• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier SW-48 wheels

meanjean

Have any of you Bombardier J5 or sw-48 owners ever had a wheel apart? I am looking at replacing the rubber wheel, which has several deep cracks in it, and wondering if all is involved is unscrewing the nuts on the outside of the tin dish that sandwiches the rubber wheel together to access the wheel to remove it? Any idea(s)? Let me know. Tanks!!!!!

benz9

MeanJean,
I've never taken one apart, but have seen them at the bone yard. The guys call them "plates" or "assiette" en francais. My only concern would be the reallignement of the hub, maybe mark your #1 hole on both plates before taking them apart and make sure when you reinstall to put your first bolt back in the same hole. You may need new bolts (I know I will if ever I have to change a solid tire). I've included the parts page from the J5 manual to show you the exploded view...
I've taken mine out 3 times already for snow clearing. Having a small issue with the cooling system, but other than that, it runs fine! Hope yours is running also!

Attachments

• sw48-wheel.jpg
    sw48-wheel.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 298

meanjean

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I really appreciate your attachment. Looks like a couple of plates, or assiettes, as you say, bolted together with spacers between them. I do have solid tires, so the lower diagram applies. I may try to get one off before I bring the machine back home. I brought it to work a couple of weeks ago to weld a new lower strip of tin for the windshield which was pretty rotted out, and to repaint it also. New glass seals to be installed this coming week by a glass shop, and I had a local graphics shop make a few vinyl decals to replace the ones that were missing (all of them). So it is starting to look like a pretty cool machine! But I may try to remove the cracked up solid wheel before bringing it back home though. Thanks for the post Benz!