• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2023 "Best" Satellite 2-way Messangers

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Given how quickly technology advances, I'm really surprised to see how little things changed over the past couple years with Satellite Communicators.

Seems like the very same units that are ranked as "top units" today by various websites/magazines are the exact same units as were available 2-3 or more years ago. The Spot X that I have owned for several years is EXACTLY the same model being sold today. It appears that the Garmin InReach Mini is now the Mini2, but they only seemed to have improved its previously poor screen. The ARC Bivy Stick is under the ARC brand now, it was originally just the Bivy Stick, new owner, but same technology.

Also still only 2 satellite networks. SPOT owners their own Globalstar satellites, which is a blessing and a limitation. SPOT still does not have true GLOBAL coverage, but for those of us who use them in the Americas or Europe, it has you covered. Don't try it in the oceans, or parts of Asia or Africa. IRIDIUM is the other satellite option and everyone else uses that system, so Garmin, ARC, Zoleo, etc are all using the exact same service, have the exact same coverage (which is full global coverage) but are subject to higher service fees for most users.

Me, I am still happy with my SPOT X. Yes, it might be a little slower than Iridium based systems but that's not really an issue for me.

SEE NEXT POSTS for the start of the "expert" reviews from 3 different sources

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From POPULAR MECHANICS
The 8 Best Satellite Messengers you can buy this year:

The 8 Best Satellite Messengers Make It Easy to Stay Connected, Wherever Your Adventures Take You

garmin inreach mini 2
Call it a satellite communicator or a satellite messenger. Either way, you don’t want to go off the grid without one. In emergencies, these handheld devices let you call for help, but most of the time, they’re a conduit for texting with family or friends when cell service is spotty at best. Some even have navigation features to help you find your way.
Garmin and Spot are the biggest names on the market, but in recent years new competitors have joined the fray with more affordable options designed to work with your smartphone. Whether hiking, roaming the backcountry, or fishing at sea, these are the best satellite messengers to keep on hand.
Are you searching for helpful backcountry tech? Check our picks for the best Garmin watches for women, GPS units for hikers, and smartwatches.

The Best Satellite Messengers​

What to Consider​

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Iridium Versus Globalstar: Which Satellite Network is Best?

If you can see the sky, you can usually send a message with a satellite communicator. That’s because these devices transmit radio waves up to satellites in low Earth orbit to send texts. They also work with separate GPS satellites (based in medium Earth orbit, thousands of miles farther from the surface) to pinpoint and track your location.

There are a handful of private satellite communication networks in the outdoor recreation market, but the two big players are Iridium and Globalstar.

Iridium started commercial service in 1998 and recently replaced its aging orbiting infrastructure with the help of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rockets. The company promises global coverage through 66 satellites and a few spares that are 476 miles from Earth. Globalstar, which owns Spot, began in 2007 and offers coverage in 120 countries, including coverage across the Americas, Europe, Australia, and much of Africa and Asia.

Either network is fine for most adventurers, but if you’re planning a trip to the poles, in central Africa, or parts of the Middle East, choose Iridium’s broader coverage.

Remember, the clearer the path to the sky, the better your connection will be. For the best service, avoid sending texts from tight canyons, dense forests, or in cloudy conditions. It’s also a good idea to ensure your message was delivered before throwing your communicator in your pack, as the fabric or other gear can also interrupt transmission.

Know Your Messaging Preferences

Selecting your preferred messaging capabilities can help you choose the right satellite communicator. The majority of models offer two-way messaging so you can receive texts from loved ones or emergency responders, but Spot offers devices with outgoing capabilities only. The option to send custom or preset messages (programmed before you leave home) via SMS or email is also fairly standard, but some gadgets only allow for one or the other.

You also have a choice between a standalone device or one that integrates with your phone via Bluetooth. Standalone units almost always have a screen for mapping purposes and have either a qwerty or touchscreen keyboard for messaging. These extras come with a price penalty, but it’s a fair tradeoff if you want to save weight by ditching your phone. Then again, if you’re photographing your adventures with your phone, choosing an integrated device will let you save some dough.

Other Considerations

All satellite messengers have GPS location tracking in case of emergency, or so your contacts back home can monitor where your device is. A few devices stop there, but many provide offline maps, downloadable waypoints, or other features commonly found in handheld GPS units. If you already use and are committed to a GPS app or prefer paper maps, skipping out on real-time navigation is another way to save money.

As with any battery-operated gear you’ll be hauling on your back, bike, or boat, don’t forget to factor in battery life and weight. And remember, just like your cell phone, your satellite communicator requires a data plan to send and receive messages and track your location.

Most companies offer annual and monthly subscriptions, which are more cost-effective for people who only take a few trips each year. There are often activation fees to start (or resume) service, and you can also get dinged with coverage charges unless you’ve selected an unlimited plan. It’s a good idea to review a specific company’s policy before purchasing.

FULL STORY, Ranking and Details at the link above. But spoiler alert, Garmin InReach Mini2 is their Top Pick, the 2nd spot is the SPOT X. Go to the link to read specifics pros and cons for each of these units.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 9.24.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 9.24.57 PM.png

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple other articles on the same topic. Units are mostly the same in every article I found. Rankings are mixed up a bit from article to article, which I believe is based on the bias of the writer.

And speaking of bias, I wanted coverage where I needed it (primarily North America), in a stand alone unit (not dependent upon a connection with my phone), and that basically locked me into one choice. SPOT X. I very seriously thought about items like the ARC ResQLink beacons, probably, in hindsight, would have been good enough for me. SPOT X gave me 2 way communication in some very remote areas without cellular coverage, but did I actually "need" to send that 'check in' message or did I just set up a family expectation that it would arrive each night and I didn't want them to worry? Cell coverage has gotten a lot better, even in rural areas. Still plenty of dead spots where phone calls don't connect but a TEXT will often get through even if phone service doesn't.

GEAR JUNKIE's view of the 2023 best satellite communicators:

OUTDOOR GEAR LAB's viewpoints:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just an added follow up.

The Satellite Communicator are not limited to just back country use. I have a mount on my motorcycle, which is often in semi-remote rural areas of Indiana and Illinois. But the bike does go into areas where any sort of cell signal is iffy, often barely there and totally unreliable for a voice call. Having the Satellite signal with GPS location is a great piece of mind.

I also have a dash mount for my pick up truck, some of the areas I drive thru are not exactly remote, but it is 15 to 20 miles between towns on my may between town when I drive the rural highways to Purdue. So having a Sat-Com unit that offers free check in messages, and also offers SOS capability my be less important than in the mountains, but as my fencing practices end at Purdue at Midnight, and I frequently see less than 10 vehicles between campus and home while driving, it is nice to have an SOS function and the GPS location feature to get someone to me... should I need it.

I'll probably add a mount to each of my vehicles for the SPOT X. In fact, not sure why I didn't already do that.