properties have been distressed here for sometime, with lots of shuttered businesses in every town. Statistics say that the pandemic shuttered 40% of small businesses did not survive or return. There are some attractive deals, but who would you rent or sell it to? I paid off my home early this year and have no bills going into retirement in a couple years. For now until prices change more I will just take the tax hit.

Reactions: Doc

chowderman

keep in mind, when the next flu season comes, or the economy goes deeper into the tank, politicians are fond of Executive Orders allowing tenants to stop paying their rent.... but the landlord still has to pay his loans . . .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at the political climate. Strong consideration. But banks don't seem to see that happening again. As for the loan issues and paying them back, that is only a mild consideration. The equity position I will hold in these properties versus the loan amounts will be very strong, making it easy for loans to be paid back even if only a handful of tenants in each property are making the payments. So should we end up with the next China flu shutdown, and the analysts now look back at that as a mistake, it doesn't look too likely there will be a rent deferral like that again.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a condo in FL for our personal use. The prices here have skyrocketed. We could easily sell ours for $80-90K more than we bought it for 2 years ago.
Because the Mrs and I both retired early and didn't have a regular, payroll income, they wouldn't give us a loan.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a condo in FL for our personal use. The prices here have skyrocketed. We could easily sell ours for $80-90K more than we bought it for 2 years ago.
Because the Mrs and I both retired early and didn't have a regular, payroll income, they wouldn't give us a loan.
Various real estate hot spots exist in the US, pretty much all the coastal and tourist regions of Florida remain hot because that is one of the few states gaining serious population. Texas has big hot spots for real estate. Parts of Tennessee and the Carolinas too. I'm sure there are other places that are gaining value.

Cities seem to be universally losing. Suburbs and rural areas generally gaining as people flee crime and taxes. Businesses are moving too.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Various real estate hot spots exist in the US, pretty much all the coastal and tourist regions of Florida remain hot because that is one of the few states gaining serious population. Texas has big hot spots for real estate. Parts of Tennessee and the Carolinas too. I'm sure there are other places that are gaining value.

Cities seem to be universally losing. Suburbs and rural areas generally gaining as people flee crime and taxes. Businesses are moving too.
Until Claus and the gang force everyone into the cities.