• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac ST4 for sale (Indiana) ~~SOLD~~

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm putting my Snow Trac up for sale.

$9000 will take it away.

Located about an hour drive southeast of Chicago in Northwest Indiana.

Sorry, I don't have a trailer so I can't cart it to you, you have to pick it up or arrange to get it transported.

It runs well, starts easily. Front drive sprockets probably need to be replaced after a couple more seasons. I literally did not use it this year. Its sitting on the car lift and and has been there since I parked it there at the end of last season. A few of the bogie tires are flat, I presume they simply need to be aired up, but I do have both spare tires and spare tubes that come with the Snow Trac as part of the sale.

Headlights died sometime over the past year, I presume the fuse blew? Worked and then all of a sudden didn't. It was the end of the season and I didn't bother to check. The front facing auxillary lights (PIAA brand) work as do the side aux lights. Strobe works. Electric heater works. Dual battery set up with marine quality battery switch installed to control batteries. Plywood floor was sprayed inside with 2 part epoxy to water proof it and then covered with carpet. The whole underside of the unit was also sprayed with 2 part epoxy to protect the floor and the steel subframe.

This is same unit that was partially restored by the British TV Show "SALVAGE SQUAD" and featured in one of their episodes climbing a mountain in Scotland. I imported it many years ago, finished the restoration, but then have used it for quite a few seasons so its in very good, but not perfect condition. Always parked/stored in a climate controlled garage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4,365

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Snow Trac ST4 for sale (Indiana)

to score some reps from the krusty owners I have to ask does a full tank of gas come with it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Working on my wife to release the P.O.
Please standby...
Holding breath. Patiently.

to score some reps from the krusty owners I have to ask does a full tank of gas come with it.
Well when I parked it I put Sta-Bil in the tank. But I'd probably freshen it up a bit with some new gas.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

even the krusty owners post the year it was made.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

gee Bob mine is 10 years older than yours. and has a full tank of gas how ever in my first filmed trip with the discovery channel it blew out the oil cooler and dumped all the oil out of it. finely it made me walk home. you can bet they will show that footage, as the producer was on the sat phone trying to stir the pot with Vern. I have a new brazialian block to build going to anchorage on Friday so I will pick up a new crank muffler and oil cooler so I should have a new motor the first block I had still looks good the rod failure wasn't from lack of oil it was the same jurnal that lost the wrist pin so my guess is that the bering must have been hammered as the pin was going through the side of the sleeve. with the parts cache I picked up out of bethel I should have enough parts to build a second motor I even scored a set of new gene berg heads.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

did you put a 1600 engine in it ? The spare tires are the only parts your selling with it?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

Question, is the ST4 capable or suitable for pulling a grooming drag?
the question would be how big is it I have a home brew drag I pull behind mine it works well I have moved up to 8000 pounds behind mine in the right conditions but at that you are taxing it at about 110% of it's limits if your drag loaded tows about like 1500 pounds you should be ok

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

did you put a 1600 engine in it ? The spare tires are the only parts your selling with it?
I did not change the engine, it comes with the engine that was installed when I bought it. Not sure which one it is. I have some tires, rims, tubes. I have one of the original gas heaters in a box that looks like it could be put back together but I never tried. Probably a couple other odds and ends.

Question, is the ST4 capable or suitable for pulling a grooming drag?
I believe its rated at pulling about 1200 to 1500 pounds. Honestly I've never tried. DDS uses his and also answered. I'm not sure it would be a good trail groomer but they were used in the Olympics to groom ski hills, but that is a different type of drag.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

Bob If you look under the alternator bracket there is a serial number get me that number and I can tell you what size the motor should be be aware that if it is a 1600 by sn it could actualy be a larger displacement if some one changed out the jugs in the past. if the engine is the original 1500 ind. motor than horse power should be around 50hp. mine is now a 1776 motor but as a 1600 cc motor I had no problem towing around sleds up to 3500 pounds. the one problem with grooming with a snow trac with the full cab, is seeing the drag behind you as it will be in your blind spot so you can't see how much snow is building up in it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Well the only way to check right now would be to take it down off the car lift, but under that lift I've got a tractor and some other stuff parked and I'm packing up to fly to Spain for a the next 10 days so its not likely that I'm going out there, moving stuff out of the garage, lowering the car lift and then looking for the engine size. At least not for another 12 to 14 days.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Well the only way to check right now would be to take it down off the car lift, but under that lift I've got a tractor and some other stuff parked and I'm packing up to fly to Spain for a the next 10 days so its not likely that I'm going out there, moving stuff out of the garage, lowering the car lift and then looking for the engine size. At least not for another 12 to 14 days.

Make sure you leave the garage unlocked:whistling:and the security system off
And the dogs well fed. And the claymoores unarmed.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

yup,he just posted he'll be out of town. That's like inviting someone.
boggie what kind of deal can you make me on a new scout? I am looking for a recovery rig and will also be used for SAR. I liked the looks of that bully that was at the jamboree.
jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

You all forget, my sister-in-law lives in the guest apartment that I built over the top of the garage/workshop where the Snow Trac lives. Oh, and she has a dog too.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

We will just show her some of the posts you made about her and she would help lower it down. That tractor ought to sit out in the weather once in a while to wash the dust off it.:yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

is she authorized to sell it?

I'll authorizer her to take your money if you show up. But it will be up to you to figure out how to lower it down off the lift and get it fired up and moved out. :hammer:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Now that is sounding like a challenge. Im in. :cool:

(this is intended as humor)

Send photo of sister in law. can she pump the gas pedal while I turn it over with a screw driver.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

You all forget, my sister-in-law lives in the guest apartment that I built over the top of the garage/workshop where the Snow Trac lives. Oh, and she has a dog too.

I'm so sorry, we feel for you man, now we understand why you went on the trip.
If my sister in law lived above my garage I would be gone all the time.:flowers:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

He will give you the sno trac if you take the SIL along when you leave.:yum::yum:

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter

Way To Cheap !!! You are crushing the value of the other 2,000 Snot-Trac's that are owend & loved !! Rare-Machine = WHY!!! Money will never replace 1 fun ride with something that is as rare as having the owenership of the BEST private Trac-Machines ever built !! Hot Cars that sold for $4000 now worth=$55,000 Sno-Trac=new in '78 = $20,000+ now $9,000 ? I belive in keeping the love alive but a giveaway will only make you go thru all the spamers & scamers on something you will never own again ! KEEP IT FOR THE KID,S = just my op !

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Way To Cheap !!! You are crushing the value of the other 2,000 Snot-Trac's that are owend & loved !! Rare-Machine = WHY!!! Money will never replace 1 fun ride with something that is as rare as having the owenership of the BEST private Trac-Machines ever built !! Hot Cars that sold for $4000 now worth=$55,000 Sno-Trac=new in '78 = $20,000+ now $9,000 ? I belive in keeping the love alive but a giveaway will only make you go thru all the spamers & scamers on something you will never own again ! KEEP IT FOR THE KID,S = just my op !

Well to be honest my wife doesn't want me to sell it.

I'm not sure if its because she knows I like, OR, if its because she likes it, OR, if she is afraid of what I will buy next :whistling:

the old trucker

I thought those Snow Tracs were supposed to be great machines & hard to come by ?? I thought by the second post it would be sold. Is the selling price too high or too low ? Will the seals have to be replaced where it's been sitting for a period of time.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

I don't know snot about Snow Tracs, but my impression is that the price is very low as well. Certainly this is the wrong (worst?) time of year to be selling a snow cat and thus they bring less money. But still, $9K?

I think it was maybe four years ago I had a conversation with Bill Guthrie; he asked me if I'd seen the Snow Trac on ebay. IIRC it was nothing really special but sold for $13K. Bill thought that was quite high.

I submit yours is in much better shape. It seems the economy is picking up somewhat. Why not keep it at least until the fall when you'd get more for it, and during the intervening period think whether you really want to sell it.

Night-owl mentioned muscle cars; just think how many guys sold their Z/28's and Mach One's only to regret that decision later...

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I gave 8 thousand for one 4 years ago that was featured in two magazines and had many nos parts on it and new track bearings and engine.

Sno-Surfer

That sure looks like a nice machine. I would think it would sell in no time. Someone will be real happy with it. :brows: