• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bathroom remodel thread . . . shoot me now

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob has announced that she would like the master bathroom remodeled.

I'm NOT quite done with the stained glass windows (Trim needs varnish and windows need caulk for vapor seal). NOT quite done with the library wall (need carpet, paint, baseboards, etc).

So with 2 active project nearing completion, apparently we are starting a 3rd project. Fortunately the master bathroom is fairly small, roughly 8 by 14 feet. Not moving any plumbing, so that is good. But she wants all the marble flooring, porcelain tile, cabinets, countertops, plumbing & lighting fixtures replaced with new.

If there is anyone within driving range of rural Lowell, please come and just end my misery. Preferably a large caliber, make it quick.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob has announced that she would like the master bathroom remodeled.

I'm NOT quite done with the stained glass windows (Trim needs varnish and windows need caulk for vapor seal). NOT quite done with the library wall (need carpet, paint, baseboards, etc).

So with 2 active project nearing completion, apparently we are starting a 3rd project. Fortunately the master bathroom is fairly small, roughly 8 by 14 feet. Not moving any plumbing, so that is good. But she wants all the marble flooring, porcelain tile, cabinets, countertops, plumbing & lighting fixtures replaced with new.

If there is anyone within driving range of rural Lowell, please come and just end my misery. Preferably a large caliber, make it quick.
I have the same treatment coming in a couple years, for now I'm using the I'm busy with work excuse.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the same treatment coming in a couple years, for now I'm using the I'm busy with work excuse.
Retired so I don't have that excuse. She schedules my life around my fencing schedule. I think I need to give more lessons, maybe work with another school, possibly start a 2nd club, maybe even travel to more out of state events? All would be more restful.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Retired so I don't have that excuse. She schedules my life around my fencing schedule. I think I need to give more lessons, maybe work with another school, possibly start a 2nd club, maybe even travel to more out of state events? All would be more restful.
The Lovely Mrs Bob has spoken.
She is lovely and the best you could have soooo..;
I would suggest, you get to work.

Besides, you do good stuff. I cannot wait to see your results.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
After surviving a complete down to the studs relocation of plumbing etc master bath renovation last year and jumping into a full kitchen reno this year, I feel your pain.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure if it could work for you but what I did was flip the script.

Find something else she might like done and tell her you think it too should be done. Obviously, pick something you don't mind doing.

Tell her you'll do that in conjunction with the bathroom remodel but emphasis that something like doing tile and marble requires a skill set that you feel would best be done by a professional. Also state that it would take you twice as long to do it compared to a professional and that it wouldn't be right for her to be out of the master bath for such a long time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . but emphasis that something like doing tile and marble requires a skill set that you feel would best be done by a professional. Also state that it would take you twice as long to do it compared to a professional and that it wouldn't be right for her to be out of the master bath for such a long time.
I actually have that special skill set. Pretty darn good at tile work. Not just walls and floors but designs, curves and wood inlay too.

Did this fireplace and bathroom

IMG_0230.jpeg72159266143__1712C4E3-AEEF-4C35-8FE7-BAC8CB3C298C.jpeg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, that won't work.
How about the thought of starting another project she wants done. For Mrs. Zoom, re-doing closet shelving and organization always lights her eyes up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, that won't work.
How about the thought of starting another project she wants done. For Mrs. Zoom, re-doing closet shelving and organization always lights her eyes up.
I don't want to do 2 projects!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, the lovely Mrs_Bob found a couple (new to us) stained glass windows. Apparently you can find anything on Facebook Marketplace? Those now reside in my workshop. They will be inset into a set of wall cabinets that will occupy our master bath. The new cabinets for the master bath are on order from Thomasville. Cherrywood cabinets. Suitable door and drawer style for the rest of our house.

I'm going to have to start buying and staining a lot of trim wood. We don't have tile picked out yet. We settled on some faucets, but not yet on the finish. And she picked out new door knobs for the whole house too.

It has been deemed, and will ultimately be obeyed, that these door knobs will be replacing the original levels we have installed all around our home.

But before the knobs go onto the doors, these windows will be removed from their frames. 2 of the incoming doors for the new wall cabinets will be taken apart, the backside panel edges routed out, and the glass set into place. It seems simple enough. I've never done it, but I have the routers and bits to do the job.
Worst thing that can happen is I destroy 2 perfectly good cabinet doors and have to buy them again! :bonk:

IMG_0232.jpeg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Better you than me. Lol. After a full ensuite taking 3 months and now into month 8 of a kitchen renovation, I would rather pluck whiskers from a sleeping grizzly than go through another major gutt and reno.

chowderman

are you going to physically separate the stile/rails on the new doors?

I've routed "finished" frames for inserts - it's not hard - but a large router table is needed so the entire door is supported on a flat surface.
use mechanical block/stops to control the length of the rabbit.

I used a carbide half-inch bit - and a SHARP chisel to clean up the corners to 90 degrees . . .
pick a day when your patience is on a high (g!)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My best thoughts for @Melensdad

120045-1700599139755.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just to keep this updated, I posted some of this in the "doing today" thread.

The new bathroom cabinets arrived. They are unloaded into one of my garage bays. 8 boxes. Thomasville, cherry wood (plywood and solid cherry) cabinets, drawers, sink bases, etc. Arrived much faster than expected given they are part of one of their semi-custom collections and one of the base cabinets is custom depth.

Probably not going to even get started on this until late January? February? I have foot surgery in 10 days and will be in a 'boot' for 6+ weeks. We are going to use Delta "Dryden" faucets for both sinks and the double shower.

I have some nice tile samples that I really like, not that that matters. They were vetoed by the lovely Mrs_Bob. So the search continues. Tile may take longer than everything else?

Going to have to find a new toilet too, our current toilet is silver colored, but the new bathroom will be brown or green tones, so the toilet is going to be changed. White or Ivory? If we want to be historically accurate it should be white because that is all that was available in the early 1900's when the house was designed. But my guess is the lovely Mrs_Bob will veto white and opt for an Ivory color... and I will not object, I'd actually prefer and hope she goes with an ivory toilet and matching sinks. But all that, I suppose, will depend upon the tile color?

Countertop? I dunno. Quartz? Granite? Not sure. We have Quartz in the kitchen and the mudroom. 2nd upstairs bathroom and the pool house both have granite. Honestly my favorite is the granite in the 2nd upstairs bathroom, it is beautiful. I'd love to find another couple pieces like we used in there.

chowderman

hijack alert!!!

speaking of faucets, stayed at a hotel with these - really neat and really functional - and I've not been able to track down the maker/model. any leads?

IMG_1852.JPG

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No clue on that particular model but the local box stores (Lowes, Home Depot and Menards) have multiple choices and brands of 'waterfall' faucets for sale. Seems to be a design trend gaining popularity over the past few years.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably not going to even get started on this until late January? February? I have foot surgery in 10 days and will be in a 'boot' for 6+ weeks.

Meh....excuses. 🤣 Let's see some progress. I'm sure Ms Melensdad would appreciate all the hard work you put into it even with a "boot" on. You don't lay tile or install cabinets with your feet? Do you?

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I actually have that special skill set. Pretty darn good at tile work. Not just walls and floors but designs, curves and wood inlay too.

Did this fireplace and bathroom

View attachment 170618View attachment 170619
Your first mistake was not puting the toilet paper in the other side of the wall in the shower, that would have stopped any other tile johs in that track:giggle:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the special door knobs arrived.

Octagon. Of course if I only replaced the bathroom door latch with a new octagon knob I would be in trouble. So there is now an entire case of assorted passage and privacy octagon shaped door knobs. See post 15 for the style, or look at the photo below from an actual Frank Lloyd Wright house we visited. Our new knobs are not an exact match but they are very close.

Pretty sure we settled on the tile for the shower. It is similar to the tile on the fireplace I posted earlier in the thread. A green with rustic finish on the edges but sharp structural lines. Not so sure about the flooring choices.

IMG_9908.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the special door knobs arrived.

Octagon. Of course if I only replaced the bathroom door latch with a new octagon knob I would be in trouble. So there is now an entire case of assorted passage and privacy octagon shaped door knobs. See post 15 for the style, or look at the photo below from an actual Frank Lloyd Wright house we visited. Our new knobs are not an exact match but they are very close.

Pretty sure we settled on the tile for the shower. It is similar to the tile on the fireplace I posted earlier in the thread. A green with rustic finish on the edges but sharp structural lines. Not so sure about the flooring choices.

View attachment 172154
If this is the bath room you are remodeling, where are you putting the shower?
I will tell you my former bathroom off the master bedroom was this size with a shower. So I know it will fit. However, it was awful to use.

So, I made it much like what you see here and plan to put an addition to the house for a large (4'X8") shower stall outside the original structure. About where the window no resides. Assuming, of course, I can get permits to do so.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If this is the bath room you are remodeling, where are you putting the shower?
No that is an original FLLW house bathroom, the picture shows the door knob we are trying to match.

dendori

I've been knee-deep in a bathroom remodel for a week now, and hiring someone to do it was a very good decision. My bathroom measures about 8 feet by 10 feet, so it's not massive, but it's still a decent enough size to make you question your DIY skills.
We're planning to repaint the walls and cabinets, replace the outdated fixtures with something more modern, and maybe even attempt some minor tiling. It's a bit of a headache right now, but I know it'll all be worth it in the end.
We live in Lafayette, LA, Overall, we think it will cost us about $8000.

Edit by mod: Link not allowed. Removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our project has THANKFULLY been stalled.
We have the new cabinets, they are stored in my workshop.
We have some stained glass, also stored in my workshop, that will be cut into one of the cabinet doors.
We have the faucets. We have found and matched up door knobs.
Blah blah blah

At this point the project is the bottom of the priority pile.

Melen has kept me busy on her condo remodel, always with 'little' bits and projects. And yard work will begin.

So the bathroom is saved for another day :thumbup: