• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

We are both 63 , , , thinking of selling our touring motorcycles

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I turned 63 in October and have been plagued with severe injuries over the past 18 months. The lovely Mrs_Bob turns 63 later this month, she did not even ride her motorcycle one time in 2023 and rode it minimally in 2022. I rode a lot in 2022. Literally 2 or 3 times in late winter/early spring 2022.

Given that she literally LOST HER SIGHT IN ONE EYE and recently had eye surgery and depth perception problems, but the doctor said OVER TIME she should regain her ability to see to at least 85% of her prior vision. And given that I have had multiple muscle tears, injuries, and now a surgery last month, maybe it is time to ditch the bikes and settle for travel in a convertible?

Honestly I love riding, but I'm not really sure, given the foot issues which may take MONTHS to fully heal, and, yet another, recently torn biceps muscle, that I am fit to ride.

We had hopes of riding Route 66 to Santa Monica Pier in southern California. The lovely Mrs_Bob's brother lives along the route, we'd visit him. And take a side trip to the Grand Canyon. All on bike, averaging less than 200 miles a day, just to make sure we could stop off at all the sights. It would be 25-ish days to make the route. Return trip likely faster.

But our Dasha is graduating in May from Notre Dame. We plan to take her to her new home in San Francisco, with her belongings, in the pick up truck. Figure we can drive Route 66 to Southern California, pick up the Pacific Coast Highway and run up the S.F. to drop her off in the city of human fecal matter and she can start her career at Apple (computer science job offered by Apple & 6 figure job contract signed and accepted). Not quite the fastest route to get to S.F. but probably the most scenic and historic. And it would be in a pickup instead of on 2 wheel freedom machines, which, given our physical issues are "iffy" . . .

So do we need, or even realistically (heath issues considered) really have the use for the motorcycles anymore?

I hate the idea of selling my freedom machine, but I honestly felt healthy enough to ride for about 6 weeks in 2023, and that was late fall/early winter when it was too darn cold to ride! Not that 63 is too old to ride, but I've not ridden in almost a year, and the lovely Mrs_Bob in closer to 2 years. So maybe just sell and be done with the folly of having wind in my thinning + receding hair line? We still have 1 convertible, that should suffice for our old age adventures?

Am I missing something or just dealing with reality? Maybe old age sucks?
IMG_0148.jpeg

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am76 and I would do it.

What is the worst that could happen.?

If you need to drive a truck out to Sand Fran, then rent one with a trailer. When you get there, turn it in and drive the bikes home.

The secret to a long happy life is to go for it. Or die trying.

You guys are bikers. Enjoy.

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Hard decision to put the helmets away. After my accident in 2015, I was determined to rebuild my bike and get it on the road again but after spending most of that winter in the garage tearing it down to the frame and engine then picking up a parts bike and basically morphing two bikes back into one good one, I was about 95% done reassembly when I realized that my back will never allow me to ride more than a few blocks and there's no guarantees that my legs wouldn't give out at a stop light. So I stopped all work on the goldwing and wheeled it out behind my shop where it's been sitting 4 years.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I gave my RoadKing to one of my kids a couple Christmas's back because it just sit most of the time. Interests change over time and now we have 4 spoke motorcycles ( horses ), and go to the mountains instead of the river.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
63 here as well. I have a KZ 1100D Kawasaki that I used to ride locally only, and only when the temperature and work
have me soaking with sweat for the most part. Great way to dry oneself off btw. Never like to have any traffic close behind me.
Over the years I had 3 people I knew personally two were killed and the other severely injured while riding. I was thinking about this one day and did some math to find at 60MPH you're going approximately 88 FPS. A little over 70MPH gets you to 100fps.
The pavement is a bit like a grinding wheel in many ways.
I concluded the risk rewards of this line of thinking has the bike in the far corner of the garage gathering dust. Probably should sell it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Although I came close I never had a serious accident on any of my bikes.

Maybe the big chain looped over my hand bars kept fools away but my worst injury came when, whilst riding my BIL's big 750 Kawa, I put my foot down at a stop sign, mis figured the weight and fell over.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
In my riding career, I was lightly struck by cars twice in my younger years in Southern Ca.
Once a guy partly ran a red light saw/heard me at the last second, a combination of him slamming on the brakes and me swerving to the left only ticked the exhaust pipe, which he promptly paid for on the spot. I don't know which one of us was more scared, he was crying when I approached him.

One other time a elderly woman turned right from the left lane into a shopping mall, she was leading me about a car length when she turned In front of me , and we went into the parking lot together with me against her car. Amazingly didn't go down or find any damage on the bike. She to was very upset.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I did have a couple of incidents that were not accident but purposeful acts by car drivers.

Back in the 1980's I worked downtown St Louis and came home via Highway 40 now known as I-64. It was two lane and that compressed to one lane to cross the MO river. So every rush hour took 45 minutes to do a mile on the Boon bridge Bottoms. In summer heat that meant the air-cooled bike would over heat. So I would pick a car and drive ahead 20 cars or so and then wait for the chosen car to show up. I would repeat this as often as needed. One time a guy swung his passenger door in front of me. Yes, I did hit it but no damage to my bike's front wheel.

His door was another matter, as I intentional hit it several times. Then somehow his windshield exploded after my towing chain hit it.

He stopped the car and got out mad as hell. I just stood there glaring at him as I wrapped the chain around my right hand.
A few cusswords and, I swear the smell poop, he got back in his vehicle. I continued my tactic until I reached the bridge.

Instead of letting me in from the shoulder he gunned it and pulled ahead. However, the guy behind him waved me over with a big smile.
As he passed me later his pickup had a "Watch For Bikers" sticker on the rear window. :yum: (y)

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
When I was 17, I was slowing on on a 2 lane straight stretch of highway with my signal light on riding a honda nighthawk 450 to make a left hand turn just past a bridge There were two transports behind me. The one behind me started slowing when the second one in line pulled out to pass as this was the first straight stretch of hwy in 10km. The one passing slammed on the brakes and turned sharp left into the road I was turning into but clipped my handlebar with his headlight. So picture this. One transport going straight. One turning left at highway speeds with me sliding along the ground still holding onto the bike as I slid about 50 ft in between the trailers. I still remember that trailer tire barely missing me as I looked up.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was 17, I was slowing on on a 2 lane straight stretch of highway with my signal light on riding a honda nighthawk 450 to make a left hand turn just past a bridge There were two transports behind me. The one behind me started slowing when the second one in line pulled out to pass as this was the first straight stretch of hwy in 10km. The one passing slammed on the brakes and turned sharp left into the road I was turning into but clipped my handlebar with his headlight. So picture this. One transport going straight. One turning left at highway speeds with me sliding along the ground still holding onto the bike as I slid about 50 ft in between the trailers. I still remember that trailer tire barely missing me as I looked up.
Wow!

So how did the bike do?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow!

So how did the bike do?

Actually, dad and I had it on the road a week later. Busted two signal lights, windshield and bent the handlebars down. (Which confused the hell outta me as when the bike stopped, I was still holding onto the handlebars. The left side was bent down.) I only had a scratch on my hand and a dislocated shoulder. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. And a backpack. The strap on the backpack wore right through.

We just put a long pipe on the end of the handlebars and bent them back then replaced the signals.