• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How will Wall Street crisis affect average Americans?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
WASHINGTON - Average Americans have a lot at stake in how the widening financial crisis plays out. Here are some answers to questions about it:

Q. What does all this Wall Street volatility mean to me?

A. If you have a 401(k), you shield some of your income from taxation through an IRA or a lot of your retirement savings are in stocks, you've already seen a sharp drop in the value of your nest egg. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is on pace for one of its worst years ever, but even if you've parked your cash in a bank, today's rising inflation is eroding its value.

Q. Is this like 1929, when the stock market's crash led to widespread bank failures and the Great Depression?

A. No. The interventions so far by the Federal Reserve and the Treasury, the existence of federal deposit insurance for national bank customer accounts and the willingness of Congress and the president to fight the downturn with fiscal policy all underscore that there are safety cushions in place that didn't exist 80 years ago. Still, today's financial turmoil could spread, and the economy could suffer more before stability returns.

Q. Will the collapse of Lehman Brothers make things worse?

A. It could, or it could make things better. The weekend meetings between top federal regulators and senior executives of Wall Street firms resulted in the surprise takeover of Merrill Lynch by Bank of America and a lack of suitors for Lehman. Some analysts feared a Great Depression type of financial-market meltdown Monday morning, but markets were orderly, not panicked, as news of the events sank in.

With the government-brokered sale of investment bank Bear Stearns in March, Bank of America's absorbing of Merrill Lynch and the bankruptcy filing by Lehman, Wall Street's weakest players have been pushed off the field.

Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan remain the biggest traditional investment banks, and Merrill is expected to keep operating under its own name. The consolidation in investment banking has taken most insolvency concerns off the table, and over a longer horizon this could point toward a return to stability.

Q. What about the shorter horizon?

A. The chief executive officer of Bank of America, Kenneth Lewis, said Monday that he didn't see the clouds parting for his industry until 2010. Banks that still have exposure to the complex mortgage bonds that are at the heart of the crisis continue to get hammered. That includes Charlotte, N.C.-based Wachovia and Swiss giant UBS.

This financial crisis is still rooted in bad mortgages that were packaged into bonds and sold to investors. As long as home prices keep falling, investment and commercial banks that own vast piles of those bonds will keep taking write-downs and their bleeding will continue.

Q. How do these banking-sector problems affect me?

A. Problems in the banking sector spill into the broader economy. As these complex Wall Street investments sour, banks need to keep more capital on hand to assure investors that they can weather any future losses from loan portfolios. That means banks are playing defense.

If you want a business loan, a car loan, a home loan, a student loan or virtually any other kind of loan, they're hesitant to lend, lest they wind up with more bad loans. With lending drying up, auto dealers are sitting with inventory they can't move and real estate agents are showing homes they can't sell. The economy is slowing as credit is squeezed.

The crisis feeds on itself. As banks and corporations are perceived to be short of capital and their stock prices fall, their need to raise capital grows even as lenders are defensive. That forces them to sell assets at low prices, and it becomes a vicious circle. That's what insurance and finance giant American International Group now faces.

Q. Given all these risks, why isn't the government bailing out Lehman Brothers?

A. Bailouts are in the eye of the beholder. The Treasury Department and Federal Reserve determined that Lehman's problems had been well publicized since at least spring, other financial players had made adjustments to that and Lehman's failure thus didn't pose a risk of contaminating the broader global financial system the way the sudden failure of Bear Stearns would have if the feds hadn't intervened for it. But make no mistake, a bailout of Wall Street has been under way since last March, and deepened this weekend.

What the Federal Reserve began in March and expanded Sunday is the practice of taking all kinds of collateral in exchange for short-term emergency loans to investment banks. Previously, investment banks had never enjoyed this sort of borrowing because they aren't regulated the same way commercial banks are. The Fed now accepts as collateral a wide range of debt, securities and even the controversial mortgage bonds issued by the private sector and by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The Fed also is now lending to financial institutions that it doesn't regulate.

That can be seen as a bailout because the Federal Reserve is putting lots of suspect collateral on its books. That puts the taxpayer on the hook should there be a failure.

Q. Is there any good news for consumers?

A. Yes. One immediate consequence of Monday's Wall Street earthquake is that oil prices sank sharply as investors fled anything considered a risky bet, despite Hurricane Ike's disruption of oil facilities in the Gulf of Mexico area. The price for contracts of next-month deliveries of oil fell almost $6 a barrel. If prices stay lower than $100 a barrel, inflation pressures should ease substantially. That means gasoline prices should drop in the weeks ahead.

Another positive is that pressure is building on the Fed to cut already historically low interest rates. It could happen Tuesday, when the Fed's rate-setting Open Market Committee meets, or it could come in October, but banks and corporations need capital, and cutting rates lowers the cost of obtaining it.
http://www.newsobserver.com/1566/story/1219880-p2.html

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Q. Given all these risks, why isn't the government bailing out Lehman Brothers?

Why are they not bailing out small companies like mine :hammer: The industry that I am in has sucked for about 4 years now. Sales are over 50% less than they where 4 years ago, Gross margins don't eve come close to covering the overhead. If they can bail out 1 large company like Lehman they can bail out 10,000 small companies like mine (in the same industry) that make up the same amount as a Lehman.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Why are they not bailing out small companies like mine :hammer: The industry that I am in has sucked for about 4 years now. Sales are over 50% less than they where 4 years ago, Gross margins don't eve come close to covering the overhead. If they can bail out 1 large company like Lehman they can bail out 10,000 small companies like mine (in the same industry) that make up the same amount as a Lehman.

This is a very difficult topic Im not going to enter. I agree with your logic though. What industry are you in? What is your business? Just curious.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to post this and read through it like 6 times before I understood one bit of it.
The market isn't exactly something I grasp easily.

Trakternut

I hear ya Murph!

What'll this mean to me? I don't think a whole helluva lot, really. I'm guessing that my retirement income may be somewhat diminished, unless things turn around. But then, I sorta planned to work part-time during my retirement years anyway, so I probably will survive.
The upside is that oil prices, as stated in PG's post, are tumbling. That should relieve a lot of pressure on goods and services which I need to live day-to-day.
I guess, it'll be a wash in the end. :neutral:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I am in the home building business doing HVAC for residential houses.

Ohhhhhhhh SHIT man :doh::doh::doh::doh:

I am sorry. I really am. Thats beyond brutal. You have any lobyists? If so what are they doing?
Do you also put in attic fans? How about Sky Lights?

The upside is that oil prices, as stated in PG's post, are tumbling. That should relieve a lot of pressure on goods and services which I need to live day-to-day.

Thats only short term is the Dollar keeps getting weaker.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just moved 80% of my business cash to a local Credit Union today. I had previously used WAMU but it looks pretty close to the crapper and I'd rather not have to deal with an FDIC claim. I suspect I will ultimately close the WAMU account completely as I don't like having too many accounts.

Trakternut

I think you made a wise move, PB. I stick with a regionally-owned bank, myself.
I don't use those Wells Fargo-type chain banks.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone invest in the Euro? As far as investing in silver, I would have broken even I believe. (I didnt have any money to invest really) I do predict that it will hit around $18 at the end of October. If thats the case Gold will probably be around $1200. That would be a $400+ increase at todays prices. So... if we average it out, silver at $14.50 and gold at $1000.

Whatchu guys think?

Trakternut

Yeah, well, we woikin' stiffs ain't never gonna have a lot in savings. Seems like sumptin' always comin' long and wipin' 'em out.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I went with WAMU 10 years ago because they were one of the first no-fee banks around. These days everyone is doing it! :thumb:

I found this at Bankrate.com:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/safesound/ss_home.asp

The credit union I went with is 4 star rated so it should be fine.

I don't have tons of cash in my checking accounts but it is more the interruption to my business and bill payments that I am concerned with.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
No affect in the long run. If you are a day trader, you got hurt yesterday.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
the way i see it my 3rd quarter 427 statement (different kind of 401k) is going to be almost as ugly as my 4th quarter statement in 2001.
on the plus side, that means the $$ I'm putting into the mutual market each paycheck will be worth marginally more in 5 years than if the market hadn't made this "correction".

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
the way i see it my 3rd quarter 427 statement (different kind of 401k) is going to be almost as ugly as my 4th quarter statement in 2001.
on the plus side, that means the $$ I'm putting into the mutual market each paycheck will be worth marginally more in 5 years than if the market hadn't made this "correction".

At this rate, Wall Street is inadvertantly going to dance Obama into the White House and a bunch more communists into Congress - so it won't matter! You'll pay it so much in taxes the real value will be a non-issue by then....but you won't care because you'll have "free" health care and housing and who knows what else - oh, and tax credits too! :blink: :dizzy::sad:

Oops, slightly off the direction I think this thread was expected to go...:hide:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I'm thinking I should start stockpiling precious metals - like copper, lead...

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm thinking I should start stockpiling precious metals - like copper, lead...

No doubt; perhaps wise to bulk up your holdings in the chemical field as well; perhaps heavy on the nitrocelluous and a little lead styphnate too. :eek: