• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

anoter vw powered snow cat

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7aF8Fj7BZs"]VW Snow Track Ankara - YouTube[/ame] this one looks a little fragile but I have to believe it's got a pretty light footprint.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Unless he is in some super light and deep powder I'm curious as to why his tracks are so wide. And if he is in super light/deep powder then he may need more horsepower than the VW engine can provide given the overall weight of that machine???

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the front tires are "rudders" since they are still on there. Other wise I don't see any way, without turn brakes on the rear axles. Looks like a waste of time and $ to me.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
kirk I think you are right there is no way he could brake steer it even with cutting brakes as those tracks would brake an axle if it didn't kill the motor

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I forgot the video did show it moving, so it's still one up on Big Als krusty which hasn't yet moved under it's own power

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish there was a explaination on youtube....

I think the video is video project more so than a over the snow project. It appears that the video is shot in the removal of the tracks then the video is show in reverse giving the illusion of putting them on when if fact he may have taped it taking them off. watch as he miss steps or seems to kick the tires on the passenger side and when he picks up the lug wrench.

Man with a bunch of parts and some spare time. All that was missing was the can of beer and the grill and a couple of buddies encouraging him....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea I thought there was something hokey about that video, and how the guy was moving. I bet your right about reverse play....

Regards, Kirk

Toesmasher

I have an old Ford Ranger I would like to do something like that to. Would cutting brakes like they put on some dune buggies work for steering, or not strong enough.

Also is there a reference source out there anywhere that explains the pros and cons of tracked vehicles(i.e. front verses rear drive, brakes/steering, etc. like a go to reference source for all questions regarding tracked vehicles). Reason I ask is I would like to possibly build something like a small personal vehicle.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have known folks who have tried that and it didn't work. I believe a weasel rearend would be the cheapest way to go. problem in my little part of the world seems to be the only place you can look around and find an abundance of weasel parts.