• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2010 Maxey Trailer in Ogden (not mine)

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
This trailer is for sale on a used auto lot in Ogden for $7900. Appears to be in great condition. I was interested and got them down to $7350 including the $399 "dealer fee", (pre-tax). But it still didn't set well for me to pay that much for a 12-year-old trailer when you can buy a brand new Diamond C deckover for around $10K. Anyway, here it is if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

1643906300232.png

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Why can't people put the important specs when selling trailers? Like the weight capacity. I'm guessing it's a 7K trailer but it would be nice to know the actual specs.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
For the record, I wasn't crabbing at the OP. I just bought a 24K tilt deck and it was super annoying trying to get the specs out of the sellers. So it is just me voicing a general pet peeve.

That Maxey trailer does look super nice though. If it was closer I would be really tempted.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
This trailer is for sale on a used auto lot in Ogden for $7900. Appears to be in great condition. I was interested and got them down to $7350 including the $399 "dealer fee", (pre-tax). But it still didn't set well for me to pay that much for a 12-year-old trailer when you can buy a brand new Diamond C deckover for around $10K. Anyway, here it is if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

View attachment 144328
Jon,

I sympathize regarding the age and asking price, and especially the BS dealer fee. My impression, for what it's worth, is that the Maxey is a dedicated snowcat trailer, and built in lower quantities. The Diamond C is probably a standard deckover trailer sold for a number of applications.

To compare apples to apples, is the Diamond C also a tilting trailer, and if so, how does the tilt system work? I THINK the Maxey uses an unpowered hydraulic cylinder that acts as a damper, but otherwise it works via gravity.
It does look like it's in excellent shape and a very nice design....

Our DMC 1450 came with a trailer similar to the Maxey. I thought it was a Maxey and reached out to them for some help. There was no VIN data plate, and at their request, I sent photos to Maxey. They told me it wasn't theirs. Doing some more research I found out that DMC had some trailers built to their specs which looked like Maxeys, but weren't. I mention all this because two of the tilting deck frame members were cracked. We think at some point in its life a previous owner used the trailer to transport a heavy four wheel vehicle and with the weight in four points, as opposed to more evenly spread out with a snowcat's track system, the frame cracked. I wouldn't call it a design or engineering flaw as we think it was being used for a purpose for which it wasn't designed. Just some food for thought...

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
BFT - you are correct that the Maxey uses an unpowered hydraulic cylinder to dampen the tilt. I'm not sure if the Diamond C is powered or unpowered. I had a tilting Maxey S/A (8 x 14', I think) when I had my 1404, and it was definitely spicy to load! Since the 1404 had a manual transmission, you couldn't really "creep" up the ramp. You basically had to go for it and then by the time you stopped you were so far beyond the balance point that the deck slammed down hard. I would put the jack stand down so that my truck didn't take the brunt of the force. Loading an auto transmission machine on these trailers is WAY easier. They are definitely purpose-built, and the open channel is nice for oil changes, etc. if you don't have a shop/lift. If you've ever tried to change the oil on a LMC 1500 on flat ground, the space is so tight that it can induce panic attacks!

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
BFT - you are correct that the Maxey uses an unpowered hydraulic cylinder to dampen the tilt. I'm not sure if the Diamond C is powered or unpowered. I had a tilting Maxey S/A (8 x 14', I think) when I had my 1404, and it was definitely spicy to load! Since the 1404 had a manual transmission, you couldn't really "creep" up the ramp. You basically had to go for it and then by the time you stopped you were so far beyond the balance point that the deck slammed down hard. I would put the jack stand down so that my truck didn't take the brunt of the force. Loading an auto transmission machine on these trailers is WAY easier. They are definitely purpose-built, and the open channel is nice for oil changes, etc. if you don't have a shop/lift.
Jon,

That's interesting about the cylinder's performance on your old trailer. I would have assumed the cylinder would have let the tilt system function somewhat gently. I can tell you with an automatic transmission and no cylinder, it is essentially a delicate balancing game, but there's nothing delicate about the way the deck slams down one way or the other. I tried to get some help from Maxey on obtaining a cylinder, but despite their assurances they could help, in the end they... didn't.