• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

8N vs 9N

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve operated a 9N, never a 8N. I’m hearing the 8N is the way to go for the 4 speed and PTO positioning. I’m looking for either to use solely for a 5’ bush hog. Input requested or a recommended frugal alternative. There’s a lot of Fords out there reasonable ……

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I ama 9N fan. They are simple machines and easy to keep running in the field.
The 8N is more popular and parts are easy to find. It also comes standard at 12 volts unlike the 9N which is six.
Most 9'stoday are converted to12. Mine is.

I believe the engine of the 9N is slightly larger. 20HP vrs18. But it is low compression.

Operationally, I cannot see a difference except for the live PTO on the 8N disengages with the clutch. When you stop with the Brush hog engaged, the spinning blades will push you forward. There is a coupling available that prevents this, but it is a dangerous feature.

I am a fan of the 9N but frankly, you would be happier with the 8N as it is "technically" more modern. Both are decent machines for the purposes you have intended.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I started out with an 8N. Loved that little machine. I think they came after the 9N. Mine was a 1952 model. I bought it for brush hogging but after it about pushed me over a hill two times and I had issues with the battery (6 volt positive ground). I either had to convert to 12 v negative ground or ....save up my pennies and buy a newer tractor. I sold it and bought a Kubota.

edit to add:
I should say part of my issues with it pushing me over the hill was operator inexperience. It was my first tractor ever.
Yesterdays Tractors Forum was a great source for info on these babies.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NAA if you can find it, several advantages over an 8N, but an Oliver Super 66 would be even better, and those are diesel. My Super 66 (sold many years ago), was restored to parade condition and also a true workhouse. Way better than any of the Ford models mentioned so far.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I started out with an 8N. Loved that little machine. I think they came after the 9N. Mine was a 1952 model. I bought it for brush hogging but after it about pushed me over a hill two times and I had issues with the battery (6 volt positive ground). I either had to convert to 12 v negative ground or ....save up my pennies and buy a newer tractor. I sold it and bought a Kubota.

edit to add:
I should say part of my issues with it pushing me over the hill was operator inexperience. It was my first tractor ever.
Yesterdays Tractors Forum was a great source for info on these babies.
I could use my Kioti but it already gets implement swaps regularly including backhoe. I’m just gonna set up a bush hog machine and be done.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I could use my Kioti but it already gets implement swaps regularly including backhoe. I’m just gonna set up a bush hog machine and be done.

Bush hog machine screams for a LIVE PTO

The the Oliver 66 or the Ford NAA

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I said frugal Bob!! 🤣🤣
Last time I checked, which I admit was long ago, all were priced similarly.

Perhaps times have changed and people now understand that not every 1950-s era machine is created equally? Some are clearly better!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last time I checked, which I admit was long ago, all were priced similarly.

Perhaps times have changed and people now understand that not every 1950-s era machine is created equally? Some are clearly better!
2 - 2.5 times to equal condition

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with the live pto if you are only mowing or bailing its the way to go so you can slow down but keep pto running at the correct pto speed.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You didn't mention your budget.
I did a CL search for ford. In the results, there's an 8N, 9N and Jubilee, all around the $2000-2500 mark. Pretty close to you as well.
And I have them all bookmarked ;) . Anything less than 5K would be nice but I find my self looking more at bigger diesels. Already have a diesel tank ;)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting conversation. I might add that a live PTO means the PTO has an independent clutch mechanism. You can turn off or on the PTO at anytime. Non live PTO means the PTO uses the ground drive clutch to operate it, there for if you stop so does the PTO.

Never was a Ford fan and there were not common here. The smallest tractor we have is an Oliver Super 88 diesel. For decades it served as the loader tractor for our livestock operation. Great older tractors.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Ford 3000 is a great tractor.
That said, I won't buy something without 4-wheel-drive. I moved around 40 tons of dirt today, will be moving 40-80 tons of millings tomorrow. 2WD just wouldn't get it done. I tried.
Maybe look at something like a Ford 1720 or 1920.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Have been mowing and grading my place with a 1953 Ford Jubilee, first year of overhead valves. I have been using it since 2007 for mowing with a brush hog, when I first got it I excavated the building site where my shop now sits with a set of rippers and a box scraper. Took me all summer to make a 100x100 level pad that was 4' high on one side. I have bought a few batteries and changed the oil, but thats about it. its the energizer bunny.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Ford 3000 is a great tractor.
That said, I won't buy something without 4-wheel-drive. I moved around 40 tons of dirt today, will be moving 40-80 tons of millings tomorrow. 2WD just wouldn't get it done. I tried.
Maybe look at something like a Ford 1720 or 1920.
I still have my Kioti

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one is screaming at me ….. $6500

I have some questions into the holder, live PTO was optional on this model with the 8 speed.
If it has the live PTO and is in good condition, I think it is an OK buy.
They have a differential lock I see in the specs you posted. A very big plus in my opinion.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
@Big Dog
Here's a couple near you.
8N for $2400.

9N for $1900

Also saw this one but it may be a bit of a drive for you.
00o0o_19uXLdAUAE3_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Greg,

Spotted this on CL. 9N & a brush hog for $1125. The brush hog alone is worth probably that much.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The one i have is a Ford 601 Workmaster, it is the NAA style with the ohv engine and way more power, the tractor itself is also a little bigger and has live hydraulics. I bought mine at auction for $1200. I would do it again tomorrow if i had the opportunity.
I have restored 3 8N’s. The next Ford I restored was an 851. The 100 series Fords are head and shoulders above the N series.