• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

getting started with chickens and cows

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_4072.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So with a famine looming, we decided to raise chickens and Dexter cattle to hedge the bet. Its a lot more work and expense than I thought but I'm committed now.
I bought a snap lock chicken coop for up to 8 chickens and a 10'X20' enclosure that comes with chicken wire. The chicken wire is not going to be sufficient for predators around here. coyote, bob cat, raccoon, owls, hawks and an occasional cougar. Went to Home Depot and bought enough heavy gauge small square welded wire fencing to do the whole enclosure plus an apron on the ground 4 feet wide so they can't dig under. So far I'm into it more than 2k and don't have the chickens yet, WTF.
Last Saturday I bought a livestock trailer, after I'm done building the chicken stuff I have to fence off and build a lean too for the Dexters.
Dexters are about 1/2 size of normal cows and have a docile temperament, they give about 1/2-1-1/2 gallons of milk per day and the meat is very good. they thrive on grass and low budget hay. I think I will a get electric fence system that I can move around for grazing the property, I'm on 6.5 acres and think 2-3 cows and a pony will fit well, the pony is for the granddaughter. The plan will be to buy a heifer that is pregnant so I can have a calf in the spring and I can gain experience. The next year add a bull and sell the calf after its raised up. Then every year raise a calf to sell. in the event that you can't find meat, quit selling them. A dexter will give around 350# of meat and thats enough for a year. Anyone with experience and advice??

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It seems that you have yourself a plan.

We never raised Dexters but I've talked to a few people who have had some on their hobby farms. They all say that they are docile and fairly easily handled but only if they are well socialized.

Who is going to do the slaughtering and butchering for you?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are really worried about predators and your property is big enough - get some livestock guardian dogs. Get them after you get the chickens and cows, while they are puppies so they learn who is in their family.

I'm a big fan of my Anatolian Shepherd. She lives to guard and protect. I almost never see a Raccoon, Possum, or any sort of predator on my property. If she hasn't killed them then she chases them away almost instantly. She is also super low maintenance - she loves being outside in almost all weather - except heavy rain.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I did the chicken thing for about 10 years. It is a lot of work - they make a big mess of their coop and it will be a constant project keeping it clean. Cattle is work too.

I grew up in a farming community and have worked or helped out on just about every type of livestock farm. There is a lot of drudgery to taking care of animals. If I was to do it all again, I would just fence in as much of my property as possible and get some goats or Barbados Blackbelly sheep (with the livestock guardian dog). You can get decent hardy meat goats that will keep you in food with the minimal amount of day to day work. Easy to slaughter too.

I'm not that old but I just got tired of the chores - especially when the weather is bad. Something to consider before you go too far down the road.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It seems that you have yourself a plan.

We never raised Dexters but I've talked to a few people who have had some on their hobby farms. They all say that they are docile and fairly easily handled but only if they are well socialized.

Who is going to do the slaughtering and butchering for you?
Haven't got that far, but if I have to start eating them, likely it will be me.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
If you are really worried about predators and your property is big enough - get some livestock guardian dogs. Get them after you get the chickens and cows, while they are puppies so they learn who is in their family.

I'm a big fan of my Anatolian Shepherd. She lives to guard and protect. I almost never see a Raccoon, Possum, or any sort of predator on my property. If she hasn't killed them then she chases them away almost instantly. She is also super low maintenance - she loves being outside in almost all weather - except heavy rain.
Most all my neighbors have some type of farm animal, horse, goat, cows and chickens. They all get hit at some time or other. The larger animals like cows and horses don't get bothered, Dexters still go between 800# and 1000# the coyotes aint that brave around here plus I would hear the racket and fix the problem. Likely the chickens are the soft targets and will get the most protection. One of the reasons I decided on cows instead of goats is the coyotes.

I think it is very good idea to have the start up of live stock such cows and chicken , it is very good business specially for the people of country side ..

Gary O'

The female coyotes here are given to calling out male dogs
Then the male yotes do them in
Or
If the dogs are aggressive enough, they are accepted into the clan
Either way, never to return.... as a pet

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So with a famine looming, we decided to raise chickens and Dexter cattle to hedge the bet. Its a lot more work and expense than I thought but I'm committed now.
I bought a snap lock chicken coop for up to 8 chickens and a 10'X20' enclosure that comes with chicken wire. The chicken wire is not going to be sufficient for predators around here. coyote, bob cat, raccoon, owls, hawks and an occasional cougar. Went to Home Depot and bought enough heavy gauge small square welded wire fencing to do the whole enclosure plus an apron on the ground 4 feet wide so they can't dig under. So far I'm into it more than 2k and don't have the chickens yet, WTF.
Last Saturday I bought a livestock trailer, after I'm done building the chicken stuff I have to fence off and build a lean too for the Dexters.
Dexters are about 1/2 size of normal cows and have a docile temperament, they give about 1/2-1-1/2 gallons of milk per day and the meat is very good. they thrive on grass and low budget hay. I think I will a get electric fence system that I can move around for grazing the property, I'm on 6.5 acres and think 2-3 cows and a pony will fit well, the pony is for the granddaughter. The plan will be to buy a heifer that is pregnant so I can have a calf in the spring and I can gain experience. The next year add a bull and sell the calf after its raised up. Then every year raise a calf to sell. in the event that you can't find meat, quit selling them. A dexter will give around 350# of meat and thats enough for a year. Anyone with experience and advice??
My Hippie ridge neighbor has done well with Dexters. Generally easy for which to care. They eat just about anything so if you pasture is weak on grass they will still do well. Supplement grain and Hay.

They can also be used as draft animals.

He runs 15 or so of them on about 30 Acres of pasture.

He sold all of them off last spring so when he goes to the stockyards to get more, we plan to buy at least two to add to the herd. I have 6 acres of pasture in the main yard and some meadow. Plus, a quarter mile clearing 20 feet wide that goes down to my spring fed creek. All good grass. So, he has often let his on my place. They don't stray far.

Some of my fencing needs work. And a front gate would be a good idea. So would a chicken coup for about 12 to 16 hens.

Winter stuff.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
My Hippie ridge neighbor has done well with Dexters. Generally easy for which to care. They eat just about anything so if you pasture is weak on grass they will still do well. Supplement grain and Hay.

They can also be used as draft animals.

He runs 15 or so of them on about 30 Acres of pasture.

He sold all of them off last spring so when he goes to the stockyards to get more, we plan to buy at least two to add to the herd. I have 6 acres of pasture in the main yard and some meadow. Plus, a quarter mile clearing 20 feet wide that goes down to my spring fed creek. All good grass. So, he has often let his on my place. They don't stray far.

Some of my fencing needs work. And a front gate would be a good idea. So would a chicken coup for about 12 to 16 hens.

Winter stuff.
We finally got the chicken coop run finished to keep out predators around here and the chickens will be old enough to stay outside in a couple weeks, we haven't got the dexters yet, I got bogged down building pasture fencing and a lean to shed. We did get a pony and a quarter horse. The Dexters should come soon. Like I need more things to do. But whatever I will be retired soon.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We finally got the chicken coop run finished to keep out predators around here and the chickens will be old enough to stay outside in a couple weeks, we haven't got the dexters yet, I got bogged down building pasture fencing and a lean to shed. We did get a pony and a quarter horse. The Dexters should come soon. Like I need more things to do. But whatever I will be retired soon.
Get some New Guinea birds
They are larger and meaner than most chicken breeds and tend to fend off Coyotes.

They don't mix easily with standard hens but will if properly introduced.

Related to Turkeys, they are larger, edible and have good eggs.

Need far less protection and care. Good for flea and tick control.

Their only real enemy are snakes but, at your altitude that threat is unlikely.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
in Valley springs we are only 800' or so there are plenty of rattle snakes around here. The work cabin is 6000' right at the cutoff of how high they go. We got EasterEggers. Suppose to be good in the heat as its a 100 here from July to the end of August. The wife likes the multi colored eggs too.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got to admit that I am watching this. No desire for cows. I could probably have a few on the property but I don't want the work.

We have lots of local egg sources around us, so I'm content to just keep buying them but the lovely Mrs_Bob has been clucking around for a chicken coup. I've got a great spot for one, I just don't want to be the one who cares for the birds. Not what I want to do for my next career! But somehow it might happen?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Got to admit that I am watching this. No desire for cows. I could probably have a few on the property but I don't want the work.

We have lots of local egg sources around us, so I'm content to just keep buying them but the lovely Mrs_Bob has been clucking around for a chicken coup. I've got a great spot for one, I just don't want to be the one who cares for the birds. Not what I want to do for my next career! But somehow it might happen?
I gotta tell you, buying/building the coop and run is expensive and a bunch of work unless you don't mind feeding the wildlife. But its done now and you only have to do it once.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

Wife wants it, it will happen. And you will do the work too.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I actually thought you were talking about the Work Cabin.
Hippie ridge is at 1,350 feet.

We have snakes including copperheads.

I saw several when we first bought the place. I killed a couple. One in a legendary battle with my 357 and ending with use of a shovel. Yes, I'm, apparently, that bad of a shot.

Most of the snakes there are benevolent.

However, they can still rob the nests of eggs.

I dug out two double slab glass doors I bought on clearance 12 years ago. Contractor returns, I paid pennies on the dollar. Pre-hung and ready to go. I moved them by myself back then. I can barely pick them up now. This could get interesting.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I actually thought you were talking about the Work Cabin.
Hippie ridge is at 1,350 feet.

We have snakes including copperheads.

I saw several when we first bought the place. I killed a couple. One in a legendary battle with my 357 and ending with use of a shovel. Yes, I'm, apparently, that bad of a shot.

Most of the snakes there are benevolent.

However, they can still rob the nests of eggs.

I dug out two double slab glass doors I bought on clearance 12 years ago. Contractor returns, I paid pennies on the dollar. Pre-hung and ready to go. I moved them by myself back then. I can barely pick them up now. This could get interesting.
The work cabin is a little too far away to feed and keep an eye on chickens. Im on 6-1/2 acres here in valley springs. Im headed to the cabin Thursday and likely be the last trip before the snow flies. I want to get rid of the old roof this trip, Play with the D7 Cat and do little shooting.