• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Security Camera Solutions?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an Arlo system. I got it 8 years ago and it has worked well up to now. I have had to replace the base station unit 2 times. And now it appears to be out again. So I believe I need a new solution for a security camera system that can work over WiFi and I can get notices and view on my phone.

Arlo did all this when it worked. Looking at Amazon I see a WyzeCam camera offering that is a whole lot cheaper than Arlo. but it requires signing up for their cloud storage. I think that would allow me to get notices and view the camera from my cell phone. The description is not clear and I hate to assume.

Wondering what you guys and gals are using for inside and outside security cameras?

J5 Bombardier

We went to Geeni cams after our old style base model died again, (can't remember the brand). For the basic service there is no charge from Geeni ,( so far). Phone notifications ,alerts ,recording ,works for me ,the outside units eventually die from years of weather ,inside ones no problem.
J5 Bombardier

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does the Geeni brand have a spotlight and mic with speaker?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom has been buying these for our other properties.
She's been happy with them.
They do have light & mic.
They only connect to 2.4G wireless so make sure you have that.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks BC. Looks good but I'm not sure my 2.4g wifi reaches everywhere I wanted these. hmmm network extender maybe. Worth checking into.

J5 Bombardier

Does the Geeni brand have a spotlight and mic with speaker?
Outside units I have don't ,inside ones have audio . Not sure how clear the speaker is ,but it allowed me to torment my Shepherd from 2000 miles away last trip we were on.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw some outside ones with speakers and mic that are set off by sound or by motion. I thought that interesting.

chowderman

I would be veddy suspect of anything that works only on 2.4 wireless. that is last year's/century's technology.
as all this wireless stuff takes over, the criminals will be more and more quipped to disable/blind it.
as of even today there are numerous devices marketed to accomplish that task . . .

one technology that is semi-more tamper resistant is transmitting 'wifi' over installed electrical wiring.
the base station must receive only 'from the wire' and must connect to the router/internet via wired connection.
presuming the router is wired to the modem, is wired to the internet . . .
,,, any wireless link between the camera lens and 'the cloud' is easily defeated.

the Mission Impossible stuff of looping a fake image 'to the system' is not fiction. but in the home scenario, simply disrupting/blocking/garbaling the camera feed is more than sufficient. as a 'user' off on vacation from the 'home' you will not be able to distinguish between a real break in and simple 'wireless interference'

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be veddy suspect of anything that works only on 2.4 wireless. that is last year's/century's technology.
In a "reasonable" price range, pretty much everything I've seen is either 2.4Gh wireless or 4gLTE. I don't get 4gLTE where I live so I don't have many choices.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Arlo was more expensive and worked with a base wired to my modem with cat 5. New arlo is eliminating the base, which is probably good with the issues I've had with mine. Replaced it twice and would have to do it again to make the system work.

Criminals that can go so far as to put a loop in are going to get whatever they want anyway. I'm more after knowing when I have movement outside or inside when we are out of town. If truly sophisticated criminals came after my stuff they'd get it. But I can't imagine they'd want anything I have in my house.

Personal safety when we are in the house is covered by an alarm system that lets us know when a door or window is open. The camera would be a 2nd source of info. And our driveway monitor a third.

Smilingreen

I do POE+ network cameras. No electrical outlet needed, just need a switch with POE+ ports built into it, which supplies the power for the camera. I have a dedicated small PC that runs the NVR software. I only record on trigger events.
Be careful, once you get bit by the IP camera bug, you just can't quit. You need more cameras with more features.......