• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DIY Parts Help Requested

WillieFan

Hi, I am looking for some opinions. I have a Cushman Trackster, and need to replace the torsion springs that are used for the suspension. (See pic 1) However, they are about $200 each, and I need four. So what I would like to do is modify it to take a coil over shock system. I am thinking that if I could find some durable, pretty stiff, shocks that are about 6"-8", I could do it. See pic 2, the squiggly lines are kind of what I was thinking. It would involve some welding. The top set of lines is a supposed to represent a bar or piece of metal that I would weld across the top to support the shocks. What do you think? Could I even find shocks like that? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
EDIT: The machine weighs about 1,000 pounds, and most of that weight is up front, so they really need to be stiff.

Attachments

• pic #1.jpg
    pic #1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 21
  • pic #2.jpg
    pic #2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

WillieFan

Actually, I was thinking, and there is not near 1,000 pounds on the front wheels. BECAUSE, there are other wheels, as seen in this picture. I am not sure how much weight the front wheels hold. It weighs 1040 pounds, all the mechanical components are up front, and that all is supported by the wheels you see there. So, I don't know. Guesses? They have fiberglass bodies. I will need four shock assemblies, 2 on each side.
BTW, that is not my machine. Wish it was! It is the last NOS Trackster left on earth. It was made in 1974, and has never been started.

Attachments

• trackster wheels.jpg
    trackster wheels.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 9

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are a few thread where people put single large tires on the front of their snow cats. those cats where snow trac st4 but their work was similar in nature. User name snow tracinnome was his user name. If memory serves me correct he located a torsion axle all the way accross and fiddled a bit to get it right He runs the iditarod trail and it held up well.

WillieFan

There are a few thread where people put single large tires on the front of their snow cats. those cats where snow trac st4 but their work was similar in nature. User name snow tracinnome was his user name. If memory serves me correct he located a torsion axle all the way across and fiddled a bit to get it right He runs the iditarod trail and it held up well.
I never thought of that. Thanks! I will look into it, and will probably end up doing that if this doesn't work.