• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dynatrack aka XM571 steering

L

leopard_colony

Here is a stupid question... does the Dynatrack,aka XM571, steer strictly by bending in the middle. Can the front unit steer by itself?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I really need to research this brand. It sounds like it might be similar to a BV202??? I know that those units, as well as the newer BV206, can not be separated into 2 pieces.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
DYNATRACK

[SIZE=-1]SERIES OF FULL-TRACK ARTICULATED UTILITY CARRIERS[/SIZE]

dynatrackus_002.jpg

First seen in 1963 the Dynatrack aka CL-91 was a high mobility tracked vehicle consisting of two or three units connected by articulation joints which permitted displacement of the units up to 30° from the centreline in any direction.
A single 65-bhp Chevrolet Corvair air-cooled engine coupled to a heavy-duty four-speed Corvair transmission and two-speed transfer case drove all units at up to 30 mph over snow, mud and tundra. Its relatively lightweight construction and 20cm (8-inch) freeboard allowed it to swim at up to 3kph with a 900kg payload. In deep snow, with a full payload, it could tow 12 ski troops or an 1,100kg sledge and negotiate a 60% gradient and 40% side slope. In addition it was fitted with a 5,000lb capacity winch driven from a power-take-off. A 30,000 BTU personnel heater and artic top were fitted for use inartic enviroments. The tracks were 18-inch reinforced rubber with aluminium grousers and the suspension was torsion bar with shock-absorbers. Initially ten dynatrucks were produced, seven for US Army trials and three for testing. Eventually sixty-three Dynatracs were produced; fifty-seven (designated XM571) went to the US Army and two each to the Canadian and British Armies. Two were retained as test vehicles. Constant demands for additional accessories and increased performance by the US Army contnually disrupted production and eventually lead to it being abandoned.

RIANTS OF THE SERIES
  • Dynatrack Mk I - Original production version.
    Dynatrack Mk II - Three prototypes built by Canadair Flextrac Ltd in 1968.
    Dynatrack Mk III- Improved development version of the XM571
    Dynatrack [US Trials] - Vehicle supplied to the US Army for testing.
    XM571 - Series of production versions supplied to the US Army.
GENERAL RECOGNITION POINTS
  • Articulated two/three-section tracked vehicle.
  • Four small spoked wheels.
WEBSITES HELP IDENTIFY

DOCUMENTS
page was last updated on 07/31/2008 15:54:20

L

leopard_colony

I found out the front can steer alone using clutch/brake method. I paid for the one in Bullhead City, AZ. Now all I have to do is get it home to Iowa. I've arranged with Secure Auto Transport to transport it. Yes, I now know they have a bad reputation. Otherwise I can obtain a trailer and haul it myself. If I take the tracks off, no cargo, and no fuel I'm down to about 4000 lb for both sections combined. Now if I can just find out more about the one in CA.
LeDoyle