• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1978 Tucker 1642 For Sale

I've listed my 1642 Tucker for sale. Here's a link to the Craigslist posting:

http://rockies.craigslist.org/sno/4265335699.html

I'm asking 15k or best offer

If anybody is interested I can be reached at (970) 477-0241 in the evenings

I'll be happy to supply more pictures and any information wanted. I also have a buyer for my '63 443A. I'm not getting out of the Tucker hobby, just looking to move onto another project!

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• DSC07625.jpg
    DSC07625.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,168
  • DSC07631.jpg
    DSC07631.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,070

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Mark,

That's a nice looking machine! I've seen the video several times just searching for Sno Cat videos on you tube. From having seen the video and then looking at the craigslist ad I was very surprised that your Tucker had 3100 hours. It looks like it was well taken care of... unlike so many others.

I'm a bit perplexed though. In the video it seems like there's a fair amount of noise which I would have attributed to the sounds of grousers and the plastic hyfax supporting the track on either side of the drive sprockets. Here's a link to another video of a different Tucker making similar sounds: http://cabinatalta.com/Movie page.html

On the second photo on your craigslist ad it shows a top view of track belting and grousers. Looking closely you can make out the plastic hyfax underneath the grousers. However the very next photo (left rear carrier?) shows what I'll call a non-Tucker damper wheel modification. The seventh photo (a side view of the right front carrier) also shows this modification.

Have some carriers been modified with damper wheels and others still have the hyfax setup? Or perhaps some photos (and the video) are older - taken before the mod.?

Very, very nice looking machine. Your rack looks like a great design and beautifully executed. Good Luck with the sale!

Thanks for the comments Blackfoot.

My Tuckers have been a labor of love and I pride myself on their appearance, they've become quite famous here in Red Cliff.

I got rid of the hyfax for two reasons - grouser back wear and noise. I did a non Tucker Damper modification on three of the carriers. One of the carriers has Tucker dampers. The noise is from some of the "dampers" being a harder polyurethane coated industrial caster made by Hamilton shown in the first picture and are pretty darn noisy- the clack clack on the video.

I went with a rubber coated Hamilton caster wheel for the rest and they worked out well, much quieter - the second and third pic show the the rubber coated casters as I welded them in place.

If the cat doesn't sell I'll probably continue to change out my design to Tucker Dampers as they wear down, although I'm happy with how mine are working out so far.

By the way - I believe one of your former cats is down the road from me at Weston Snowboards in Minturn, CO. A 1642 modified into a 1643. Barry takes her out quite often and it's running great!

Mark

Attachments

• 5VJ61_AS01.jpg
    5VJ61_AS01.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 867
  • Caster Mod 1.jpg
    Caster Mod 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 928
  • Caster Mod 2.jpg
    Caster Mod 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 904

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Mark,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, as well as a report on the Tucker we re-cabbed, and especially the photo (we took a bunch during its construction, but that is by far the best one).

I think your damper wheels are a very cost-effective solution. The factory Tucker parts aren't cheap... and add up fast. Just like the Tucker rubber idler (bogie) wheels, the damper wheels tend to "chunk". With three per carrier on a 1600 series machine that's 12 wheels, and the last time I bought some they were $160.00 each. Then you add the spindles, the spindle tubes, the steel housings for the spindle tubes, bearings, seals, castle nuts, etc and I think you'd be well over $3K, and probably pushing $4K.

If you want to sell that gorgeous machine I humbly suggest you consider listing it on ksl.com. There are usually several snow cats listed (typically in the "snowmobiles, used" section). I know WakeUpCall listed his 1542 and the listing is gone. (I don't know if he sold it or if he pulled the listing.)

Here's a link to another Tucker listed currently on ksl.com:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=25028312&cat=&lpid=&search="tucker"&ad_cid=5

Despite the glowing description when you look at the photos of the grousers they look "less than optimal" and it's a short track machine vs your long track. In any comparison I think your Tucker wins by a wide margin.

Thank again for the comments and advice Blackfoot. I was nervous as all get out when I cut off the hyfax's at first. But now I'd do it all over again if I acquire another cat of the same vintage.